RE:Electric Transportation Are you ready?

Well watching the local news tonight I see that someone local has stepped up to create an affordable electric car that really doesn't look all that bad to me. Anyway I wish them the best of luck and may even look at one myself some time after they have proven themselves.

Here is the news link:
Eugene firm launching three-wheeled electric car | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon | Business

Eugene firm launching three-wheeled electric car

090922_Arcimoto.jpg
<!--startclickprintexclude--> Larry Milligan works inside a "Pulse" electric car prototype in the Arcimoto company garage in the Whiteaker neighborhood of Eugene, Ore. (AP Photo/The Register-Guard, Paul Carter)
<!--endclickprintexclude-->
<!--startclickprintexclude--> Tools

<script language="javascript1.2">var partnerID=110006; var _hb=1;</script><script language="javascript1.2" src="http://www.clickability.com/includes/button1.js"></script><script language="JavaScript"> window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.location.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href; </script>
Close

<iframe id="jqmContent" src="http://www.katu.com/news/business/60280427.html"></iframe>

Story Published: Sep 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM PDT
Story Updated: Sep 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM PDT

By TIM CHRISTIE Eugene Register-Guard

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - Tucked away in a nondescript garage off an unpaved alley in Eugene's Whiteaker neighborhood, a group of young entrepreneurs is trying to catch the next wave of human transport by building an affordable, rechargable electric vehicle.

The company is called Arcimoto, and it will unveil a prototype of its first vehicle, the Pulse, on Wednesday at Pioneer Square in downtown Portland.

If all goes to plan, customers will be lining up to post $500 deposits on the first Pulses, which are set to roll off the production line about this time next year, said Erik Stafl, Arcimoto's 23-year-old CEO.

With the prototype in place, the company hopes to secure up to $10 million in investor funding, open the production facility somewhere in the Eugene-Springfield area, and employ 30 to 40 employees to build about 200 to 300 vehicles in the first year, Stafl said.

"We think this is a great place to be," he said.

The Pulse is a three-wheeled, two-seat, fully enclosed electric vehicle, powered by a 62-horsepower electric motor and energized by eight 12-volt lead-acid batteries. It features a complete roll cage around the passenger compartment, and the final product will feature many of the amenities of modern cars, including power locks and windows, an MP3-capable stereo system, keyless entry, optional air-conditioning and, of course, cup holders.

The vehicle should be quick off the line, handle like a sports car and be fun to drive, with a top speed of about 55 mph, Stafl said. The range for a base model will be about 50 miles between charges, and the car can get fully recharged in six to eight hours by plugging it into a household outlet, he said.

The cost of running the vehicle should be 1 to 2 cents per mile, compared to 10 cents or more per mile to run a gas car, he said. Electric vehicles require little maintenance - no oil changes, for instance - and emit no polluting greenhouse gases.

"A lot of people will be interested in those benefits," he said. "A lot of people are interested in green technology. They want to save a lot of money on gas and save the environment at the same time."

Arcimoto is getting into the market at a time when the electric vehicle industry is starting to take off, and the startup company will face some stiff competition as it tries to win the hearts, minds and pocket-books of green-minded consumers.

"It's going to be the Wild West for the next five to 10 years" in the electric vehicle industry, Stafl said.

Last month, the White House announced $2.4 billion in federal stimulus funds would go to businesses nationwide to develop electric vehicle technologies.

An Arizona company, Electric Transportation Engineering Corp., is planning to use Oregon cities along the Interstate 5 corridor, including Eugene, as a testing ground for a network of charging stations for electric vehicles.

There are dozens of other electronic vehicle - or EV - startups. The Web site Venturebeat.com tallied no fewer that 30 last year. In addition, many of the big automobile players are developing their own offerings. General Motors, Chrysler, Nissan and Ford all plan to introduce battery-powered electric vehicles next year.

"Unlike when hybrids first came to the U.S., when we had one or two manufacturers and then others came on board, pretty much everyone is working on this now," said Jennifer Watts, spokeswoman for the Electric Drive Transportation Association, a Washington, D.C., trade group. "It's a race to the market."

Oregon is among the five markets where Nissan plans to sell its first electric vehicle, called the Leaf. Nissan has said it plans to sell the Leaf at a price competitive with the Toyota Prius, the popular gas-electric hybrid vehicle, which has a starting list price of $22,000. The new Honda Insight, another gas-electric hybrid, has a starting list price of $19,800.

Persuading consumers to buy a vehicle from an obscure startup company may be a tough sell, but Stafl said he thinks Arcimoto can carve out a niche in the EV market. For instance, the company won't try to compete with Tesla Motors, the California startup whose first model is a high-performance sports car energized by lithium-ion batteries and carries a price tag of more than $100,000.

Arcimoto hasn't yet set a price for the Pulse, but plans to list it for less than $20,000, making it an affordable option for people looking for a clean, low-maintenance commuter car, he said.

Arcimoto will market the Pulse as a vehicle for people who live in urban areas and who spend a lot of time commuting or driving around town, rather than a vehicle intended to replace the family sedan or SUV.

"It's not a vehicle you'd take on a ski trip," he said.

The Pulse also should be attractive to businesses as a delivery vehicle, Stafl said.

Arcimoto was founded in 2007 by Mark Frohnmayer, son of former University of Oregon President Dave Frohnmayer and one of the founders of GarageGames, a company that develops tools for game makers.

Last year, Frohnmayer hired Stafl, who holds degrees in electrical engineering and computer science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, to run the company.

Frohnmayer has invested just over $1 million to date in the company, Stafl said, and the company plans to seek $7.5 million to $10 million in financing from venture capital firms so that it can start a production line, Stafl said.

Stafl and a crew of 13, including three refugees from the RV manufacturing industry, have been working feverishly to get the prototype, a blue vehicle with a sunroof, completed in time for Wednesday's launch.

The company's current headquarters - a garage off Blair Boulevard with offices in the back - is a hive of activity as techs work to finish the vehicle's interior in time for the launch.

Re: Electric Transportation Are you ready?

I think we'll all be headed this way eventually. Won't be all bad, either. I'm waiting for something cool and funky from Fran of RCR, with high performance from ultra low weight.

Cheers,

Dalton

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

All well and good

But
1) Are there not already electric supply problems in some states where supply is below demand - especially at hot times when everyone turns on the aircon?
2) Are they not just moving to source of CO2 from the exhaust pipe to the power station? Most burn fossil fuel andgenerate high CO2 emissions - also the losses in transmitting the electricity any distance has massive losses from the power lines - all this needs factored in before CO2 emissions can be confirmed.

Sorry but I am still undecided on this until such time that we can generate the electricity without burning dinosaurs

Ian

Keith

Spot on Ian, and don't forget that a) You have to add the manufacturing process to the consumption of energy for cars like this, and b) We've already been warned that "electricity supplies in the UK can no longer be guaranteed at current (ho ho) levels of consumption."

Because of political dithering and PC interference, the system (?) we have for producing energy is a clusterfuck of ancient technology (fossil burning), a smidgen of efficient, sustainable but still highly unpopular energy production (nuclear power) and some wild hippy schemes that blight the landscape with moaning propellors..

When the lights start going out is when there will be action.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Like at a party when "electric cars" came up and a normally intellegent lady (a teacher) when I asked "where will all the electricity for these cars comes from?", replied "why from the outlet in the garage, silly!!!"

Electric cars... Hmmm... Lets see, would I buy one?

Nope. In fact, Hell No!.

Why? They are currently a joke. A BAD joke. Sure, they give no emissions when in use, but the energy has to come from somewhere. Where? - A Power Station. Which will more than likely be burning fossil fuels. And as has been noted by Ian, the electricity grid in the majority of developed countrys is barely able to keep up with the current demand for electricity. Add a couple of million cars charging to the demand and the system will overload and shut down.

Then there's the matter of convenience. A petrol/diesel powered car can generally run for several hundred miles before it needs to refuel, then you spend 5 minutes at a gas station and you're ready to go again. Its a convenient, proven system that has a large infrastructure in place to supply it. Electric cars on the other hand, tend to run for 50-100 miles, then take between 6-16 hours to recharge. For an example, the vehicle above has a stated range of 50 miles on a 6-8 hour charge. That's fine if you live within 25 miles of your workplace. If you don't, then you'd better be able to recharge your car while at work, or be prepared to get towed home from wherever you run out of charge. Not convenient.

Currently (to the best of my knowledge) there's only one system for emmissions friendly motoring that is practical. Fuel cells. With a fuel cell, you basically pump hydrogen in one end and get electricity and water out the other. Plug that electricity into a motor, put the motor in a car. Hey-Presto, a zero-carbon emission vehicle. Honda are trialing the system in california, and as I see it, it's the future of the car. You go to a gas station, spend 5 minutes filling the pressure tank with liquid hydrogen, then you have a range of a couple of hundred miles before you need to refuel. Just like a petrol car. Yes, at the moment the infrastructure is limited, but that will change as it's a heckuvalot easier and cheaper to install the necessary hydrogen storage tanks in gas stations than it is to build the dozens of power stations needed to make the battery powered cars practical.

See here:- Honda FCX Clarity - Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle - Official Web Site

Anyhoo, as this is my first post, I'm off to go do my intro bit...

Cheers... G

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

Liquid Hydrogen?

Yes that is good but how do they get the hydrogen?

Use Electricity from the national grid to split water into it's parts and then use more electricity to compress the gas into liquid state

Also remember the Heidelberg? Imagine how much hydrogen in liquid form you would get under your "gas station" Big flamer there! (and not from Burger King)

Again no emissions in use but loads in the production

Not knocking anything here but I still see no viable alternative
Yes use regenerative braking HHO in the car to utilise the energy shed as heat from the brakes and then feed it back into the engine to accelerate away from stop - great

Ian

Everyone knows that the power has to come from somewhere. What many people do not realize is that a power station burns it's energy source at a constant rate that is far more efficient overall than an automobile engine that operates throughout a much larger range, including very inefficient regions such as acceleration. And yes, there are losses in getting the electricity to your house for recharging, but there are also losses in transporting gasoline to your car.

Some of the problems with hydrogen are 1) getting it (takes lots of energy) and 2) storing it (takes lots of energy). I'm not saying that hydrogen can't or won't happen, but if there are alternatives to fill the gap right now that can compete with gasoline in terms of efficiency, why not use them? If we don't try, we won't succeed. Hell, I'd buy an electric car for everyday commuting if it offered efficiency gains. Geez, my everyday car right now is 1995 Jetta. I'd gladly give that up for one of these.

Another huge environmental issue regarding electric cars - battery production and
disposal. This is actually worse than the electricity generation problem.

Ian

There are elecrtic aircraft out now. One is coming out of China, 2 seat Light Sport catagory, can go up to 9000ft, has a glide ratio of 25.1, Only good for about 1.5 hours but pretty interesting.

I looked into these "cars" what they dont say is they do not handle hills at all (I live in a hilly place). Not against improving any technology, but when you say to these guys, how about a supplimental propane powered generator to help with electric you get sneared at. I had one place actually find an interest in my idea. Thats a first.

Production cars will go the way of the prius (ghag) and the much larger and efficient Ford Fusion Hybrd.

Battery capacity is the issue. If you want to drop 120K on an electric there is one out there that does reportedly 120 miles on a charge. Not really cost effective.

BTW, I am sure the GT40 is light enough to convert, even with the heavy transaxle.

Just think, you will be able to buy carbon credits to offeset you guilt. lol

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

I frequently travel into London and I am noticing Prius cars more and more - they are quite a a distinctive shape after all.
I think if I lived on the fringes of the city and needed to travel into the centre - especially in the Congestion Zone ( £8 per day), more for the convenience I would have one.
I was also collected at 0430 in a taxi in Imola recently and it was a hybrid. I didn't hear it arrive. I have to say for limited runs within town they are the way forward.
If you see Oxford Street where only diesels are allowed (Taxis and Buses) on a calm day in winter the fumes are just choking.

Back