Rear Clip Locating Pins...

Kim Haun

Supporter
I'm finishing the last details of my RCR GT40 and have a question regarding the rear clip locating pins. I only installed the front 2 pins on the rear clip thinking I would do the other 2 at this point in time. I have driven the car for 300 miles with a couple of track days and haven't noticed any movement of the rear clip and am thinking of not using the other 2 pins. Bad idea? Let me know what you think.

Kim

IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0368.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Agree with Frank....
Also, if you think about what that latch would go through with even a minor rear impact you can be assured that 4 pins in the rear will absorb more of that stress than would 2 pins...

Kim Haun

Supporter
Agree with Frank....
Also, if you think about what that latch would go through with even a minor rear impact you can be assured that 4 pins in the rear will absorb more of that stress than would 2 pins...

I didn't consider it as helping with an impact. I thought their function was more for keeping things in alignment. I do have a 1/2" stainless steel pin in the center of the clip as well as the Hartwell latches.

Kim

IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I didn't consider it as helping with an impact. I thought their function was more for keeping things in alignment. I do have a 1/2" stainless steel pin in the center of the clip as well as the Hartwell latches.

Kim

View attachment 109740View attachment 109741

Alignment would surely be more precise with 4 pins - you're correct there. Nice job with the single pin up top! That should keep the clip from lifting off!

Back