Registering an APEX

This is for all you current and future APEX builders, are you planning on reusing the VIN from the Eclipse donor or receiving a new VIN?

This is for all you current and future APEX builders, are you planning on reusing the VIN from the Eclipse donor or receiving a new VIN?

California is somewhat unique with SB100 I think, but in a nutshell we:

1. go to dmv apply for registration and sb100
2. go to Highway Patrol...get assigned NEW vin and look for stolen parts.
3. go to BAR referee smog check, light and safety tests
4. return to dmv with everything.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Safety tests?

Could those referees refuse to approve an Apex project b/c of the absence of factory safety features like rear energy absorbing bumpers?

Admittedly I am not from CA and therefore not familiar with SB100, but it seems to me that if a party wants to build up a replica from a kit that does not comply with safety regs, then that seems OK....however, taking a factory production car with safety features and disabling or removing those features...could that be an issue, or is SB100 concerned with exhaust emissions only?

Your thoughts??

Just curious...why not use the factory VIN? Remember the VW powered kits like the Karma and Magnum? Those VW chassis were shortened, and yet those kits were still registered using the factory VW VIN.

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:
We talked about this in the really long Apex thread. My conclusion was the best way to go in Ca. is to go SB100 with new VIN.

Since it isn't a replica of another car, you get the smog requirement of 1965 and can basically do what you want with exhaust, turbos, engine swaps, etc. If you use the title of the original car, you must use the same equipment that it had or risk a smog check fail.

At least that's the gist of what I recall about it when I looked into it.

As for safety, I don't believe they look for energy absorbing zones and such (otherwise how would Cobras pass?). I think it is more that it has seatbelts, things are permanently attached, etc. Basic stuff.

Admittedly I don't know much about the safety inspections myself because I haven't done them, but I believe they focus on the lights and brakes. I've read that everyone tests somewhat differently too. They test for stuff like DOT brake lines, brake lights X inches high/bright etc, not stuff like air bags or absorption zones. Honestly I think the focus is less on your safety and more on everyone elses safety if that makes sense.

No "safety" check here that I'm aware of. You'll need to have the brake and light check done at an independent service station. The BAR only checks your smog-related issues, and that shouldn't be a problem unless the inspector decides that you still are driving an Eclipse. Then, it would be a BIG problem.

The DMV only wants your money, your receipts, and paperwork from the BAR and lamp check...Mostly, they want your money, but they will ask for the other stuff.

As Glenn mentioned we are going with the original VIN. Saves on registration and taxes too. We will be smog compliant and except for airbags and safety bumpers everything else is there. Airbags and safety bumpers are not an issue in VA or NC for inspection perposes. That not to say if someone wanted to register it as a custom build with a new VIN they could do so, even here. Bring all of your receipts!

I see that you are in VA, not CA. Ignore what I said about the DMV, it doesn't apply to you. Which is a very good thing.

Well, I am located everywhere. Military life has moved me around the world. I've been living overseas in Germany for half a year now and would like to build an APEX the next time I am stationed stateside.

I more than likely will be stationed in California for my next duty station so the info is greatly appreciated. I knew the SB100 allowed you the choice of body style or engine year. I did not know that if it does not resemble any other car it defaults to the 1960 emissions.

Back