Renault Medallion transaxle #'s NG9 -00 ?

Renault Medallion transaxle #\'s NG9 -00 ?

I'm a newby. I've looked at all 24 pages of posts and all those transaxles and haven't found an answer. In the US, Eagle Medallions (that I've found) have NG9-00 tag codes. Is it the same as a 369? Usable? I tried to check the gear ratios last night. I'm going to have to do it more accurately. It would have taken a 3.1 differential with a .86 5th to get the turns I saw. First matched a 369 with a 3.36 first and a 3.778 differential. Thoughts or experience, please.

Re: Renault Medallion transaxle #\'s NG9 -00 ?

Ken, GT40s fitted with Renault boxes use the UN1, the NG9 is not the same transmission, it`s smaller and weaker, not recomended mate.

Stuartb,
Today I emailed John Welch of jwengineering. I got the address and website from a link on transaxles posted here. He said that the case was a UN1 / 369 case and only the gear set (i.e. ratios) were different. Can you help me by sending me in a direction that will provide technical info on the NG9?
Thanks a lot from a newbie
Ken

Ron Earp

Admin

You might wish to search around on this forum for more transaxle info. Renaults are almost non-existant in the US. I have one in my Lotus, so do a few thousand other people, and that is it (besides the handful of GT40 replicas with Renaults, of which there are not that many). If you're US bound you'd be better to use a Porsche, Audi, or ZF unit for parts availability.

R

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Ken,

The first question is what type of car are you looking at? My guess would be either GTD or Tornado. Ron makes a VERY good point and other trannys have been put in both of those types of car. I would suggest you go to Kennedy Engineerd Products and order one of their catalogs. They talk about a wide range of transaxles and rank them by suitability. It is better that Kennedy do this than one of us. Price wise, you can't beat the Audi, strength wise you can't beat the Porsche 930 and G50/xx series, originality wise you can't beat the ZF/RBT. Bye the way, the Porsche, when flipped upside down, will give you the lowest center of gravity. Another good source of information is the Ultima community. Some of those guys have done a lot of research in comparing transaxles as have some of the guys here. (Look for attached spreadsheets and files.) I'll look to see if I still have some of this info; I lost a LOT in a recent hard drive crash.

Regards,
Lynn

[ QUOTE ]
Renaults are almost non-existant in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron, I think the point that Ken is making is that Chrysler, under the old Eagle brand, used Renault transaxles in the Eagle Medallion car which was sold in the US. Therefore, there is a potential source for Renault transaxles in US junkyards. Ken is trying to find out the similarities between the transaxle that Chrysler used in the Eagle Medallian and the Renault transaxles with which the GTD guys in Europe have so much success.

Sorry, Ken, I can't help you but I will be interested to see what you find out.

Ken, do you have one of these NGs in hand? I have an R-21 right next door to you, in New Hampshire. Seems a little comparison could clear the air.

Brian

Ron Earp

Admin

Ah Ha! I missed this for some damn reason. Now, this could be very interesting for other purposes too - Lotus people have a hell of a time finding boxes. Of course, Eagles weren't exactly Fords in the US either, but there should be some around. I know I saw a fair number of Eagle Talons, but the Medallian sedan draws a blank. How many were sold you reckon?

Ron Earp

Admin

Can you post pictures of the Eagle transaxle??? Or send me some I'll post them, that would help a lot.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Ken, Here's a sorce for you www.wcengineering.com then on the left hand side of the page see service work. They are into loti, or is that lotus's, transaxle rebuilding. I have not done any busness with them but the web site looks interesting.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Ken,

I did some searching for Chrysler Medalion trannys for a while and watched eBay for a few months as well, but I never found one. That doesn't mean they can't be found, but it won't be easy.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen

Ken,
Here you go:
Renault UN1
2e_1.JPG

Ron, Earl, Howard et al
Thanks for the help. I have a NG9 that came from a 88 Eagle Medallion. I will take some pictures tonight and post them. I found car-parts.com could supply Medallion transaxles for about the same price as the Audi. $75 to $450. I paid $250 for one with 42k miles on it. I made a mistake last time when I said jw engineering, it is as Howard says wcengineering.com.

I had the photo of a UN1 / 369 with me when I bought this one. It certainly looks similar to my untrained / inexperienced eye. I'll be interested to see what everyone can tell from the pictures. I did notice that the case casting has some numbers. Maybe they'll match something.
Thanks again
Ken

Ron,
Missed your first question. I have not picked a car manufacturer yet. I have built a space frame for a Lotus 7 clone / Locost. I am tempted to buy a body only and build the rest. I like projects and get bored with finished ones.

Now to the pictures. I shot all sides and both ends. I included one in normal, laying on the floor attitude and one with the Medallion cast aluminum mounts.

The casting numbers are only on the left side (7700598990) and end cap / shifter (7700598829). They are probably only Medallion #'s and mean nothing.

And the last picture is of the id tag, typically Renault.
(Sorry everyone, but I didn't realize the pictures had to be website based. I don't have a place to post them. Email me and I'll send them to you.) <font color="blue"> </font>
We may go nowhere with this, but it sure is fun!
Thanks for the help everyone.
Ken

Attachments

• 40238-ng9right.JPG
    40238-ng9right.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 953

Ken, you can use the forum to host pictures, like the one you attached to your post. If you want to attach multiple pictures then you need to do so with multiple posts - one per picture attachment.

First thing: I'm not building a GT-40, although I have always absolutely loved those cars. I am at the very beginnings of designing my own scratchbuilt mid engine car but I have the same transaxle issues. I too have been considering the Medallion tranny. Does anyone know of availability or have dimensional information, schematics, drawings, etc... on any of these trannies? I did find the drawings on Hewland's site but I have a lower spending limit then that on the tranny.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Chris, My advice would be to decide what transaxle you are going to use. This will will be determined by power output and to a lesser extent car weight. The R21 or a Audi will work very well up to about 375 HP in a 2500 pound car. Beyond that do a porshe.

Then I would get my hands on one even if it is a broken one
along with a mockup motor. Again maybe a broken motor also.

Then you can build the chassis around the assembled powertrain without it don't fit dramma later.

This was really helpful to me. I'm having some work done on a GTD40 I foolishly purchased in the UK and tried to ship to the US. Only to find that the EPA would let it in but the DOT said NO WAY! Shipped it back, took two years, found a shop to break it down into separate containers, had it shipped back to Florida where the guy reassembling it fired all of his employees and shipped the car to me in Birmingham. I've got a great group doing the rebuild and we were trying to figure out exactly what the hell kind of transmission/transaxle was in there, now I know.
Thanks to you all - from a newbie, John Z

Attachments

• 41697-GT40Small.jpg
    41697-GT40Small.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 570

Thanks Howard - that is exactly how I am going about this. You guys may cringe when I say this, but I am going for a more low budget design (plus I have a thing for BMW's) so I am going to use a 3.0 or 3.5 liter BMW 6 cyl. I therefore don't need a tranny that will hold over 300 HP. I am shooting for a total weight limit of 2000 lb, but that may be a difficult target given limited funds so I'll have to see when the frame design starts.

The thing is, if I never get the time / money / space to go ahead with this, I will have had plenty of enjoyment designing it. My goal is to build it, but I am going to slowly be collecting the parts - I'm hoping that way I can take advantage of "once in a blue moon" good deals as opposed to paying full price for something NOW because I'm in desperate need of it.

Back