Renault UN1 thrust bearing.

I have now covered 6,000 miles in my car, done a few track days and the trip to the Classic Le Mans a few months ago. I also did Bruntingthorpe a few weeks back where I really did give the car some stick - lets just say I was getting the back end out !
Whilst testing out a few adjustments I had made to the car a few days back I had an unusual noise appear just as the clutch is about to bite. It operates fine and the gears all work and engage fine, just this odd noise. I have a standard Mustang style clutch and flywheel and the one-piece Tornado bellhousing. Anyway I decided to investigate today and discovered that the thrust bearing seems to have collapsed a bit and melted the plastic type backing behind it. Having spoken to Brian McGee he seemed to think this was the same problem that Ian O'Riley had at the classic 2 years back and Chris Cole would be the man to contact and get an uprated item. I called Chris and one is now in the post.
I'm just curious if this is an issue anybody else has come across ? Another thought Brian had was that maybe the bearing isn't fully disengaging and rotating the bearing all the time - this could cause problems over time and the bearing wouldn't last too long. Anyway thanks Brian for the advice and please post if anybody has seen this before.

Hi ya Paul, Brian's probably right, they don't last long if you keep 'em spinning. Other possibles worth checking are lack of play in the clutch cable or anything fouling the pedal at full rest, oh, and drivers leaning a foot against the clutch pedal, anything that creats drag'll do it.
By the way, well done to you and Tony on the mention in Classic and Sports Car mag', top job mate.

Hey Stuart,

Haven't spoken to you since the op - all ok ????
I have noticed that my UN1 gets really hot driving swiftly on normal roads is this normal ?????
I have got a bearing off Chris Cole, so need to fit it.
I also discovered that the adaptor shaft from the 302 clutch into the renault had jammed itself in the bearing surround in the crank. After a bit of grinding it seems ok now - I think the bearing housing spinning was the noise I could hear. The thrust bearing seemed a bit stiff/scratchy but would still operate.

I'm thinking of fitting a cooler if the trans gets this hot all the time - can anybody recomend a reasonably priced pump for the oil ?

Last edited:
Back