Review this chassis design please

By looking at the Factory Five chassis GraemeS posted, there doesnt seem to be much side support with that one diagonal bar. Do the Backbone, and upper roll bars connecting the 2 verticals give enough support to keep the car from flexing at the mid section?

Have attached an overhead of the 906 chassis.

Chris, I would be interested on your thoughts on how you will be fabricating your Porsche chassis. I believe the originals (906/908/917's) all were made using chrome molly alloy steel tube. This provides more strength than mild steel equivalent tube but requires TIG welding which I have no experience with.

I was contemplating using slightly thicker mild steel tube (maybe 1026 alloy) to compensate. This would allow me to use MIG but with a chassis weight increase of about 70 kg.

Attachments

• 58638-906-3.jpg
    58638-906-3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 312
Hi Trevor

I think we think along the same lines and a mild steel seamless tube with a small increase in wall thickness should be fine.
Some of the original cars had alloy tube chassis and were gas welded. This can be scene in the 917 frame shots below.
Looks like the welder used a catapult!
Regards
Chris.

Attachments

• 58761-917frameenginebay.jpg
    58761-917frameenginebay.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 333

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Off the subject but what are the tie down loops at the end of the front axles called and where can they be purchased?

Back