Rf 117

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter
wow your RF looks amazing, the thing what dose it for me is the headlights and rear spoiler... wow

she sure goes well too :thumbsup:

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Lain
Yes my high HP motor chews through a lot more fuel than my current one too. GT40 to NZ is definitely on and I have been consumed with the mountain of tasks to complete. Got a bit of a shock last night when I was told my entry for Teretonga in Invercargill hadn't been recieved, so I'm now adding confirmation of entry to that huge list of things to do. It's almost overwhelming and not unlike the feeling I had while building the car.You finish one job and pat yourself on the back only to look at the remaining jobs thinking,will it ever end? Of course I have the added pressure of having to do well for my team in NZ too.

Ross:thumbsup:

You wouldnt be the first and you wont be the last, when you have a surname like mine you tend to develop a fairly thick skin !

Did you make your budget figure for your transport ? You can put me down for $200 check is in the post to ????? (Address)

Do I understand that the new engine is finished & running ?

Rear Louvre

I am looking for a rear louvre for the engine bay that has the "louvre" look as opposed to the 8 ovals that almost everyone else seems to use, any ideas ?

Iain

Iain I made a different rear louve but it is at the paint shop untill the new year,(found crack just befor painting) I cannot find a pic of it, I did send a pic to Peter Delaney some time ago he may still have it. I will send some photos ASAP it is styled on the new ford GT rear louve. I think it looks much better but I would say that.

Darrell
DRB
LS1 G50

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Darrell, sorry but I couln't find that pic you sent.

Iain, here's a scrappy old pic of a standard aly DRB louvre panel - available as a spare part from DRB.

Mine is ceramic coated & has stood up to nearly 10,000km without any sign of being affected by the heat.

It would be interesting to know whether this panel is in a high or low pressure area, and whether the louvres are better at extracting hot air than the simple holes (which I suspect is true).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• Fuji Pictures D 016.jpg
    Fuji Pictures D 016.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 698
Iain,
I have the louvered panel that came with my car. I never put it on the car and have it somewhere in my basement. I just have to find it. If I can, you can have it as I have no use for it. I installed the oval design some time ago and like its looks. So when I find it I will let you know.

Bill

Iain
Early on there was much discussion about aero balance. Can you give us some insight into the decision to go with a wing vice spoiler, and how the balance seems to be working?

Also, and I can't believe this question hasn't been asked yet, is there a chance your builders would give any thought to making some of the engineered bits available for us to purchase? Specifically, I'm thinking of things like the headlight bezels and the wing.

Found this old pic of my rear louve. I will put up some more when it is fitted to my car it will be painted to match the car colours.

Darrell
DRB LS1 G50

Attachments

• louve.jpg
    louve.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Darell,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, your design seems completley different to everyone else, is that standard to the new GT 40 or did you design it yourself.?

Iain

Hi Peter,

I am hoping that the "regular" louvre panel will help to extract hot air from the engine bay, but I have to say that my initial fears about heat in the engine bay seem (to date ) to be unfounded

Iain

Hi 429 Mustang,

Sorry dont know your name !

The aero package on the car is still in the early days of development, we now have a fairly good handle on how the rear wing is working, fortunatley our engine builder has given us sufficient power & torque to allow us to dial in as much or as little downforce as we require without having to worry too much about the resulting additional drag. the front air dam / splitter is a lttle more complex. Whilst reducing air under the front of the car is a clear benefit it is not always particularily practical. So the question is how to best deal with the air that enters under the car and how to turn it to your advantage. Now I must expalain that I am learing as we go along but my new very best friend (JP Ballard....Ex Toyota now Williams) has been in Australia twice over the last three months and has been more that generous with his time and knowledge
So we have a mountain of ideas to work through with a mole hill of money ! Sound familiar ?

I am quite willing to share any of the enginering information that we have generated during the process. I ,like most of all the guys on the site, would love to give up full time work & create a business from the experiences we have been through in creating our cars, sadly that will probably never happen, so let me knoe what you want & I will do my best to help sort ot out,

Regards

Iain

Bill,

Thanks for your help, very happy to pick up the transport costs from the USA, please let me know if you manage to find it in your basement and watch out for big bad Jack

Iain

Iain I have made a number of changes to my car to make it appear less like a sixty's car,this is one of them. I designed it after looking at the new Ford GT it is made of thin alloy sheet tig, tack, welded together and boged (bondo for our US friends) over, the bog cracked while it was being sanded for painting and is still at the paint shop. I should have welded it up fully but I am always learning by my mistakes. I will put up some shots as soon as it is painted.

Darrell
DRB LS1 G50
Tunsten with silver stipes

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Peter,

I am hoping that the "regular" louvre panel will help to extract hot air from the engine bay, but I have to say that my initial fears about heat in the engine bay seem (to date ) to be unfounded

Iain

Iain, heat under the clip is an issue with CAT's, but not much of a problem without them - do not ask how I know !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay in my reply,

The headlight bezels are something that I have fabricated myself. I could produce another pair but they will take quite a lot of work to mount. You will need to fabricate a frame to mount the actual lights then the covers slide over the top.

The rear wing cost me $1,200 (Aussie Dollar) we then had to fabricate a support frame that is adjustable (Find a Porsche GT3 Cup car wing & copy) We also had to make the supports that went through the body work and fixed to the inner guard, once agian quite a lot of work.

Let me know if you are interested in either and we can take it from there.

Iain

Hi Iain,

When does the Grp 2 series start for you? Do you have dates and what would be the dates for Victorian tracks? It would be great to round up a few GT40s as we all would like to come along and support you.

Andrew E

Back