Ross racing this weekend

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Tim
I'm actually quite happy with the feel of the steering on my car, so the only reason I would move/ shim the rack is if I found bumpsteer a problem. I have to say with the speed the car is cornering at now, I don't get much thinking time for diagnosis while driving, so I have to reflect. I have my rack movement limited to stop the wide wheels/tyres rubbing the chassis at full lock. The only thing that bugs me about the steering is the amount of steering wheel movement you have to do for a corner.I reckon I have my hands around at 7 o'clock to get round a 90 degree left hander and I would be happier if the rack was faster so my hands only had to move to 8 or 9 o'clock for the corner.I haven't fitted the new 2 piece front brake rotors yet so I ran out of effective front brakes in the last 10 lap race. The result was a very squirmy rear end coming into corners that required heavy braking, not to mention the worry whether I was actually going to get the car slow enough to turn. My car accelerates very well and now the corner speed is higher, I'm quicker down the straight too. I don't have any stability issues, the car is like a jet on rails.This is partly due to the fact that I have to bring it up to a new higher limit because it has a higher grip level.I just don't know how to describe the improvment in the car's handling in any other way than to say my confidence levels have shot up by 1000 percent.
Ross

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ross and Tim, thanks for you input I'll have a fiddle and see what happens.
I am very happy with the way the car handles on the road and the couple of laps I have had around QLD Raceway, the problem I am having is the force required to park. You are right Ross, skinny tires are not an option. Sorry for drifting? so far off topic.

Back