Rotors, calipers and wheels

Howard, 15 inches - see the car on the front cover of Trvor Legates book - then look at the detail inside, that car has 300 rotors, CP5000 Calipers and the correct geometry ! Frank

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ok thanks frank, I have 17's so I have a lot more clearance to work with. But I am sure you are correct you can fit very effective brakes into a 15 inch wheel. Also GTD's do require "some" suspension geometery work don't they. I'm just finding this out after my first trip to the alinement shop.
Thanks again. HDJ

Howard, the AP brakes we use are very effective, giving us massive braking ability on the circuits, and without use of servos ( boosters ) Frank

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Bill,

""The problem lies in the fitment""

After working with the vette rotors and hubs I think the problem is that the Vette stuff is designed for stock one piston calipers which are much narrower on the outside of the rotor. The wilwood dynalite fits but it's on the small side for a 4 piston caliper. Wilwood is nice because they have dimensioned drawings of all their calipers on their web site so you can see if they fit.

www.wilwood.com

""If it means I have to have less offset, then that is what I will have to consider""

less offset is sometimes better for handling, in the front it decreases your scrub radius.

""Its either that or go to the larger wheel.""

that was the compromise I made with the 16" wheel, looks more original than the 17" and has more tire choices.

""The inside of those wheels must be different than those you and I can get, or the calipers are not available to the public, or their cost is beyond us.""

I think it's because of the hub offset from the rotor centerline to the wheel mount face, the racing stuff gives more room for larger calipers. Some wheels also have a raised area at the mount face on the wheel center and then the rest of wheel center is further outboard to give room for the caliper.

"" I wouldn't mind using the Weld wheels that many of the dirt and short asphalt guys use, but their catalog states "not for use on the street" or "not DOT approved". ""

I don't know which Weld wheel your talking about but I do know the "dragstar" is specifically for drag racing and not designed for cornering G's.

Back