round headlights?

Hi Guys,

I was surfing the net for GT40 pics, and I came accross these two cars.

st02_11.jpe

st02_13.jpe

Do these round headlight models come from any kit manufacturer you know? Or are they after-market modifications?

I quite like the headlights on the red car, I think it makes it look more aggressive while still keeping with the style of the 40. I don't really like the standard rectangular lights.

On the other hand, the light setup on the black car make it look totally different.
The slope of the lights really exagerates the lines of the guards. It doesn't look so bad either.

What do you think of the round headlights?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
These appear to be two different models. The red car is a Mark I or II car, which had rectangular headlights to start with and I think look better with them. The black car looks like a Mark III, which did have round headlights, so at any rate it looks original, which counts for something. I like the rectangular lights better.

wow, I didn't realise that any model GT40 came stock with round headlights. I guess you learn something new everyday
smile.gif

Hi all
the red MK1 car belongs to my friend Ian and has rectangular head lights but had round black tape stuck to them to make them look round.
The blue car is my MK111 replica and is fitted with four round headlights.
All MK111 GT40 had round head lights to comply with USA road car regs.
Regards
Chris Melia

On the cover of "GT40 The Legend Lives On" There is a red Mark IV that was driven by Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt for Shelby American that has round headlights. A Mark III (only seven built) has round headlights. Page 109 shows three Mark III's. All round eyes. Cool stuff. I seem to remember some very early kits copied the round headlight look.

The Mk3 cam with a round head light set-up that "didn't quite lok the same as the originals". I am currently building up an old KVA unit an d am looking into the round headlight option. At the moment I am looking at using 90mm Hella halogen units and have an approximate diagram if anyone is interested. In addition I am currently on the hunt to incorporate a small indicator units into the top unit so it will enable me to put 10mm Hella driving lamps down the bottom.

Brian Magee

Supporter
The red car above is in my workshop having an aircon pump fitted. The round headlamp effect was actually an aluminium panel set just infront of the oval headlamp. Ian removed these before they were removed forcebly by members of the GT40EC local area. He had already been threatened of banishment from the club if he did not remove the 'boy racer' rear spoiler fitted by the previous owner of the car. Before it leaves my workshop it could even loose the smiley face on the footwell access cover!!

Brian.

Hi All
I am the owner of the red Forty, It's a Tornado and just to put the record straight, the twin headlights are in fact retangular lights with blanking plates fitted in front of the headlamp (not sticky tape as suggested by my ex freind Chris). These were fitted by the previous owner / builder, although I quite liked them, my fellow freinds and club members did not, did you Roy! so to appease them so that I could go out to play with them the blanking plates had to go, along with the rear spoiler.
If anybody would like them and is prepared to pay the postage they can have them F.O.C.
NO ROY! YOU CANT HAVE THEM.
Regards
Ian

rolleyes.gif

Anybody want to come to a BBQ?, no charcoal but we can have a ceremonious cremation of the spoiler and headlight covers, Ian, you can supply the petrol and if it brings a tear to your eye I'll supply the tissues,
P.S. I won't invite Alan Buller
shocked.gif

Chris,

Hello from America. Your MKIII still looks awesome. Remember that photo of your MKIII that I 'doctored' and re-sent to you with it totally covered in water? I hope you never get that much rain (ha ha).

How are your body builds coming?

It looks like you get to enjoy a lot of GT40 get-togethers. That's great but it sounds like there are some unhappy folks over there.

My Pantera chassi will be shortened in about 2 weeks to fit the body to it.

Take care. You'll never be an "Ex-friend" to me and most others on this forum.

Have fun!

John

Hi John
Thanks for the comment, my new original body will be ready for moulding in March.

Ian is a nice guy and a keen club member, and has a good sense of humour.
I respect him and I should have known that sticky tape was a cheap option and that Ian would only have the expensive alloy light cover plates.
I have to point out that I did not use Ian's last name, mention the spoiler, or the fluffy
dice on the interior mirror. Just Joking
In fact Ian is such an active member of the Enthusiast's club that I wish to propose him for chairmans post at the next club AGM.
All in favour say I

Regards
Chris
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

As a yank who still owneth not any GT40, real or otherwise (well, perhaps an imaginary one), I shall not enter the fray as to the ritual burning of the offending accoutrements. Nevertheless, the question remains: are the round lights available anywhere? (I actually like the 2 sizes shown on the black MK III.) And I might as well jump ahead and ask: If one were to put them on an MKI or II, would one befall a similar fate as the bearer of the alleged "sticky tape"?

Lastly, on a different vein, what are the sideview mirror options (or standard equipment) for these cars? Do the design police get similarly worked up here too?

Thanks for the info......

Back