S L - C lift kit

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
fran...any idea of maximum lift possible on the SL-C at the front before the lower wheel arch fouls on the tyre?
Also with this kit i presume the standard road ride height can be lowered i.e 4" rising to say 6/7" with lift kit.......as apposed to a compromised nominal static 5" height without lift kit???

double benefit??

The production units offer more lift than the ones on my car......so 3 inches is the lift at the nose of the car...
Lowering the ride height could compromise the suspension geometry if you go too far...

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
no... nipple projection....its flippin freezing here! hehehehehe

edit: due to what i was claiming would put me in guiness book of records.... :)

I looked on the RCR and Superlite cars websites and found no mention of these hydraulic lifts, as in, pricing per unit or per pair. A previous question went unanswered, that being, could these units be placed at the top of the spring instead of underneath the spring? I'm getting real close to calling and ordering my SL-C and I would need these to drive the car on my local streets.

George, I would recommend that you call RCR and talk to them about your future order. You can then have a better idea as to the total cost. What I did was sent Fran a list containing the extra cost options and asked for a price quote before I pulled the trigger on my RCR.

Regards

Allen

I have mine in my greedy little hands for the RCR40. Fran, I like the idea of putting it at the top. Doesn't look to me like it would be an issue. Can you advise?

Allen, I'll be calling Fran with my list as soon as one of my CDs matures.

I think it was discussed in the original question back on page 1, but it seems to me that placing it at the top of the spring would make the hydraulic cylinder essentially become part of the upper shock mount. I don't know if this would mean that the cylinder is then sprung weight vs unsprung weight, but it would certainly reduce the amount of flexing that the braided line would undergo. If you're not clear what I'm talking about, go look at the picture in post #1 in this thread, and imagine the hydraulic cylinder at the top of the shock rather than the bottom of the shock.

I am actually not sure it will fit, at least not on the 40. The upper shock/spring mount is directly to the chassis (so yes it would be sprung weight) but the lift is significantly wider than the spring.

If mounted as shown at the bottom, the flex in the hose is no different (actually less) than that of the brake lines.

Making it sprung vs. unsprung weight would be a real advantage, though it is not that heavy, so I will use it regardless. If you were truly racing for your dinner, then it might not be on the top of your option list.

The flex that the original poster mentioned, and what I'm talking about, is the flexing that would happen from movement. If placed over the spring, the cylinder becomes a stationary object, instead of moving up and down as the wheel moves up and down. In any case, Fran said that it can be place above the spring on an SLC, which is where I will place it. I won't be racing anywhere, this is going to be a weekend/fun car for me. Track days are likely, but not competition, just DE types.

If you use a high pressure nitrogen to air this can you get it to jump the front end. LOL
Seriously Fran can you pm me a price of this for the front of a RF GT40?
Thank you
Jim

Not an SLC, but my P4, I believe had standard suspension, and this lift kit was added later. But I think when this happened, a shorter spring was not installed. Shouldn't a 1" or 2" shorter spring have been installed? Here are a couple photos, note that at full lift, the control arm actually hits the coil, this is because the spring is too tall? What spring height/rate needs to be used?

Thanks!
Kent

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 267
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 309
Kent

you should use a 4 inch spring with 400lb depending upon your use, to get the lift without compressing the spring and stressing the shock.

Available from Eibach or Hypercoil.

With a few mods to the bottom coil perch (basically drops the spring down a further 1" to provide more room between the lower and upper perches for all this kit) and following Fran's recommendations on the spring and extended shock travel you should be able to fit the lift on the sprung side like my RCR40. Its all close but there is clearance to the lift ram.

GT40-lift-Kit-1.jpg

GT40-lift-Kit-2.jpg

I would recommend the use of a helper spring so that it all stays together at full extension.

I have obviously inverted the shock as well, further reducing the unsprung mass. All done I was very happy that the RCR design allowed this configuration on the RCR40. It may be easier on the SLC as there appears to be more room all round.

Last edited:
Back