Scratchbuilt 'Kiwi 40' goes racing.

Russ,
How do you determine the change in your suspension settings? Is it via tire temp readings? Is the goal to get the same temp reading across the face of the tire?
Sounds like you are haveing a blast.

Jim

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jim, yes, trying for even temps across the tread.

Leon, at 6500, 2050 rev drop to 3rd and 1825 to 4th. 1st and 4th are just a joke! It looks like I need ratios of about

1st 1.3 (thats the standard 2nd)
2nd 1.05
3rd 0.89 (standard 3rd)
4th 0.72

That would give a good off the line/hairpin 1st. The existing 3rd peaks nicely on the short straights. 2nd would be a filler and a 0.72 4th should be good for about 165 mph which should be about right. However when I contacted Albins a couple of years ago the highest 1st they had was 1.44 and highest 2nd was 1.21 so I may have to look at doing my own gears, and it may possibly mean modifying the case to accept the larger driven gears.

I'm not sure that any of that is going to make a significant difference to the lap times though, however it would make it nicer to drive and going dog engagement at the same time would enable left foot braking.

Bang for buck, which is what this effort has been about from day one, I think my best lap time improvements per dollar will come first from driving it better, then aero (wing, splitter, diffuser), then slicks, then gear ratios. Possibly a brake upgrade would also yield more than the trans mods. Although, I'm not sure how long the synchros are going to hold up, or if it even matters, but if I find I have to keep doing synchros, doing the trans upgrade could become a higher priority. Time will tell....

Honestly Leon, with that 500+c.i. big block that you are going to run, gear ratios will not be that critical! And you're right I did have a ball! The OSCA final is a one day meeting, Sat 24th April at Levels.

Russ,
here are the ratios I speced out from Albins when I did the Dog-change conversion last season. Plug them into your spreadsheet with your tire size to see how they work for you.
1st=1.6
2nd=1.08
3rd=.8571
4th=.6875
These are working with the stock 4.22 final and 25.5in tall slicks.
For me, my speeds at 6000rpm are:
1st=67.4mph
2nd=99.8
3rd=125.8
4th=156.86
For me, I love the ratios as they "fit" both long tracks(Watkins Glen) and short courses(New Jersey Motorsports Park,etc) very well. Trust me, I spent hours on the spreadsheet trying many combinations because at the prices Albins gets for each ratio, I wanted to get it right the first time!!
Dave D.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Dave,

Its good to know they now appear to have more suitable ratios for 1st and 2nd. What you have got there is pretty good, but a still higher first and slightly lower 4th would suit my tracks better. When I'm ready to pull the trigger I'll get back in touch with Albins to see what their current ratio ranges are. You don't happen to know what their highest available first was at the time you speced your box?

I'm not too concerned at present, as I said, I think there are other avenues that will be more rewarding with regard to lap times than the trans. And I may find that the ratios that appear ideal now may be a bit off by the time I have made the other improvements. And as you so succintly stated, its better not to have to change. What you have bought needs to be right first time...

The problem with going to an even taller 1st is that I'm not sure you will have enough case clearance to fit. As it is with the ratio I have I needed to clearance the end of the case to fit the much larger drive gear. look in the pics,the stock 1st drive gear is actually smaller than the bronze bearing. The Albins is larger(even though it is not installed yet in the pic). there is a raised boss around the bearing that must be "massaged" so the larger gear will fit. I would think any taller of a 1st and it may be tough to get off the line without a lot of clutch slip,(don't you do standing starts down there?). Also, Doesn't your GT40 use a taller rear tire than my Fiero(25.5in tall)??

Picture835.jpg

Picture842.jpg

Dave

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I would think any taller of a 1st and it may be tough to get off the line without a lot of clutch slip,(don't you do standing starts down there?). Also, Doesn't your GT40 use a taller rear tire than my Fiero(25.5in tall)??

Only slightly taller 26" tyre.

Yeah Dave, done the odd standing start from time to time down this way....;) The standard 2nd gear was perfect for getting off the line!! That's where I get the 1.3 from for the new first.

I decided to try a second gear launch for the first time. 2nd gear is good for over 90mph @6500. When the flag dropped I let the clutch go gently at about 3500 revs and got a lightning start, passing several cars on the short run down to turn one.

I had grid 4 due to the afore mentioned qualifying times and did the 2nd gear lauch again. Worked good, but got boxed in behind a TransAm Mustang in front of me who momentarily sat on the line wheel spinning.

The final race was an 8 lap handicap race with me off go. The track was fully dry and the second gear launch was becoming more familiar. With no-one in front of me the thing just took off like a rocket

The car is blindingly fast off the line in 2nd, easily the fastest starting OSCA car!

If I have to cut and weld the case to get the larger gear in I think it would be well worth the effort, it just hunkers down and goes. 1.3 is a very useful gear.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ruapuna last Sunday was less tham memorable results wise, but we finished the day with the car intact, more as a result of good luck than good management.

During the week I had fitted softer pads and I had hoped to be able to sneak out before our practice session and bed them in. We had got out to the track super early but no such luck! So I was out there in our practice session carrying out the gentle bedding in process and some pilot in a WRX tried a kamikaze overtaking move, hit my front and sent us both spinning off. Jeez, it was an untimed practice session, WTF! Never mind, no damage to my car, but he's got a door and a sill to fix on his.

Qualifying was uneventful, the track was slippery all day and times were off by about two to three seconds. I got out-qualified by exactly one second by a Commodore V8 Touring Car and that little RX7 Batman (the white one in the Dec pics) also slipped in between us. Not sure how a late model V8 Touring Car gets to race in Classics? So I was on grid 3 for the Scratch Race.

On the warm up lap I noticed the throttle cable was sticking slightly and made a mental note to check it out after the race. When the lights went out I blitzed the two cars in front of me and opened up a handy lead. I figured I'd be able to keep them behind me for the duration of the race but that was not to be. On the second lap, coming into the high speed corner off the main straight, the throttle stuck momentarily and it was all over. There were fresh earthworks in the form of soft soil just off the track and the mini duststorm which invaded and surrounded the car was both blinding and choking. I knew I was in the kitty litter as well and with all the bouncing and shaking the engine revs had dropped back too, but I'd managed to keep it running and the car was still moving. So I tried to boot it out of the kitty litter but since I couldn't see a thing for all the dust it was sheer luck that I got out. Had to wait for the dust to clear inside the car before I could see to get back on the track. By which time most of the field had gone by. Not that it mattered, back out on the track I was having trouble selecting gears, there were some horrible noises coming from under the car so it was a matter of just getting it slowly back to the pits. That happened without incident although apparently the car looked quite spectacular with a large vortex of dust coming off it and the air in the cockpit (what air, I was breathing pure dust!) could still be seen to be full of the stuff. So hero to zero, a DNF.

Back in the pits and the first thing was several large (non-alcoholic) drinks! To try and wash the dust off my throat. Then we had just under an hour to get the car shipshape for the next race. Close inspection revealed a throttle return spring that had become detached, the noise under the car was a bit of a mystery untill we found that the right hand sill which is normally empty and open at both ends was full of kitty litter and the noise was it hitting the track as it fell out. The gearchange problem was the combination of a mounting block bolt that had come loose coupled with the extra friction of all the dust which caused binding in the rod movement. The major job was cleaning up both the interior and exterior of the car. Having Lim and John there to do the majority of the work sure eases the burden and the car was ready and refuelled just minutes before I had to go out on the grid. Well done guys!

The second race was a six lap handicap race and I was given grid 31 and was off 95 seconds along with the Commodore and the Batman. The three of us were pretty much handicapped out of it. Blitzed them off the line again and came through to 8th, 15 seconds behind the winner and set fastest lap.

The last race was another 6 lap handicap this time the three of us off 90 seconds but it was getting late in the day, the autumn sun was low in the sky and straight ahead down the main straight. The Batman and the Commodore didn't show. Looking into the sun, I couldn't see my tacho, or any of the gauges if it came to that, or the track actually either... Unless I put one hand up to shield my eyes which was OK until I had to change gear. None of that worked very well, rather inauspicious, started last, finished last, 30 seconds in arrears.

Still, despite a rather frenetic and at times exciting day, the car is in one piece, and after a check over, ready for next weekends racing, Classics, on the 17th, again at Ruapuna.

The new softer pads seem to have led to less pedal travel, which is what I was hoping for, but with the slow track, maybe this last weekend is not a reliable indicator....

2nd gear continues to be awesome off the line, it's very easy to feed in just the right amount of wheelspin and as a defacto first and good for 150kmh before the first gearchange, I haven't met anything yet which will beat it.:pepper:

Pics.

#1 The car almost ready to go again after the Race 1 off
#2 Someone has to be the supervisor.....
#3 Long shadows on the dummy grid before the last race
#4 Happy driver, intact car, after the last race.
#5 "The A Team"

Attachments

• 11 April 10 Ruapuna 003.jpg
    11 April 10 Ruapuna 003.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 419
  • 11 April 10 Ruapuna 002.jpg
    11 April 10 Ruapuna 002.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 11 April 10 Ruapuna 005.jpg
    11 April 10 Ruapuna 005.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 405
  • 11 April 10 Ruapuna 007.jpg
    11 April 10 Ruapuna 007.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 460
  • 11 April 10 Ruapuna 008.JPG
    11 April 10 Ruapuna 008.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 442
Hi Russ

That sounded a very adventurous day. I can see how that sun would be a problem if that photo is anything to go by. Good news that the car came through intact and that the problems you encountered were easy fixes.

Regards

Cam
Auckland, NZ

Congratulations Russ, You seem to be getting through the race weekends with out too many problem's now and have a truck load of fun in the process. Good luck for next weekend, it must just about be the end of the season or does your club have the odd winter meetings. Look forward to reading about your next round of racing.

Cheers Leonmac

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Leon, the meeting on 1 May is the last, although there is a club 'fun day' on the 2nd that I'll do, where helpers, sponsors, friends etc can be taken for rides around the track in the race cars. Or they can drive it themselves if the owner allows. (That's not going to happen in this case!)

Anyway last weekend was a somewhat ho hum sort of affair. The Classic Motor Racing Club event on Saturday did not have many quick cars in the Sports/GT class, a few Porsches and that was it. Won three out of three off the back of the grid. They used the club circuit with the dipper which is shorter than the GP circuit which we normally use, so no relevant times.

Was awarded a memorial trophy for the 'Most Polished Performance', not sure what that means.....they must have been talking about the sheen on the car, the driving wasn't that polished from where I was sitting!!

Sunday was the drags. Billed as 'The Drag Warz, Street Import vs Street Muscle' which was basically open to anything on treaded tyres. Essentially boiled down to V8s against 'the rest'.

Drag racing's not really my thing and the car's not set up for it. Had four wins from four runs and when I'd figured the fourth run was the best indicator on the day and that I was unlikely to improve significantly on it, I called it quits. No point in beating the crap out of the car for nothing. 11.770, 132.27 mph. More details on this thread http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/31439-school-me-up-quickly-drag-racing-please.html

I will try and find some photos to post later. I thought I had the in car camera working this weekend but can't seem to get anything off the CF card. With not a lot to do to the car during the week, Tues 'car night' might be devoted to finding the camera/card problem. Things must be coming right when we can concentrate on issues like that!!

Next up, the last OSCA race this Saturday at Levels, that'll be more of a challenge, real racing, but at the wrong end of the field. Plenty to aim for there.....

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Next up, the last OSCA race this Saturday at Levels, that'll be more of a challenge, real racing, but at the wrong end of the field. Plenty to aim for there.....

Like the armco guard rails on what is reputed to be "the most dangerous corner of any NZ circuit on a wet day"......Bumpy, water puddling on the track, and no where to go when it all turns to custard......110mph in the dry, somewhat less in the wet.

Saturday morning in Christchurch loomed overcast but fine however there were ominous clouds to the south and we were headed 100miles in that direction to Timaru. Got to the Levels circuit at 8am after a 6 o'clock start and everything was damp and the weather was starting to close in. Took a couple of turns off the front brakes and applied copious quantities of RainX Antifog to the inside screen, and we were ready for qualifying.

I was running my normal treaded 'classic' race tyres which I thought would be OK in the wet. All the other OSCA guys were running proper wets with various levels of effectiveness. It was slippery as hell and after a couple of spins I managed to qualify last (that was going to happen in the dry anyway!) but only a second adrift of the next man and then the
next bunch were another second faster again. All good.

Race 1 off the back of the grid in atrocious conditions and I thought if I took it easy I might gain some places as cars spun out. Nevertheless I was trying to hang onto the man in front of me but he was slowly edging away. On the second to last lap coming out of the hairpin I saw the race leader about to lap me and between the esses I moved off the dry line (well not really dry, just not as wet as the rest!) so he could go through easily. Turning in offline into that notorious second ess, the tyres couldn't cope with the extra water and the rears aquaplaned. From there on I was just a passenger, it went around four times before finally backing into the armco and that was that for the day.

The next Formula Ford race saw four cars off in the same spot before their race was red flagged.

This was the final OSCA round for the year and the two top guys were only seperated by one point, however they considered conditions that dangerous that they agreed between themselves not to do the remaining races of the day and to accept the points as they stood as the final result for the series!

An interesting day, not particularly pleasant, and now a car to repair over the off season. Fortunately not too much carnage, a bent rear upright and damage to the muffler and rear bodywork. A casual inspection appears to reveal no damage to the chassis, pickup points, links, trans etc, so it looks like I might have got out of jail almost for free. Better to be born lucky than rich, I guess.....

Attachments

• Wet Levels 1146.JPG
    Wet Levels 1146.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 392
Russ.

That's an extreme action to take just so you've got more to write on your build thread!

I'm sure it won't take you two guys long to have it ready for next season.

Cam
Auckland, NZ

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Russ,
good work, I have quietly enjoyed reading your exploits.

On the second to last lap coming out of the hairpin I saw the race leader about to lap me and between the esses I moved off the dry line (well not really dry, just not as wet as the rest!) so he could go through easily.

Ok, so now you have learned the same lesson as I did, i.e politeness can be detrimental to your cars health. In my case it wasn't my car, but it was detrimental to my pocket.:sad:
Formula Ford, Ingliston, my best mates Crossle, warming up in practice, I kept out of the way of a fast lapper, unfortunately I went on the large collection of marbles at that corner and understeered into the barriers, taking a corner off in the process.:embarassed:

Keep up the good work, but don't be so polite that you throw yourself off the track:thumbsup:

Dave

Dave

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Russ.

That's an extreme action to take just so you've got more to write on your build thread!

I'm sure it won't take you two guys long to have it ready for next season.

Cam
Auckland, NZ

Cam, I won't be writing that on the build thread. It's a build thread, not a crash repair thread! LOL.

However I will be detailing the off season mods and improvements. Which hopefully will make me a bit more competitive next season with those bloody OSCA cars! And hopefully also will mean I won't need to be 'polite' as Dave puts it!

Lim's just sent me some photos from the drags

#1 Waiting in the pits. The pits were a bit more primitive than I had expected..
#2 Waiting, about to stage
#3 Waiting, staged
#4 Action
#5 Waiting, for the next run
#6 Next run, inching up to the line

That pretty much sums it up, lot's of waiting all day for about 48 seconds of action

Attachments

• 2010 Drags 5.JPG
    2010 Drags 5.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 367
  • 2010 Drags 2.JPG
    2010 Drags 2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 210 Drags 6.JPG
    210 Drags 6.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 2010 Drags 3.JPG
    2010 Drags 3.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 333
  • 2010 Drags 4.JPG
    2010 Drags 4.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 2010 Drags 1.JPG
    2010 Drags 1.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Good pics...

Amazing to see the GT40 being totally dwarfed by a Capri... :)

Or was it the camera angle... :D

Hi Russ:

The 48 second part is why I quit drag racing and went on to oval track. My first race was in a 1976 Ford Torino I thought is this race ever going to get over.:thumbsup:

a bent rear upright and damage to the muffler and rear bodywork.

Most people reckon the damn thing was too quiet anyway, and you always reckoned it was too heavy....mind you, if you had noticed all the dimensions were in cm instead of the inches you assumed an old fart like me would be more comfortable with...... it might have been a bit smaller & lighter..:)

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jeez Jac Mac, why didn't you say!

I wondered why the bloody thing was 254% the size I expected..... That must also be why it weighs 28kg instead of 11kg..... I'll make a new one over the winter..... in my spare time LOL :confused: :cussing: :lol: :rolleyes:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
First race of the new season tomorroow. Kiwi 40 is already out at the track as we had a test session today.

Lots of mods from last season, which I will go into more detail on in my build log later.

Further flared the arches to accomodate the F5000 slicks that I am now using.

Top hinged accelerator pedal to better enable more comfortable heel and toeing with my long legs in the cramped footwell space.

New softer pads and larger m/cyls.

Close ratio gears.

And the most major and time consuming mod ....... converting the carb to run on E85. This last dictated by MSNZ who wont allow fuels containing lead ie AvGas to be run anymore. However they have realised they made a major logistical stuffup and a couple of months ago advised that almost everybody could apply for a dispensation from this ruling. That came out the day after I had taken to my carb and drilled out all the critical passageways for more flow. Point of no return for me, can never run petrol in that one again, so I had to make it work. A couple of months of solid research on what was involved plus $1300 of dyno time - all time and money spent essentially for nothing, but hey, it's great that NZ motorsport is greener than green :lipsrsealed:

And the things a pig to start from cold! Requiring a spray bottle of Avgas on hand to manually provide a ignitable mix for the first few seconds. Major PITA. And the bloody exhaust fumes sting your eyes!

Anyway out to the track today for a test session, the car felt good but there seemed to be a problem with 3rd gear and after a couple of laps I lost it altogether. Damn, but at least that was the only stock ratio in the box and I had heaps of other stock 3rds, shift forks or whatever was required.

So I removed the rear clip and muffler and jacked up the back to investigate further with the thought that I could just remove the centre case and effect the repairs with the trans in situ. However when I checked the shift rod at the rear I could get full engagement of the gear, so it was apparent the problem was in the linkage. Closer inspection revealed that the cockpit lever was travel restricted (just) by the front of the hole in the alloy panel that it came up through. So snips and file fixed that one. That was caused by minor mods to the lever to give it a better feel by way of a slightly different position from last season.

But was that the real problem or just a minor contributor so out on track for a definitive test run.

It was AOK, a great sigh of relief. So, putting the car through its paces and what a delight to drive. Last year I always felt I was sitting on top of an accident looking for somewhere to happen, which did occasionally. I had no real confidence to throw it around but this new setup out of the box with no fine tuning just felt so good. Half a dozen laps, taking it relatively easily, saw the (second hand) tyres well on the way to being scrubbed in and my times were within a second of my previous best and still coming down. It would be plenty fast enough for race day, so it was time to put it away until qualifying tomorrow.

The weather is a bit questionable and if it rains and the race or meeting is declared wet then I'm out as they wont let me run as I dont have spare wheels or treaded (rain) tyres. So fingers crossed....

Qualifying and one race tomorrow and three races on Sunday. This is the Wigram Revival Meeting moved forward from its normal January fixture. Featuring those mighty F5000s again. I just love them. Have also scored today another set of free F5000 rears courtesy of Stan Redmond off his T332 , done only one race, will last me for ages. Thanks Stan :thumbsup:

All in all a pleasing day.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Russ - Good to read you're back out there again. Would like to see those pics of the improved body work.

On the E85 - something to think about;
* Consumption (I'm sure you've experienced this by now) is far greater than with gasoline.
* Moisture absorption - Consider a closed venting system to your fuel cells particularly on rainy days as the alcohol sucks in a lot of moisture from the air and that further compounds any sort of corrosion issues one might see with running an alcohol based fuel.
* Fumes - Yes they are terribly bad and will scorch the lungs as well.. Be careful. I've been there.

Back