Seat Belts / Harnesses What do You Use?

Ian, there are any number of companies that can supply you with fully marked and suitable belts and at some very competitive prices at present, especially with the regulation changes.

Ross, the information does not offend at all. You just won,t ever catch me running with slack belts. There are many circuits worldwide where you are "blind" for a few moments and just pray that somebody has,nt lost it in front. Eau Rouge at Spa is a classic.. as you exit the dip and climb up the hill you are totally blind of the circuit.. Just sky. No wonder they use flashing lights as well as flag signals just in case there is something nasty at the top.

Graham.

HILLY

Supporter
Ross,
I would be interested to see the pictures of your harness attachment points.
I am in the process of fitting my four point sabelt harness and the lack of room beside the seats has caused some fitting issues as there is not enough room to install the eyebolts provided. This along with the lap/sash belts for ADR compliance has required some extra thought and ended up with a proposed bracket design which may be more than actually required.

Understanding Bones?

Ross,

You certainly have not offended anyone, quite the contary, it's just very thought provoking when logic isn't obvious to the un-edumacated tipe. I think it's just that when a subject like this comes up it gets the grey matter turning and theories are challenged.
My interpretation of a tight belt on an older frame is: Older bones are more brittle. Hence, there is probably a point reached where any more tension in the belt does not have a proportional effect on the arresting of the body during an accident. At the same time the belt could be inducing stress into the skeleton while at rest and therefore putting the more brittle bones nearer to their point of failure than a younger model. This is my theory and open to ideas?

Ian, sorry for branching off a bit!

Peter,

I might be able shed a little light on your question of eyebolts alongside the seats. I have two sets of seats, the standard RF seats and the RF race seats on which Ross’s seats are based. The standard seats definitely do not allow enough space for the eyebolts to be mounted so the harness can only be used with the race seats. Even with the race seats fitted I have still had to fabricate a narrower set of eyebolts. Also, I have compared my setup with Ross’s (I hope I’m not giving away any secrets Ross) and found that Ross was able to re-claim some space by relocating (read remove) the panel between the seat and shift linkage.

With regards to the harnesses themselves, I’m using a 6 point Sabelts but I find that the length of the belt from the adjustment buckle to the eyebolt mounts on the lap belts to be annoyingly short. This length places the buckle between the tall-sided race seat and the car panel and makes it virtually impossible to adjust when the race seat is in place. The ideal solution in my case would be to fabricate longer eyebolts.

HILLY

Supporter
Thanks for you input Chris.
Your description confirms the dilemma that I have faced and since I have the standard seats, I am limited to about a 20mm space on each side of the drivers seat to fit my attachment points. There is a little bit more room on the passenger side but it is still fairly tight. As you have already experienced, I am in the process of fabricating customized brackets which will allow for the required attachment points to fit in the space available and the extra height should alleviate the issue of the adjustment buckle position as you have mentioned. I have also incorporated the attachment point for the lap/sash belt onto this bracket arrangement which should keep thing fairly tidy.
Sorry for hijacking your thread Ian.

Attachments

• DSCN0531.JPG
    DSCN0531.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 702
  • DSCN0532.JPG
    DSCN0532.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCN0533.JPG
    DSCN0533.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 370
  • Harness Mounting Brackets - Bulkhead.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 228
  • Harness Mounting Brackets - Floor.pdf
    28.5 KB · Views: 242

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Graham you are right on the money with that explanation, I don't always tie all the points together as well as you did.
Peter and Chris
When I put my drivers seat in, I did intend to fit the gearshift panel and I have only tonight removed the aluminium angle bracket from the floor. So I did indeed have the space problem for the harness eyelets. I actually checked
the eyelets into the seat mounts and it worked really well. I will include photos of this later tonight when I post the promised seat photos.
Ross

HILLY

Supporter
Jim,
The lap sash belts will be mounted to the rear most triangular shaped bracket (LHS on the drawing) which is well behind the hip area.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Photos of Ross' seats and mounting including belt eyelets.

Attachments

• seatgt40 004 (640 x 480).jpg
    seatgt40 004 (640 x 480).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 356
  • seatgt40 005 (640 x 480).jpg
    seatgt40 005 (640 x 480).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 337
  • seatgt40 006 (640 x 480).jpg
    seatgt40 006 (640 x 480).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 388
  • seatgt40 008 (600 x 450).jpg
    seatgt40 008 (600 x 450).jpg