Silverstone Classic pics

Mike Pass

Supporter
A couple of pics of the club area at the Silverstone Classic. There was a very good show of cars in the pit garages and on the many club stands and a quite rare line up of 17 F40s. The racing was excellent with some really good battles going on at the front and down the field and a good range of types from Formula Junior, Sports cars such as E types, Cobras, Bizzarinis and very competitive V8 TVR Griffiths/Tuscans and some fantastic F1 cars such as the 6 wheel Tyrell and the very rarely seen Williams with 4 rear wheels. I was watching them as they emerged from under the bridge at full chat and then braking very hard before the Luffield complex - super fast and so super loud I had to plug my ears. I had not seen the new layout before but the track layout seems to be very good.
Not so good is the setup for the paying public who still get the second class treatment. The new "wing" is a hideous grey glass montrosity as seen from opposite and they have hidden the pits in a trench in front of it so the cars in the pits can't be seen from the "not so grandstand" opposite. Pedestrians are prevented from walking down to the new wing and pits so you have to queue for 30mins to get a ride on the few old buses which are totally inadequate for the numbers of customers who have paid a small fortune to get in (£60!). This in addition to the miles of chain link fencing, lack of toilets and hordes of "security staff/helpers" in high vis jackets does nothing for the ambience of the place as seen by those who are not ferried about in VIP cars or in the BRDC gin palace or similar. Having just been to the Le Mans Classic and a regular visitor to Jonathan Palmer's tracks it seems to me that Silverstone has a lot to learn about how to treat it's customers.
Great product badly presented - can do a lot better.
Rant over.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Club area SC W.jpg
    Club area SC W.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Club lineup SC W.jpg
    Club lineup SC W.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 266
  • 17 F40 lineup W.jpg
    17 F40 lineup W.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 248
That picture was early - the parade on Sunday lunchtime had sixty F40s in honour of its 25th birthday - footage all over youtube

Back