SLC 24 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dash wiring complete. Total of 19 circuits leaving the dash panel. 5> than 10 amps and the rest less or sensor signals. I will probably use two connectors one for high current and the other for everything else. Connectors will be wired to terminal strips. This allows me to trouble shoot easily by probing circuits with the connectors attached and systems running.

Everything is on this panel except the main battery off switch and two warning lights. One for low oil pressure and the other for high water temp. They will be mounted on top of the dash directly in my vision along with the shift light.

All the high current loads are through relays, fans, lights, fuel pump, MSD, and starter/Ing on ckt. The blue thing is the flasher for the LED turn sig lights. No fuses, all circuit protection is through circuit breakers.

I overdid the wire sizes for the most part. Mostly 14 and 12 gauge on the dash except for the pigtails that were hard wired on the gauges.

Everything has a wire number on each end and all are documented as to use, source, and destination. I also have drawn a circuit diagram for the entire car, dash panel, lights, and pin outs of the terminal strips. This took longer that doing the wiring really but its all no use if it you can't figure out what you have 6 months later.

Now on to complete the main chassis harness(s), and then the front and real clip harnesses.........start it up............drive it..yahoooooooooooooooooooo!

Attachments

• HPIM1957.jpg
    HPIM1957.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 444
  • HPIM1958.jpg
    HPIM1958.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
"Tex" Jones living the dream

Shadow CanAm MkII, the only one in the world and there he is fixin to get his grubbies all over it. Originally 12 inch tall front rims and that was a step up from the 10 tall rims on the MK1. According to Peter Bryant (the designer) it was THE first roadracing car to ever wear non-treaded slick tires. That is a milemarker in roadracing history for sure.

Attachments

• 20141004_155959.jpg
    20141004_155959.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 448
  • 20141004_160012.jpg
    20141004_160012.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks for the pictures and introductions Rob, really nice hotrod people. By the way he has how many of those? F5000, and how many F1 Shadows?

Jack, ya well, that's gonna take a big fat lotto miracle. I'm not sure what I would do with it anyway. Pretty scary monster!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Getting closer! I now have the dash assembly wired into the chassis harness, all the accessories mounted and wired and harnesses complete to the front and rear clips.

Next I need to see if there is any smoke when I turn it all on and then try things like the fuel pump, fans, etc. The last picture is the documentation drafts. This is what takes time but it can't be done without it..

Attachments

• HPIM1955.jpg
    HPIM1955.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 325
  • HPIM1956.jpg
    HPIM1956.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 319
  • HPIM1957.jpg
    HPIM1957.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 285
  • HPIM1963.jpg
    HPIM1963.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 301
  • HPIM1962.jpg
    HPIM1962.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 289
  • HPIM1959.jpg
    HPIM1959.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 287
  • HPIM1960.jpg
    HPIM1960.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 328

Howard Jones

Supporter
It all works...................now I can breathe. Very stressful to completely wire a car from scratch from my own design and put power to it. I have seen 100s thousands of dollars in parts and labor go up in smoke at work so don't think I didn't have dark visions..........but all is well. Everything works and no smoke!

I am going to do some other stuff beside wiring for awhile but I still need to build the front and rear clip harnesses, mount the lights and paint the body. I need to think about process a bit at this point.

Maybe I'll get the engine running................

Here's that last picture that I forgot.

Attachments

• HPIM1965.jpg
    HPIM1965.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 314
Howard,
Don't kow if you have ever heard of this but you can get a 12 volt generator that puts out around 6amps or so. It is great for testing circuits. I used it on mine as I added a lot of stuff that was not stock stuff. Worked great and saved me from frying circuits. For the front lighting it would work, just dim lights when tested.

Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter
Bill, because I a carious (means cheep bastard that is afraid to F things up) person I used a 20 gauge wire as a jumper from the battery + to the main power cable when I first tried it. The little wire will get hot and smoke long before anything important really get damaged.

I started on the throttle cable mounts today and finished the rear one.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I made the brackets for the throttle cable. I like steel for things like this. Make it strong and never worry about it. I also used a old push pull cable, from some long forgotten boat I think, to mock it up for length and then I ordered a supper good one from California Push Pull. More on that when it arrives.

California Push-Pull, Inc.

Attachments

• HPIM1986.jpg
    HPIM1986.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 279
  • HPIM1987.jpg
    HPIM1987.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 263
  • HPIM1988.jpg
    HPIM1988.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 235
  • HPIM1989.jpg
    HPIM1989.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 243

Howard Jones

Supporter
Throttle system complete. That green cable is really the best I have come across, Very low friction and is pretty good with standing up to heat. I have one in my GT40 that has been there for 10 years and still works fine.

This one here is 125 inches long, custom made, cost a 100 bucks, and came with one rod end. I had the other.

While I was down under the dash I made a panel from some left over .03 alum. to keep the passengers feet out of the peddles.

Attachments

• HPIM1991.jpg
    HPIM1991.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 269
  • HPIM1992.jpg
    HPIM1992.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 318
  • HPIM1994.jpg
    HPIM1994.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 276
  • HPIM1993.jpg
    HPIM1993.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 301
  • HPIM1990.jpg
    HPIM1990.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 254
  • HPIM1995.jpg
    HPIM1995.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Did you run any type of air horn or stubstack inside the air box? Is this a calculated air box or "just use all the space I'm afforded" box?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Luke, I did some area calculations starting with the overall diameter of a Holley, 5 1/8 ",and gave everything a minimum of 25% larger in area. The height internally was made as big as possible. I also used a K&N calculator and came up with a minimum area airflow panel filter for a 350CI 6800RPM engine.

Best guess is this system would work up to about 400 CI @ 7K RPMs. Close but I think it will work. The engine calculator I used along with some pretty trusted advice, and a very similar engine model says I am going to be making about 575-600 crank hp.

Then once I knew I had enough room to work with I made it as big as I could using a filter that was in their catalog.

Interesting the choke point is the room in the firewall between the roll cage hoops. That spot is about 15% bigger than minimum. But the scoop and its tunnel is not sealed to the filter housing so that isn't really a factor. The inside of the box is tapered at the hole leading down into the carb inlet and the carb has no choke or air horn. No room for a more gradual ramp.

If I couldn't make that work I was going to go with a cone filter and a 6 inch inlet tube. That would have been much simpler but I don't like the look.

Back