SLC Build Thread-Chassis #53

I built stainless coolant lines to replace the corrugated metal hoses:

photobucket-701-1332028180989.jpg

photobucket-28430-1332028142656.jpg

photobucket-33740-1332028167113.jpg

Me likes them coolant pipes (Roberto really is an excellent stainless welder).
Engine sounds great. At least as near as we can tell from a video, would have been better in person :sad:

BTW: Did any of the "Team SLC Trans-Continental Build Team" parts fall off yet?

I made similar using 16ga. aluminum tubing. Thanks Doc for the loan of your beading tool! The SL-C bunch are great!

Me likes them coolant pipes (Roberto really is an excellent stainless welder).
Engine sounds great. At least as near as we can tell from a video, would have been better in person :sad:

BTW: Did any of the "Team SLC Trans-Continental Build Team" parts fall off yet?

It was too bad it wasn't ready to start while the STCBT was there. :thumbsdown:

We had a lot of fun pontificating the SLC, other kit cars, and build strategies though. lol

It has that "light switch" itb rev with a blip of the throttle... It's actually a little scary and the wheels aren't on the ground yet. Should be fun. :)

I had a setback. The cxracing surge tank I was using has a few pinhole leaks in the welded seam. It's not a big leak, but it's seeping. I'm not sure how they will respond to an issue so long after I bought it.

Moral of the story: Inspect (and pressure test in this case) every part you buy when you receive it.

I ordered a new tank and went with a true swirl pot:

ATLswirlpot.jpg

Hopefully that arrives soon...although I am sensing a bit of fuel line rerouting and replacing will come with it.

It has that "light switch" itb rev with a blip of the throttle... It's actually a little scary and the wheels aren't on the ground yet. Should be fun. :)

On ITB race motorcycles we fatten up the mixture right off the stop to soften the 'hit' (abruptness) of the ITBs. That is why if you watch MC racing there is a long flame coming out the exhaust of some bikes on the decel. It's running way too fat on the stop, but it helps keep one from busting the tires loose coming out of the corners while all leaned over!

We use an external one on the race car as its an easy retro fit and gives us better access....our fuel cells are made for us by ATL and every internal style option is available...but once in the car they are not accessable and should anything need to be changed, repaired or modified you have to take the engine out to remove the bladder.
With the remote tank its much easier....and in a race environment easy is better

Is there a picture of the inside of the ATL swirl tank somewhere Roberto?..It would be nice for the guys to see what goes on inside

I can't find a picture of the guts on ATL's site or anywhere online anymore.

What I believe Fran is referring to is how ATL continues the inlet tubes in the inside radius of the tank to get a very strong swirl action with low pressure feed pumps while it's shaking and baking in a moving car. It's a well made piece.

Steve

Supporter
We use an external one on the race car as its an easy retro fit and gives us better access....our fuel cells are made for us by ATL and every internal style option is available...but once in the car they are not accessable and should anything need to be changed, repaired or modified you have to take the engine out to remove the bladder.
With the remote tank its much easier....and in a race environment easy is better

So your race car uses the standard tank with the swirl pot and not a fuel cell + swirl pot? That would also save quite a bit of $$ too. Removing the engine to get to the bladder does make the fuel cell a bit of a nonstarter...

Why take the chance of losing that expensive engine? Swirl pots may/may not be "redundant" but consider it added protection. I'm using one with my fuel cell.

The sump style tank will help but it is no substitute for a fuel swirl/surge tank.

The SLC pulls high G's in the corners.

The 01 car has to use a FIAFT3 Fuel bladder mandated by the race organisations own rules ...and we also use an external swirl tank.
The engine has to be removed as the race spec roll stops the tank coming out through the cockpit, thye street car does not have this issue.

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but a lot has happened.

I had the intake manifold powdercoated black to match the valve covers and engine roll bars:

photobucket-12721-1338230004202.jpg

Redid the cooling system piping:

photobucket-23303-1338229966724.jpg

photobucket-10888-1338229945095.jpg

photobucket-8013-1338229788160.jpg

Last edited:
Back