SLC Coolant Tank Group Buy?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Did you earmark one for me? I can either pick it up, or you can come out to see the disaster I've made of my garage. :D

There's one here with your name on it - I'd love to see your car .....and what you've done with your garage!

Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Folks - All of the tanks have now been spoken for. I will not be producing more. However, I will make the CAD file available and provide a parts/supplier list. Perhaps someone else will be interested in organizing a group purchase since doing a single tank is somewhat cost prohibitive.

Fran - If you see this I'd be happy to provide you with the details if you'd like to offer this tank as an option.

Best regards,
Dave L

Also got mine yesterday. Looks great. The only problem is that it is missing the part that it mounts to .... oh, wait - that's the SLC!
Thanks, Dave.

I got mine. Looks good. I will figure out which lines go where once I get my car next month and start on it. Does it just take a standard 1 bar pressure cap that I can get from Autozone/pepeboys/trackauto ? Part number anyone?

Yup, the workmanship and welding looks great!

Since there are no mounting tabs, I guess it's up to us to figure that out and weld on the mounting points.

I think I'll weld threaded standoffs on the back of the tank. That will keep the clean look and provide a small air space to reduce the thermal transfer thru the firewall and into the back of my head.:sunny:

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 261
Yup, that's what I assumed as well. However, on the tank I received, there is not enough flange around the edges to drill even a small mounting hole.

So I welded these threaded standoffs on the firewall side of the tank. I figured that would look better than trying to weld some addition aluminum flange material along the sides so flush mount holes could be drilled.

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 256

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Allan - That looks great! Thanks for posting the mounting photo.

Folks, remember there's very little stress on the mounting screws other than the weight of the tank and coolant. The screws can be relatively small and 4 or 5 should be plenty.

Bill - Your tank won't go anywhere!

Dave L

10-32 bolts in 5 places fit on the flange without hitting the weld.

IMGP2258.jpg

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I've been intending to post this for some time now - I apologize for the delay. Here are the parts and the process of having the coolant tanks fabricated:

Tank fittings -
summitracing.com
Billet aluminum filler neck: CTR-80-092 $19.95
1/4 NPT Female Weld Fitting: EAR-996702ERL $5.95
-4 Male Weld Fitting: EAR- 997104ERL $7.99
3/4 Barb Fitting: MEZ-WPM34U $18.79
5/8 Barb Fitting: MEZ-WPM58U $18.79

Aluminum (water jet cut):
emachineshop.com
Material = 5052 aluminum, .093" thickness
$650.89 or $43.39/tank (15 tanks) NOTE - Price varies by quantity.

Welding
(Metals Joining Lab (952-881-5118)
$75/tank

Metal forming = $26.67/tank (15 tanks) (through Metals Joining Lab)

Shipping
$5.92/tank (components + aluminum)

Total = $222.45/tank

I'm unable to upload the .ems file for the aluminum tank components - if you want the file please pm me and I'll send it to you. Be aware - the cost for a single tank is high.

Regards,
Dave L

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dave

I received the tank, and it looks great. Thanks for stepping up and having these built.

Kindest Regards
Brian

I also received my tank, and it does look wonderful. Thanks for putting forth the effort Dave. We all appreciate it very much.

Back