Snow in the UK - everything stops.

Malcolm

Supporter
We got the most snow I have ever seen at my home. Cool, but unfortunately as I work from home no dramas getting to and from work. But I cancelled work on health and safety grounds, fought my way through the shin high snow to the garage, pulled out the snow chains (genuinely needed to get out the driveway) and took the family off tobogganing on a sledge I made 20 years ago and for which there had never been enough snow to test it out! Thank goodness it worked. It is a replica Davos sledge but made of steel not wood! Then came back and Rebecca made a snow angel!

Attachments

• IMG_7932a.jpg
    IMG_7932a.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 240
Oh man, I feel like you guys will enjoy to see what it was looking like in Austria this winter. In meters: 1.37 (compare it to the 40" of the roof of the car :laugh:)

Attachments

• DSCF2290.JPG
    DSCF2290.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Oh man, I feel like you guys will enjoy to see what it was looking like in Austria this winter. In meters: 1.37 (compare it to the 40" of the roof :laugh:)

You have to love those roof beams-- about half a tree in each one to hold the snow up!!:)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Here here Keith !
Aye ! ~ when I was a lad I walked through blizzards, four miles to school with nothing but a pair of flip-flops on my feet and a newspaper under my string vest to keep the wind out, and it did me good.:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Here's the view from my kitchen window today, this is the first dusting of snow I have seen here since I bought the Hampshire house in twenty-odd years (I am a contractor so always made it to work).

You were looky lad, I had to walk five miles through four feet of snow in bare feet, lick frozen lake clean ontway, tongue would stick to lake, some mates would pee on lake to melt it and teacher would give me a thrashin fo bein late when I got there.

the same down here in Italy.
Lucky me Monday is closing half day for shops...so I look outside my windows, saw canadian scenery...made some piss..return to bed..my girl there,nice morning F... ,..and now a cup of good italian coffee.... isnt so bad life, isnt it?HAHA..

I like your approach Paolo! You must not have KIDS! I have four, so, while I do get enough time to take a leak once in a while there's no morning f$%@ing...

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
the same down here in Italy.
Lucky me Monday is closing half day for shops...so I look outside my windows, saw canadian scenery...made some piss..return to bed..my girl there,nice morning F... ,..and now a cup of good italian coffee.... isnt so bad life, isnt it?HAHA..

Paolo,
We Scots are similar to you Italians in more ways than one as we also like a good fry-up every morning.
It's also called a full English down here.

Google Image Result for http://www.celtictreasurechest.com/recipes/images/fryup.jpg

Last edited:
Keith,
I thought that was one of those Albino Scottish Terriers that Jimmy was taking for a walk in that picture he posted. I hear they get quite nasty if they miss a feeding.
Dave

It's just Nature's way of showing you Brits how good you have it most of the the time! You could be here(New England) or where Dave S or Randy live(really brutal).A monochromatic landscape is the norm for a good segment of the year.If we followed your lead we'd be shut down for about 5 months a year but to be fair,we're used to dealing with it on a constant basis. The fire hydrants along our roads have little red discs on 6 foot poles attached to the hydrants so they can be located in the winter.By the begining of March,driving around town can sometimes feel like we are mice in a labyrinth. Then again, we have more than 5 days a year when we can see the sun,so I guess it balances out. But how many times can you have snowball fights so try to enjoy it.(The snowplow just went by so I'm going out to clear the end of the driveway again.......)

Back