somebody help with all these audi trans #s

alright, first off I will be using it behind a toyota 2jz motor in a street version of a group c race car (Porsche 962 and Nissan r90 era). Probably about 450 hp but not a lot of weight and not the off-the-line torque of a v8.

I am really confused as to what audi box to get and where to find it.

• 012 - I gather is available in 97+ a4/passat
  • 016 - available in 5000. Is there another tranny available in the 5000 as well that is no good or is any 5000 non-quattro trans going to be about the same
  • 01e - also in the 5000 - possibly the best option.
  • 01x - pretty much same as 012 but in 2001+ fwd a4/passat. after 2001 the 012 is quattro only?

I guess I have another question on top of this. For this engine/car combo are there any porsche transmission I should look at? I would like to spend under $1200 so what is my best option. I was thinking of possibly using the wrx trans and welding the center diff together and making the block off plate. I have a neighbor who runs 12.1's on a non sti box doing massive clutch dumps at huge rpms so they must be pretty stout.

Eric,

There's lots of good info here on this site on all of these audi transaxles - each has been discussed at some length in recent history.

One reaction - $1,200 isn't a lot of money to spend on a transaxle that will be behind 450hp. Frankly, 450hp without a limited slip is a little funky. The audi boxes can be equipped with a quaif or other limited slip but that will generally push the cost to about $2,500 with a basic check of the rest of the internals. None of these transaxles are particularly stong - none were designed to reliably handle more than about 200-225 hp max with any durability.

Perhaps go for a little less hp and invest a little more in the transaxle?

ok so what is a cheaper option than the g50 trans? the WRX STI tranny can be had for about $2k. Any other options out there for this power level?

2jz that is a na supra engine right? no big turbo and no v8 torque so i think a audi box might bee fine as long as you don´t drop the clutch at 7k rpm.. besides if you break one it is quite cheap to buy a new one, atleast here in sweden were i live.. the 01e is found in a4 and a6 fwd and awd..

2jz that is a na supra engine right? no big turbo and no v8 torque so i think a audi box might bee fine as long as you don´t drop the clutch at 7k rpm.. besides if you break one it is quite cheap to buy a new one, atleast here in sweden were i live.. the 01e is found in a4 and a6 fwd and awd..

no, I wil be using the 2jzgte (turbo version)

If you want a Audi box, go for a 01e, 016 is weaker but can be reinforced with a steel plate. 012 are weaker and 01x proboarly needs a ECU.
I have a 016 that can go(I could put in the reinforcement plate), if you can't source a 01e I can help, but I live in europe so shipping will be 400 dollar alone.

But if you want to be shure it can handle the power, open your wallet a big wider and go for g50/zf/ricaro box.

Greetings,
Bram Boekestein
The Netherlands

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Eric,

Sounds like one heck of a ride you're putting together there; be sure to post some pics of your progress. Last fall, Chris Kouba and I spent the day with Derek Smith near Vancouver BC; he was very kind to show off every corner of the 956 he built... what a machine! If I only had that kind of spare change left!

If you find yourself looking for a nice 016, let me know. I have a fresh Jerry Jansing built unit (complete with limited slip) ready to go. My build plans changed and I went with a ZF.

Cliffs suggestion to poke around the forum is a good one. At this point, there aren't too many question that haven't been discussed ad nasuem... take the Search tool out for a spin around the block to see what it'll do.

Best,

T.

The Porsche 915 box is an often over looked trans that will hold 400hp with no problems in a lightweight car. They can be purchased for $500-$1500 used. You would have to run it inverted or have the ring gear flipped to run mid -eng. This is what I have in my 40 untill I decide to add more hp then I will go to a Porsche 930 box.

Probably about 450 hp but not a lot of weight and not the off-the-line torque of a v8.

I am really confused as to what audi box to get and where to find it.

• 012 - I gather is available in 97+ a4/passat
  • 016 - available in 5000. Is there another tranny available in the 5000 as well that is no good or is any 5000 non-quattro trans going to be about the same
  • 01e - also in the 5000 - possibly the best option.
  • 01x - pretty much same as 012 but in 2001+ fwd a4/passat. after 2001 the 012 is quattro only?

012: Started use in 1988 with the 80/90, and used up to 2007 in A4's 80/90/100/passat/Boxster. Very weak both FWD and AWD.

016: used from 1976 to 1991 FWD found in the 5000/200/100 only Both FWD and AWD. This transmission hasn't been used since the 1991 200 and 1991 V8.

01E: used in the Audi S4 starting in 1992 up to 2003. Never came to USA in Front wheel drive format. Found in the passat, 100, A4, A6, A8, S8,S2, RS2, V8, RS4. FWD only in the A8, A4, A6,100 diesel cars.

01X: Used in 2003 to 2007 Came in FWD and AWD, only AWD in USA.

0A2: Used in 2004 S4 to present. FWD and AWD. FWD never made it to the USA.

$1200 isn't a reasonable amount to find a gearbox that can handle the kind of horsepower you seek. With that kind of power, all the gearboxes mentioned above could have problems if they are driven poorly. I wouldn't even consider an 016, or an 012 for your application. The 01E, 0A2, and 01X never came to the USA in FWD format, so you won't find one in a junkyard.

Back