Soulcoaxer why spam so many threads?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Here's the short cut to the correct answer. Follow these directions to be happy with your car:
Rule #1 on GT40 transaxles: GET A ZF.
Rule #2 on GT40 transaxles: see Rule # 1

ZFs are tough, original, they work great, and they are available. If you can, get a -2 version and get it fettled by someone who knows what they are doing. I don't know where you are, but I HIGHLY recommend Ron McCall here in MD. He's done a slew of them, he knows them, he's honest and he's reasonable. And he gets things done on time.

GT40 engine: build whatever you want, but FIND A LOCAL BUILDER. Most of the unhappy stories about GT40 engines are about people who ordered one from a famous builder in another state. The hell with that. Find a LOCAL machine shop who build race engines- drag motors, road race, whatever- and get them to build you what you want. If you want to begin with a crate engine and have them disassemble it and blueprint it, fine, but don't mail order a custom engine from Roush etc. In short.....

Think globally, buy locally. Find a good race engine shop where you are and make it a point to tell them that they were recommended by local folks. Don't use anyone who's been in business less than about five years.

I speak from experience. And one final thing: you don't need a lot of power to make a GT40 go fast. They only weigh 2300 pounds ready to go. A ZF has a final drive ratio of 4.22/1. Four hundred hp and similar torque will allow you to scare yourself anyplace on the map and you will have a manageable engine that will last you a while.

Now, get ready for the slings and arrows......I'm ducking.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm with you there Jimbo,

I went with a new ZF and a new, SBF crate motor.

I have read all the recent threads, concerning the problems folks have had with Roush, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

I went with a Dart, 302 based Roush 342R, (450 HP, 425 TQ) I have just passed 35,000 miles and so far no problems this either the motor or transaxle. The Motor seems to do everything very well.

I find if I use 4,000 RPM, it is quite fast, the grearing seems perfect for the street, it is quite fun, makes great noises, all without scaring anyone too bad.

Then when needed, I have that other 2,000 RPM instantly on tap, then things happen very, very fast!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
No, not my daily driver, but I have had P-2264 since 2008, and I do drive her a lot, mostly on weekends.

Keep in mind, here in Californis, the vast majority of weekends are dry. I bet in the last year, there have not been more than five or six weekends that were complete wash outs. Add to that, from early May to late September, it does not rain at all. Add in summer evening drives to the coast, it adds up.

Plus, we live on Skyline Blvd, so at the end of my driveway is a wonderful, fast, open driving road with little traffic, no lights and only one stop sign in 30+ miles.

Last edited:

Keith

Plus, we live on Skyline Blvd, so at the end of my driveway is a wonderful, fast, open driving road with little traffic, no lights and only one stop sign in 30+ miles.

Uh oh.......:thumbsdown:

35speedlimit.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Dick,

Highway 35, speed limit is 55, and on weekends there are lots of CHP around, on week days, none!

Back