Spacers vs adapters question

I apologize that this question is not directly GT40 related. I was wondering if any suspension/track experts out there can provide any insight.

I am trying to decide on a set of street/track rims for my GT3 RS. For the money, quality and past experience, I am trying to get a set of Volk TE37s to work. Unfortunately, the only come in rear offsets for the GT3, not the wider RS.

Both the GT3 and GT3 RS come stock with a 5 mm spacer with the rear wheel specs of 19x12 68mm offset for the GT3 and 51mm for the RS. The 19x12 TE37 comes with a 65mm offset. So, I need to either run a set of wheel adapters or spacers.

The 2 scenarios are:
1. H&R 18mm spacers to replace my 5mm spacer and run longer bolts which would bring the TE37 within 1 mm of stock offset, 1mm more positive in this scenario.

2. 21 mm adapters with studs which would bring the wheel 2mm more negative in offset than stock.

I figure that since the centerline of the wheel is so close to stock in either situation, there should be no undue stress to the bearings, suspension, etc. Will I be at risk of stressing the bolts, adaptors, etc?

If this is Ok, Are spacers with longer bolts versus adapters with studs a better way to go?
Is this a scenario that you would avoid entirely?
Can I use this on the track? I am by no means a hardcore track guy. Just someone who likes to bring his car out for DEs.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back