SPEC Clutches Interest?

Originally Posted by Russ Noble
I also disagree with the statements made elsewhere that sintered bronze multiplate clutches are harsh and unprogressive. When using a concentric hydraulic release bearing which effectively has no pivot friction or lever flex, I have found these to be well modulated and easy to use. Maybe it's all in the release setup?

Thank you, Russ. That's part of the reason for the recommendation to provide "an annular hydraulic release mechanism with all clutches." It is not difficult to design progressive engagement into a multidisc clutch as well. (I have worked on two stage, multidisc clutches where one plate operated a p.t.o. (1st stage) and the other propelled the vehicle through a single clutch pedal.)

Another reason for the recommendation is that it would open up the use of a wider range of transaxles. My guess is that, as time goes along, more and more people will start to consider more conservative power plants in order to achieve better fuel mileage while having very minimal impact on the "fun factor" of owning and driving a GT40. This would make the plentiful 915 a very viable transaxle. This would be especially true if a simple to implement and reasonably priced hydraulic clutch mechanism were available.

Regards,
Lynn

Gentlemen,

I must apologize for making a statement of such finality:

"The down side of multi disc clutches is their abruptness, so you normally lose any sense of modulation. Though not an issue for a track car, it makes for difficult smooth launching on the street."

It should have been prefaced with "In my experience."

What I find, is that multi disc configurations provide somewhat poor modulation at low RPM engagement and seem to favor higher RPM and a slow pedal to slip the clutch for smoother launching, though race clutches are not very tolerant of this. Additionally, multi disc friction materials are often quite thin by comparison, so you don't normally get a lot of cycles.

I will soon be testing a single disc sintered bronze clutch pack for a street application; hopefully I'll learn from that experience as well.

I look forward to any further developments in this area, and will *attempt* to remain humble in the presence of this forum ;-)

Andy

If it helps....pictures :D

Its the cover we need uprating really. It just don't clamp hard enough!

resized004-1.jpg

resized002-1.jpg

resized001-1.jpg

Ever thought abot trying to make a multi-application kit of sorts? Like, make the primary shaft fitments for all the different boxes, with a common outer fitting for the friction plate. Then make different application friction plates, but with the common inner fitting to joint to the primary shaft fitments you just made. The covers are a bit more difficult I suppose, You could do different diameter ones with friction surfaces matching the friction plates, and 'blank' outer edges we could drill fittings in ourselves I suppose.

Just something I was pondering at work (I was really busy, obviously)

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I should find out later today what I can do for you guys as far as pricing. Then it's on to becoming a supporter of the site and going from there!!! I guess I'll actually have to register again under the shop name though... Haha

Thanks again,

Brian

PS
If there's any more interest, please post it up quick!!

Brian Hamilton

Mark Worthington & DaveL485
You guys both have PM's I need answers from. Dave, I need the dimensions I asked for in order to get a correct quote for ya. You guys are the only ones I'm waiting on. HURRY UP!! Hahaha Thanks guys!

Laters,

Brian

Brian Hamilton

Prices on the way shortly still haven't heard from DaveL485 on his setup, but I figured I can give you guys prices at least. I've got to become a supporter of the site first though. That's next...

Laters,

Brian

Back