Speedometer

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Am I wrong to assume that to swap out for the Speedhut unit is a fairly simple and straightforward process?

It's not too difficult, but not a snap either. The hardest part is getting the old one out; it is retained by the usual post and knurled-nut method, and one of the nuts is on the far side relative to the access panel. Just be prepared to squeeze your hand through some narrow openings with somewhat abrasive fiberglass edges. If either of the nuts is on very hard it can be frustrating and hard on your fingertips.

The new one is retained by a ring nut with the ID of the tach, with very fine plastic threads, so the trick there is holding the nut against the threads squarely enough to get it started. Once started you just spin in on with a finger tip.

I don't recall the antenna cable routing exactly, but it was fairly obvious at the time. Also the cable is far longer than you need so you have to coil the execess up and hide it somewhere, or shorten it if you want to deal with really small coax. Doable but probably not worth it.

Howard's probably right about hiding the antenna. It might be worth a try leaving it inside the dash and/or experimenting by testing it sitting in the passenger footwell to see if it receives a good enough signal through a few layers of bodywork, etc.

The wiring is a little more complicated because you have to include a DC-DC converter module they supply that powers the backlight. But that is something you can deal with "on the bench" ahead of time such that in the end you are down to four wires: ground, ign., bat (to keep the GPS alive for faster fixes), dash-lights. So three of those you can get from the ignition switch, and the fourth is "left over" from the original tach.

(BTW sorry about the odd wording of my question about bouncing. I misread your original post as meaning you had a GPS unit that was bouncing. Most (all?) SPFs come from the factory with the speedo cable severely bent right behind the speedo, and I suspect from that alone are guaranteed to have cable whip and bounce problems, if not infant death.).

I just drilled a small hole in the center of the defrost panel, fed the ant. wire thru, coiled up the excess and hung it on a frame piece under the dash. The antenna end just sets there on the defrost panel which is black like the ant. No problem. Mine just fits between a couple of bumps. If it is loose and wants to slide around, just put a dab of silicon on the bottom of the antenna to make it stick in place. I fed the power thru an off/on switch so I can turn off the power when I park in the garage for long periods. Just flip it on with the fuel pumps and it is ready to go by time I backout of the garage.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Let the dumb questions begin... pulled the passenger side access panel on the dash and was confronted with the fuse panel. No big deal just unbolt and pull it out of the way a bit. Seems like there are nuts on the back of each of the four allen headed bolts that attach it to the chassis. Not seeing and easy way to get a wrench on the with the dash in place. Before I go and start tearing stuff apart is there something here I'm missing? It might be possible to squeeze in there with the fuse panel in place but there is not much room. Thanks for helping the rookie.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
It might be possible to squeeze in there with the fuse panel in place but there is not much room.

I didn't do anything to the fuse panel to get the speedo in and out (although I would love to have done so). It didn't look to me like it was possible to unfasten it while the dash was in place since I could not access the fuse panel mounting bolts. My recollection is the upper right side bolt looked absolutely impossible to reliably get a wrench on.

Unfortunately I'm moving in two days or I would go out and start taking mine apart to refresh my memory. And I have no clear memory of what, if anything, I did via the fuse panel opening.

Be sure to aggressively investiage all the ways to get your hand up behind the speedo from below the dash. IIRC there are a couple paths with varying degrees of skin abrasion involved. And I'm pretty sure you want the switch panel out as well to go in from the left side.

But there is definitely "not much room."

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have mine mostly completed but have another question. On the RBT transaxle I would like to disconnect the speedo cable. Does anyone know the thread size needed if I wanted to cap the transaxle? I have a call into RBT but have not heard back. Thanks

Speedhut speedometer/odometer works like a champ with antenna connected to strap around mock oil tank. No visible antenna or wires.

Back