Steve's RCR GT40 Build

Klaf

Supporter
I didn’t order the adjustable petals. Big oversight on my part. RCR didn’t have any but I found a similar part on a Volkswagen bug racing site for 1/2 the price. Needed a different top plate tho.
IMG_5980.jpeg
IMG_5981.jpeg
IMG_5982.jpeg

Vinny P

Supporter
I went down the rabbit hole with doubling the firewall sound and heat protection sandwich as detailed in Tom’s trackracer. It took him, a master, 14 hours. I have what seems like a lifetime into this and it’s not done.
First I cut a mirror image out in sheet aluminum. Then glued some aluminum stock using JB Weld. Primed and coated with lizard skin sound and heat. Then a layer of dynomat extreme and dynaliner. View attachment 137087View attachment 137088View attachment 137089
View attachment 137086View attachment 137091

Then I welded the the mirror pieceView attachment 137092View attachment 137093
boy, inside corners are tough.
View attachment 137094View attachment 137090
Looking good. Who did your rear glass? I still need to have a safety glass made up.

Vinny P

Supporter
Looks good. I have a RCR slider to sell I didn't like the pedals being up that high in the car so I'm not going to use it.

Nice job. A suggestion, if your pedal box is out of the car, you may think to add on the left side a support to put your left foot on it when it is not pushing on the clutch pedal. If you have a non adjiusable pedal box this support may be screw on the side, but when the pedal box is moving the support shall move in the same time.

Klaf

Supporter
So I followed the recipe Tom used in his RCR 40 trackracer in make my the double firewall sandwich. I’m finally finished. And just to be true to my build, I had to take it out again and sand several areas back to fit the spider correctly. I missed one small detail. He brilliantly took a 1/4 inch off the entire wall before he assembled it. Smart.
IMG_6537.jpeg
IMG_6555.jpeg
IMG_6554.jpeg

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Are you upgrading the firewall window to glass? I am planning to leverage Tom’s build as well, except that my car will only do a few fun track days, nothing serious, so probably won’t do some of his mods.

Klaf

Supporter
Yes it’s tempered glass. You get 2 aluminum trim pieces for the window in the firewall from RCR. I brought one to a glass guy who cut a piece of tempered glass 1/2 inch bigger. Cost 50-60 bucks. I then used epoxy to glue it in on 1 side. I used foam strip on the opposite side to seal it in.
IMG_5935.png

Back