SPF Speedometer Issues

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I didn't know that about the logo deal but makes sence. Here are those pictures I promissed. Note that the picture with the lights on is in my garage with the lights on, for us older guys the brighter the better. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9288.jpg
    IMG_9288.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_9290.jpg
    IMG_9290.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_9291.jpg
    IMG_9291.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 296
Hi Jack,

Thank you for the information, I am going the electronic route for my car. Could you please elaborate on the issue with or without the additional unit you mentioned, do I need it for the speedo to work correctly or is it an unneeded component?

Is that the voltmeter beside the speedo that you removed the Ammeter for?

TR

For those of you who have removed the speedo cable, can you share your experiance? Is it secured in hidden areas, or can it just be pulled out?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Tony, if your a fabricator type of person then you can make a bracket to hold a magnetic crank trigger which is used on just about all fords and GM cars now, crank or cam triggers sell for about $20-$30 depending on which one you get. It could be placed on the transaxle and use the hex head bolts as the object that would give the trigger a pulse. They all do the same thing, the create a small amount of electricity (pulse) when a object passes by them, these pluses are counted by the speedo and used to calculate speed. Speed is Number of pulses divided by time which gives you the reading on the speedo. The speedo when you get it is uncalibrated but all you have to do is mark off a straight 2 miles of a road and press the cal button when you start and end. This tells the unit how many pulses it took to go that distance then it has a standard to use for the time verse number of pulses to calculate speed. If you don't have the time or equipment to make something then purchase the unit from the manufacture I posted on earlier. The only complaint with the unit I purchased is I didn't have any leakage from my transaxle but now there is drip from that connection. With external trigger unit I could just cap off the speedometer drive. Yes Tony I removed the amp-meter, it is useless to me as the voltmeter tells me far more than the amp-meter, my plan is to replace ALL the gauges so I can see them at night. I retired many years ago from the electronic industry, many things these days are FAR better and MUCH cheaper than before, these gauges are a good example.

Rick, just cut one end off and pull on the other end of the cable, it will slide out easy or I would recommend to tie the wire (2 wires and shield) for the new electronic unit on the end so you can pull it through while taking the old one out and kill to birds with one stone.

Last edited:
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info, not really a fabricator but some what handy with fixing things. I have a FAA A&P license and have turned a few wrenches but, in this case I am looking for the easy way out. I looked under the car, followed the cable and it is wire tied along its entire length.

You recommended to Rick that you can cut the cable , tie the new wiring to it along with the shield and pull it through for the new installation. Did you pull it from the transaxel end or from under the dash and did you clip all the connectors along the way or did the new wire and shield pull through with the cable inside of the existing housing?

BTW the reason I was gone is that one of my daughters got married in Southern California this past weekend.

TR

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Tony I cut the end that was on the speedometer stuffed a shielded 2 wire cable into the cable end then taped it. I then took off the cover behind the drivers seat (little panel) and pulled from the there while feeding the wire, after that I pulled it from the transaxle then cut the end of the wire and zip tied it to the brake line. Hope this helps. I am enjoying my old Lamborghini Countach up here in Ukiah, if you get some time off come and visit me we will cruise to the coast.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

Guess it is time to exercise the paypal account and order the bits and pieces you outlined and make the change.

Would love to cruise with you, I'll let you know when it clears up at this end time wise, we might come up in the Cobra if the weather holds. We are going to Tahoe with the BACC "Snakes to the Lake" September 19,20 ,21.

TR

Hi Guys,

Got the pickup here in my hands and ordered the speedo this morning, I'll let you all know how it goes by the end of next week.

Thanks to all of you for your help and recommendations.

TR

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Here is what the gages that Jack has been talking about look like at night. I got them installed in my SPF last weekend and really LIKE them.

Also is a picture of my solution to the air conditioning controls in the door. I now have no wires going into the door and can remove the door easily. I don't know about the right hand drive cars but there was about 48" of extra wiring in the harness going to the AC controls in the door. All that extra wire is not there now. It has been replaced with multi-wire plugs to allow easy removal of the dash panels.

Thanks Jack for locating these for me.

Attachments

• DSCF5834.jpg
    DSCF5834.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCF5836.jpg
    DSCF5836.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 276
Back