SPF v. CAV

here is a pic of 2103, if you like the looks of MK11s, it is a damn pretty car

gt4011003.jpg

John,

BDR = Backdraft Racing. They bought CAV GT's from our factory in South Africa and re-badged them as BDR GT'S.

See attached picture of the new fully adjustable CAV pedal box.

Attachments

• IMG_8051a.jpg
    IMG_8051a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 370
Well, perhaps I didn't do my homework. Let's include the RCR here. How does it compare? For instance, is the suspension setup like original cars?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I own an SPF, I love my car, but I have also seen Dean Lampe's RCR up close, its beautiful and has more room on the inside, tilt front bonnet and a few other things that I liked better than my SPF. Also remember both RCR and CAV are less to rust or corrode, I can see that even washing my car could be a hazard to the future of it. SPF is great for the fact its a roller and its just like the original cars. But who said the old cars where perfect? The CAV looks a tad bigger in my eyes but they are awesome, I seen Johann's car in Road American, it was beautiful. I am not sure if you have the time but I would say either RCR or CAV would be a good choice for a build, but if your like me and really don't want to waste several years of what we have left of a life then buy a car that is completed or a SPF roller. I have not read this entire thread but sure I am repeating someone else but this is my thoughts.
Jack

actually, the majority of CAVs come just as the SPFs do, as a roller minus motor and trans. the RCR cars susp is set up like original cars, however, fran uses CNC machined components that are nothing like the original cars, much like how Kirkham is doing their susp pieces for their cobras. It looks nice

Chuck is right, the RCR suspension is not a copy of the original. It is, however, infinitely adjustable. I have shared the bump steer, Ackerman, corner weights, and wheel rates here on the forum. I think it really comes down to what parts of the car need to look original to suit your taste. The exterior of most GT 40's come from original cars or copies of original cars. There are differences but original just the same. The chassis's are much different. SPF has the hands down winner for originality. Notice I didn't say better. It depends on what you want. The interiors are a different story. I have been in the original cars and they don't have any ultra suede or A/C in them. Most RCR's, SPF's and CAV's "resemble" the original but are not really close. Most people probably don't want an authentic interior, it is pretty raw. Like others, I have tried to keep the "spirit" of the interior original but it is still too comfortable. Here is my front Chassis and my interior.

IMG_1937.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

Ian Clark

Supporter
John,

Were you looking for a quick build or a kit? If you go with a CAV or SPF roller it's a quick build, even upgrading a Series 100 CAV gets you involved, in each case the car is but the car is on the road much sooner.

I don't know about other manufacturers levels of pre-build so I leave it to them for comments. If you're looking build the whole thing then you're open to everything, add ERA, Tornado, RF and DRB to the list to name a few.

As you can see we're all passionate about our cars, everything being offered today is pretty good stuff, I think the crap is long gone. So at the end of the day you'll have a GT40 replica to be passionate about.

Cheers

I think the balance bar issue was solved in later cars (see picture). Anyone know what the threads are on the balance bar. The nut in the picture is 10mm fine and it didn't want to go on.

Attachments

• DSC_4728.jpg
    DSC_4728.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 318

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Richard,

See my balance bar with nut you ref fully engaged.

Steve P2125

PS: See too Left foot rest plate by Dennis.

Attachments

• 100_0307.jpg
    100_0307.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 347
The pitch of the nut may not be the same as the shaft. Ran into this before with various fasteners that were marked the same pitch/diam./thread

Back