Study on effects of "inequality"

lonesomebob;355051 That is most certainly not my quote said:
Bob,

I know exactly why I put

Doug has a lot of evidence in support of his argument. "

However, you have not really answered my question , or maybe that very fact gives me the answer ;)

Bob I finally found a picture of you on your way to your next wind up, hope it's not me note to self don't fall for Bob's windups. :)

Attachments

• bgrn1871l.jpg
    bgrn1871l.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Bob I was trying to cut Jeff some slack but as you pointed out he ALWAYS CONVENIENTLY forgets facts that contradict or should I say DESTROY his point of view. It might actually be best to just stay on the side lines and watch his rainbow fantasy world start to implode on itself and watch them all spin out of control when it does. I notice how not one of them commented on my Obama comment. Wonder why that is???????????????? Give them enough slack in the rope and they will most certainly hang themselves. Oh and here is my great big I TOLD YOU SO about OBAMA and his feelings about Israel all those months ago. I must suck to constantly be PROVEN WRONG! Please oh please and this is an honest plea to those misguided cool aide drinkers; PLEASE WAKE UP before this clown ruins your party beyond repair. Just admit you all made a mistake and lets start to work towards a solution because sticking by YOUR MAN is only going to cause you more pain and egg on your faces (Notice I didn't lump him in with all dems.).

Last edited:
The same can be said of your point, aero. You have never questioned your education, have you.

How can the same be said of my point bob? Don't just say it and run - explain it.

And the hell I haven't questioned my education. You assume that. My points about you are in direct response to things you've said, not made up to fulfill some personal fantasy. I'm an engineer at heart and by degree - I question everything to the point that it annoys people. You want an example of questioning education? Are you religious? Answer that one.

Bob - you seem to have a good mind for the important points of history and could be great in a discussion if you would stop taking such an antagonistic one-sided approach. You're unending barrage of hate toward anything left of center paints you as someone who thinks anything right of center can do no wrong and never has. I'll say it again - that is the source of the divide in this country, not a result of any divide.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Suck, no? Not very smart? Have to say you aren't.

What "facts destroyed my point of view?" That Joe Kennedy ran liquor? Ok. So what? Was Joe Kennedy on my list? Does it even matter?

On the Obama comment, why bother discussing it with you? He was agreeing with Sarkozy that Benjamin Netanyhu is difficult to deal with. How is that "hating Israel?" or whatever you want to read it to be?

Bob I was trying to cut Jeff some slack but as you pointed out he ALWAYS CONVENIENTLY forgets facts that contradict or should I say DESTROY his point of view. It might actually be best to just stay on the side lines and watch his rainbow fantasy world start to implode on itself and watch them all spin out of control when it does. I notice how not one of them commented on my Obama comment. Wonder why that is???????????????? Give them enough slack in the rope and they will most certainly hang themselves. Oh and here is my great big I TOLD YOU SO about OBAMA and his feelings about Israel all those months ago. I must suck to constantly be PROVEN WRONG! Please oh please and this is an honest plea to those misguided cool aide drinkers; PLEASE WAKE UP before this clown ruins your party beyond repair. Just admit you all made a mistake and lets start to work towards a solution because sticking by YOUR MAN is only going to cause you more pain and egg on your faces.

Jeff have you ever heard this saying before ..... with friends like that who needs enemies. If you HONESTLY think that's what happened or that's what Obama was doing than there really is no hope for you at all and thus no need to engage you any longer.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff have you ever heard this saying before ..... with friends like that who needs enemies. If you HONESTLY think that's what happened or that's what Obama was doing than there really is no hope for you at all and thus no need to engage you any longer.

Damian,

That is what happened.............................unless you get more information than most!

Here is what we heard:

"I cannot bear Netanyahu, he's a liar," Sarkozy told Obama, unaware that the microphones in their meeting room had been switched on, enabling reporters in a separate location to listen in to a simultaneous translation.
"You're fed up with him, but I have to deal with him even more often than you," Obama replied, according to the French interpreter.

Damian, that sounds like a discussion we had about Bobbie!

Two world leaders who are very familiar with Mr Netanyahu feel the same way, why do you think that might be?

Here is a quote fron the Middle East Monitor:

The French president's comment revealed absolutely nothing new; there is something of a consensus, both inside and outside Israel, on Netanyahu's expertise in the ways and means of deception

Last edited:
Bob I was trying to cut Jeff some slack but as you pointed out he ALWAYS CONVENIENTLY forgets facts that contradict or should I say DESTROY his point of view. It might actually be best to just stay on the side lines and watch his rainbow fantasy world start to implode on itself and watch them all spin out of control when it does. I notice how not one of them commented on my Obama comment. Wonder why that is???????????????? Give them enough slack in the rope and they will most certainly hang themselves. Oh and here is my great big I TOLD YOU SO about OBAMA and his feelings about Israel all those months ago. I must suck to constantly be PROVEN WRONG! Please oh please and this is an honest plea to those misguided cool aide drinkers; PLEASE WAKE UP before this clown ruins your party beyond repair. Just admit you all made a mistake and lets start to work towards a solution because sticking by YOUR MAN is only going to cause you more pain and egg on your faces (Notice I didn't lump him in with all dems.).

Proof of the partisan child play that is ruining this country. Some people may fit your description above, but I do not. I am registered Independent - I have no interest in following any party; I think for myself. My entire life I purposefully did NOT do what every other kid did. I have never been a Coke or Pepsi type of drink person, and especially not Kool Aid. Yes, I voted for Obama, but not because I thought he was a great choice. In fact, I wasn't excited about him at all. Now doesn't that tell you what I think about who he was running against? The mistake, my friend, was not made by me. It was made by others who brought that situation to bear beyond my control.

In regards to Obama's quote, they all say something equally or more shocking. Remember Bush, while our brothers and sisters were fighting in Iraq, in regards to the insurgents and terrorists: "Bring 'em on." Fucker. That was the biggest douchebag statement I personally have heard a commander in chief say. If my kid was over there fighting his stupid fucking war that statement probably would have sent me to the doctor with high blood pressure. Not once did I ever hear or read someone from the right denounce it nor even mention it. Shove it with your self-righteous partisan utopia. The far left and far right are both guilty of the mess we're in.

You want to work towards a solution? People with your attitude out on the fringes are incapable of working towards a solution.

As for Israel - who gives a f#$k. It's another country just like Zimbabwe, the only difference is that stupid book that people read that has grabbed hold of their minds so tight they forgot they even have a mind. You want to talk facts? The whole basis of any religion lies on faith, which by definition lacks facts. Once people get past that, they'll get past Israel.

OK - sorry for the rant above, but I'm done. There are people here who appear to be intelligent and able to bring useful facts to the discussion but don't know how to have the discussion. Many of us spend more time pointing out the hard core partisan attitude in an attempt to bring things closer for a discussion than actually having the discussion. Why have I been so stupid all this time to address that drivel? I don't know, but I do know it's a waist of time. What the hell is a dozen people screaming back and forth at each other through keyboards going to do to help the world? Nothing. Apparently it wouldn't help if we were face to face either.

This is all such a waist of time. We are all in the same boat because nothing at the top is changing and there is STILL no one on the horizon who will actually do anything about it. We've dwindled our entire system down to two ideological groups. That's the f#%king problem. They both suck.

Now do something about it.

Thanks, Jeff! LB is only one of the three members I have "ignored", so the only posts of his I see are those which are "quoted" by others.

A load of crap-ola it is, too. LB sounds to me more and more like a raving paranoid, every time I read one of his posts that is quoted by somebody he seems to blame the education system for the country's woes, and he is SO far off base on that one....the only problem with trying to convince him of that is that paranoids by definition don't trust others, and LB sure seems to fit the profile to a T (as in T-party???).

Yes, I worked with students much like LB must have been...their definition of success was to avoid having to do their work and create as much mayhem as possible, making the teachers' jobs even more difficult. Then, they had the temerity to complain to their parents that the teachers weren't doing their jobs, creating even more trouble for the teachers. Yet, there are MANY highly experienced teachers who could earn multiple times their salaries if they were to move into the private sector who remain in education, and for good reason...they realize that if individuals like LB were to become the leaders of this nation, we'd be third world material so fast it would make your head swim. I've seen the "privatization" of education's ugly face, it is fraught with greed and abdication of responsibility. Charter schools that work effectively are fewer than 10% of those in existence, yet people like LB will continue to support them b/c of their unreasonable (and, yes, paranoia does render one unreasonable under normal circumstances) perceptions of the goals and operation of those sincere public school teachers.

The main reason I have "ignored" LB and his partners in crime is b/c I am smart enough to adhere to "George's Rule", shown here on one of my guitar cases:

101_3460.jpg

George's Rule, in its' entirety:

"Never argue with someone more stupid than you.
It'll just make 'em mad if you do.
Just leave 'em believing what they know to be true,
never argue with someone more stupid than you."

Here, you can hear all about it in its' entirety:

George's Rule - YouTube

So, in accordance with George's Rule, I continue to muddle through life, leaving LB to believe what he "knows" to be true, however paranoid that belief may be....and allowing "...his mouth to make him look like the backside of some ol' mule", as Bill Barwick so wisely describes his actions.

Cheers!

Doug

you silly little man with your abundant efforts to let everyone know you're ignoring me. You obviously are a political animal, just like me, and you most definitely tried to subvert your students with Marxist propaganda.

Its amazing what damage a wood shop/assistant baseball coach can wreak on the innocent.

We get it. You hate liberals.

Fire up the fertilizer bomb and head on down to San Fran and take a few out.

Did you read my comments? Show me one word of hate. I even complimented JFK for his conservative policies which would have him thrown out of the current Democratic Party.

Fertilizer bomb??? Jim, you are getting more and more cliched in your responses. Time for a medical check up, you've lost what little sharpness you used to possess.

How can the same be said of my point bob? Don't just say it and run - explain it.

And the hell I haven't questioned my education. You assume that. My points about you are in direct response to things you've said, not made up to fulfill some personal fantasy. I'm an engineer at heart and by degree - I question everything to the point that it annoys people. You want an example of questioning education? Are you religious? Answer that one.

Bob - you seem to have a good mind for the important points of history and could be great in a discussion if you would stop taking such an antagonistic one-sided approach. You're unending barrage of hate toward anything left of center paints you as someone who thinks anything right of center can do no wrong and never has. I'll say it again - that is the source of the divide in this country, not a result of any divide.

Thank you, aero. Why is it wrong to have firm beliefs in one political philosophy or another?
I've had personal family history with the nightmare of totalitarian liberalism. So have millions on millions of others in Europe and Asia.

I honestly can't see how limited governmnet is evil while ever growing government control is considered as the only answer to the problems we all face now.

Show me one instance of big government reducing debt and growing the economy over an extended period of time.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Bob on liberals:

1. "Killing their own children"....by educating them about sex.
2. "Destroying the country"....by attempting to make sure that the poor, the elderly and the sick have a chance.
3. "Totalitarian"....because they believe in reasonable limits to the free market.

And so on. You use everything but the word hate.

And you don't get to claim JFK as "yours."

Hate on this:

President John F. Kennedy on being a liberal...
"I believe in human dignity as the source of national purpose, in human liberty as the source of national action, in the human heart as the source of national compassion, and in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas. It is, I believe, the faith in our fellow citizens as individuals and as people that lies at the heart of the liberal faith. For liberalism is not so much a party creed or set of fixed platform promises as it is an attitude of mind and heart, a faith in man's ability through the experiences of his reason and judgment to increase for himself and his fellow men the amount of justice and freedom and brotherhood which all human life deserves

I believe also in the United States of America, in the promise that it contains and has contained throughout our history of producing a society so abundant and creative and so free and responsible that it cannot only fulfill the aspirations of its citizens, but serve equally well as a beacon for all mankind. I do not believe in a superstate. I see no magic in tax dollars which are sent to Washington and then returned. I abhor the waste and incompetence of large-scale federal bureaucracies in this administration as well as in others. I do not favor state compulsion when voluntary individual effort can do the job and do it well. But I believe in a government which acts, which exercises its full powers and full responsibilities. Government is an art and a precious obligation; and when it has a job to do, I believe it should do it. And this requires not only great ends but that we propose concrete means of achieving them.

Our responsibility is not discharged by announcement of virtuous ends. Our responsibility is to achieve these objectives with social invention, with political skill, and executive vigor. I believe for these reasons that liberalism is our best and only hope in the world today. For the liberal society is a free society, and it is at the same time and for that reason a strong society. Its strength is drawn from the will of free people committed to great ends and peacefully striving to meet them. Only liberalism, in short, can repair our national power, restore our national purpose, and liberate our national energies.

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

Mr Kennedy really had a way with words!
You're right on Jim..now contrast the words of Kennedy with obama's political actions..do you see any similarities? I don't..now if you you want to break it down sentence by sentence I'm willing to do that.. but I think we both know that your democratic party has moved soooo far too the left that the modern liberal mind has very little to with what was going on in kennedy's head when he wrote that....I truthfully think he would feel shamed at his party.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Sure Craig. Break it down. This President is trying to do exactly what President Kennedy laid out 41 years ago:

"I believe in human dignity as the source of national purpose, in human liberty as the source of national action, in the human heart as the source of national compassion, and in the human mind as the source of our invention and our ideas. It is, I believe, the faith in our fellow citizens as individuals and as people that lies at the heart of the liberal faith. For liberalism is not so much a party creed or set of fixed platform promises as it is an attitude of mind and heart, a faith in man's ability through the experiences of his reason and judgment to increase for himself and his fellow men the amount of justice and freedom and brotherhood which all human life deserves

I believe also in the United States of America, in the promise that it contains and has contained throughout our history of producing a society so abundant and creative and so free and responsible that it cannot only fulfill the aspirations of its citizens, but serve equally well as a beacon for all mankind. I do not believe in a superstate. I see no magic in tax dollars which are sent to Washington and then returned. I abhor the waste and incompetence of large-scale federal bureaucracies in this administration as well as in others. I do not favor state compulsion when voluntary individual effort can do the job and do it well. But I believe in a government which acts, which exercises its full powers and full responsibilities. Government is an art and a precious obligation; and when it has a job to do, I believe it should do it. And this requires not only great ends but that we propose concrete means of achieving them.

Our responsibility is not discharged by announcement of virtuous ends. Our responsibility is to achieve these objectives with social invention, with political skill, and executive vigor. I believe for these reasons that liberalism is our best and only hope in the world today. For the liberal society is a free society, and it is at the same time and for that reason a strong society. Its strength is drawn from the will of free people committed to great ends and peacefully striving to meet them. Only liberalism, in short, can repair our national power, restore our national purpose, and liberate our national energies.

What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then the record of this party and its members demonstrate that we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."[/QUOTE]

Pro Life, strike one. Lowered taxes to stop a recession, strike two. Escalate us into a war in Viet Nam, strike three. All poor Joe Lieberman did was endorse the Iraq war and he loses his DNC funding for re-election. Everything else, Lieberman was a straight party line man.

How do you all think they would have treated a Dem with Kennedy's credentials today???? He would have found, like Reagan, that the Democrat Party had left him.

But, you know what, I'm not trying to claim him as a Conservative. I'm only pointing out the trouble he would have had being one.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
So ignorant of history you are Bob. Kennedy lowered tax rates to....50 percent top. Pro life because of his religion, and the times were differnt. He always regretted the decision to continue the ongoing assistance to South Vietnam.

I'd actually say Kennedy's New Frontier was to the left of President Obama's currrent policies. You remember the New Frontier or did you quit school before you got to that in history class?

Amongst the legislation passed by Congress during the Kennedy Administration, unemployment benefits were expanded, aid was provided to cities to improve housing and transportation, funds were allocated to continue the construction of a national highway system started under Eisenhower, a water pollution control act was passed to protect the country’s rivers and streams, and an agricultural act to raise farmers’ incomes was made law.[4] A significant amount of anti-poverty legislation was passed by Congress, including increases in social security benefits and in the minimum wage, several housing bills, and aid to economically distressed areas. A few antirecession public works packages,[5] together with a number of measures designed to assist farmers,[6] were introduced. Major expansions and improvements were made in Social Security (including retirement at 62 for men), hospital construction, library services, family farm assistance and reclamation.[7] Food stamps for low-income Americans were reintroduced, food distribution to the poor was increased, and there was an expansion in school milk and school lunch distribution.[8] The most comprehensive farm legislation since 1938 was carried out, with expansions in rural electrification, soil conservation, crop insurance, farm credit, and marketing orders.[9] In September 1961, the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency was established as the focal point in government for the “planning, negotiation, and execution of international disarmament and arms control agreements.”[10] Altogether, the New Frontier witnessed the passage of a broad range of important social and economic reforms.[11]

According to Theodore White, under John F. Kennedy, more new legislation was actually approved and passed into law than at any other time since the Thirties.[12] When Congress recessed in the latter part of 1961, 33 out of 53 bills that Kennedy had submitted to Congress were enacted. A year later, 40 out of 54 bills that the Kennedy Administration had proposed were passed by Congress, and in 1963 35 out of 58 “must” bills were enacted. As noted by Larry O’Brien,

“A myth had arisen that he (Kennedy) was uninterested in Congress, or that he “failed” with Congress. The facts, I believe, are otherwise. Kennedy’s legislative record in 1961-63 was the best of any President since Roosevelt’s first term”.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Oopps...top tax rates were cut from 91 percent to 70 percent under JFK. And they were demand side. Read on and learn, one Lonesome Nutjob:

Since the drive to pass Ronald Reagan's tax cuts in the 1980s, Republicans have often invoked John F. Kennedy as the patron saint of supply-side economics. For several years now, conservative groups such as the National Association of Manufacturers and the Club for Growth—the supply-side group whose name sounds like a hair-replacement outfit—have used JFK's name and words to depict Republican tax cuts skewed toward the rich as part of a grand bipartisan tradition. (In 1997 in Slate, Democratic strategist Bob Shrum dissected one of these ads.) Now the Club for Growth's Stephen Moore is enlisting JFK to take a swipe at Howard Dean's economic vision in the Wall Street Journal, declaring it anti-growth, burdensome to the middle-class, and in an oh-so-painful concluding slap, final proof that the Democrats "no longer believe a word of John F. Kennedy's message of 40 years ago."

So, was Kennedy really a forerunner to Reagan and Bush? Or are supply-siders just cynically appropriating his aura? The Republicans are right, up to a point. Kennedy did push tax cuts, and his plan, which passed in February 1964, three months after his death, did help spur economic growth. But they're wrong to see the tax reduction as a supply-side cut, like Reagan's and Bush's; it was a demand-side cut. "The Revenue Act of 1964 was aimed at the demand, rather than the supply, side of the economy," said Arthur Okun, one of Kennedy's economic advisers.

Advertisement

This distinction, taught in Economics 101, seldom makes it into the Washington sound-bite wars. A demand-side cut rests on the Keynesian theory that public consumption spurs economic activity. Government puts money in people's hands, as a temporary measure, so that they'll spend it. A supply-side cut sees business investment as the key to growth. Government gives money to businesses and wealthy individuals to invest, ultimately benefiting all Americans. Back in the early 1960s, tax cutting was as contentious as it is today, but it was liberal demand-siders who were calling for the cuts and generating the controversy.

When Kennedy ran for president in 1960 amid a sluggish economy, he vowed to "get the country moving again." After his election, his advisers, led by chief economist Walter Heller, urged a classically Keynesian solution: running a deficit to stimulate growth. (The $10 billion deficit Heller recommended, bold at the time, seems laughably small by today's standards.) In Keynesian theory, a tax cut aimed at consumers would have a "multiplier" effect, since each dollar that a taxpayer spent would go to another taxpayer, who would in effect spend it again—meaning the deficit would be short-lived.

At first Kennedy balked at Heller's Keynesianism. He even proposed a balanced budget in his first State of the Union address. But Heller and his team won over the president. By mid-1962 Kennedy had seen the Keynesian light, and in January 1963 he declared that "the enactment this year of tax reduction and tax reform overshadows all other domestic issues in this Congress."

The plan Kennedy's team drafted had many elements, including the closing of loopholes (the "tax reform" Kennedy spoke of).Ultimately, in the form that Lyndon Johnson signed into law, it reduced tax withholding rates, initiated a new standard deduction, and boosted the top deduction for child care expenses, among other provisions. It did lower the top tax bracket significantly, although from a vastly higher starting point than anything we've seen in recent years: 91 percent on marginal income greater than $400,000. And he cut it only to 70 percent, hardly the mark of a future Club for Growth member.

Yet the Kennedy-Johnson team saw the supply-side effects of the bill as secondary, if not incidental, to its main goal of prodding near-term growth. "The tax cut is good for long-run growth," said James Tobin, another economist on JFK's team, "only in the general sense that prosperity is good for investment." The immediate boost to the economy was the main goal. In fact, Nixon's economic adviser Herb Stein noted that the 1964 plan led to a diminished output-per-person-employed—a fact that could argue against the supply-side tenet that lower marginal rates would unleash the productivity of workers deterred from working harder because of overtaxation.

Many liberals disliked Kennedy's plan on grounds of equity. Leon Keyserling, an economist who had served Harry Truman, lamented that the richest 12 percent of Americans would get 45 percent of the benefits. Michael Harrington, the scholar of poverty, called the plan "reactionary Keynesianism." The AFL-CIO came out against it.

That Kennedy had to rebut charges of unfairness from his left flank seems to lend credence to the supply-siders' analogy with Bush. But that analogy omits the additional fact that Kennedy's toughest opposition came from business. Corporate America distrusted Kennedy, especially after he took on the steel industry in 1962 for raising prices. A June 1962 poll showed that 88 percent of businessmen viewed him as hostile to them. Motivated by a mixture of traditional balanced-budget conservatism and personal distrust, many of them voiced opposition to the cuts.

Kennedy took pains to sell the package to the business world. Departing from the more representative rhetoric of his June 1962 Yale commencement speech, he deliberately dressed up his program in language he thought business would like when he addressed the New York Economic Club in December 1962. He noted that the then-current system "reduces the financial incentives for personal effort, investment, and risk-taking." As his speechwriter Ted Sorensen later explained, "It sounded like Hoover, but it was actually Heller." According to historian David Shreve of the Miller Center for Public Affairs—on whose excellent work I've drawn here—it is from this December 1962 speech that the supply-side appropriators of the Kennedy mystique usually cull their quotations. They skirt the ample documentary evidence showing that the pro-business rhetoric of the Economic Club speech was largely strategic

All the details you want Jeff. The cold hard fact is that Lieberman was thrown out for one infraction. kennedy would not have been welcome in today's Democratic Party.

What troubles me here from you is, saying that Kennedy was pro life because of his religion, what does that mean to you?

Everyone regrets the ravages of war, but not many start them.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I will post all the details I want. They are called facts. They show you to be ingorant of history and just spouting nonsense.

JFK, RFK and Teddy Kennedy would all be in the left wing of the Democractic party today due primarily to their social policies. Read the New Frontier. You guys would be screaming "socialist!" at JFK if he were around now. He couldn't get within 100 yards of the present Republican party with tax rates at 70% or MORE food stamps and unemployment and aid to the poor.

He was pro-life personnally due to his religion. He was also probably the most eloquent I have ever read on the idea that a man must keep his personal religious beliefs separate from what he must do in public life. He would have respected Roe v. Wade.

Read here and learn more. This is 180 degrees from the constant God-trolling that any Republican candidate has to do these days to appease the "social" religious conservatives who hold the purse strings to the party:

Kennedy: Rev. Meza, Rev. Reck, I'm grateful for your generous invitation to speak my views.

While the so-called religious issue is necessarily and properly the chief topic here tonight, I want to emphasize from the outset that we have far more critical issues to face in the 1960 election: the spread of Communist influence, until it now festers 90 miles off the coast of Florida; the humiliating treatment of our president and vice president by those who no longer respect our power; the hungry children I saw in West Virginia; the old people who cannot pay their doctor bills; the families forced to give up their farms; an America with too many slums, with too few schools, and too late to the moon and outer space.

These are the real issues which should decide this campaign. And they are not religious issues — for war and hunger and ignorance and despair know no religious barriers.

But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected president, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured — perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again not what kind of church I believe in — for that should be important only to me — but what kind of America I believe in.

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials; and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

For while this year it may be a Catholic against whom the finger of suspicion is pointed, in other years it has been, and may someday be again, a Jew— or a Quaker or a Unitarian or a Baptist. It was Virginia's harassment of Baptist preachers, for example, that helped lead to Jefferson's statute of religious freedom. Today I may be the victim, but tomorrow it may be you — until the whole fabric of our harmonious society is ripped at a time of great national peril.

Finally, I believe in an America where religious intolerance will someday end; where all men and all churches are treated as equal; where every man has the same right to attend or not attend the church of his choice; where there is no Catholic vote, no anti-Catholic vote, no bloc voting of any kind; and where Catholics, Protestants and Jews, at both the lay and pastoral level, will refrain from those attitudes of disdain and division which have so often marred their works in the past, and promote instead the American ideal of brotherhood.

That is the kind of America in which I believe. And it represents the kind of presidency in which I believe — a great office that must neither be humbled by making it the instrument of any one religious group, nor tarnished by arbitrarily withholding its occupancy from the members of any one religious group. I believe in a president whose religious views are his own private affair, neither imposed by him upon the nation, or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office.

I would not look with favor upon a president working to subvert the First Amendment's guarantees of religious liberty. Nor would our system of checks and balances permit him to do so. And neither do I look with favor upon those who would work to subvert Article VI of the Constitution by requiring a religious test — even by indirection — for it. If they disagree with that safeguard, they should be out openly working to repeal it.

I want a chief executive whose public acts are responsible to all groups and obligated to none; who can attend any ceremony, service or dinner his office may appropriately require of him; and whose fulfillment of his presidential oath is not limited or conditioned by any religious oath, ritual or obligation.

This is the kind of America I believe in, and this is the kind I fought for in the South Pacific, and the kind my brother died for in Europe. No one suggested then that we may have a "divided loyalty," that we did "not believe in liberty," or that we belonged to a disloyal group that threatened the "freedoms for which our forefathers died."

And in fact ,this is the kind of America for which our forefathers died, when they fled here to escape religious test oaths that denied office to members of less favored churches; when they fought for the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom; and when they fought at the shrine I visited today, the Alamo. For side by side with Bowie and Crockett died McCafferty and Bailey and Carey. But no one knows whether they were Catholic or not, for there was no religious test at the Alamo.

I ask you tonight to follow in that tradition, to judge me on the basis of my record of 14 years in Congress, on my declared stands against an ambassador to the Vatican, against unconstitutional aid to parochial schools, and against any boycott of the public schools (which I have attended myself)— instead of judging me on the basis of these pamphlets and publications we all have seen that carefully select quotations out of context from the statements of Catholic church leaders, usually in other countries, frequently in other centuries, and always omitting, of course, the statement of the American Bishops in 1948, which strongly endorsed church-state separation, and which more nearly reflects the views of almost every American Catholic.

I do not consider these other quotations binding upon my public acts. Why should you? But let me say, with respect to other countries, that I am wholly opposed to the state being used by any religious group, Catholic or Protestant, to compel, prohibit, or persecute the free exercise of any other religion. And I hope that you and I condemn with equal fervor those nations which deny their presidency to Protestants, and those which deny it to Catholics. And rather than cite the misdeeds of those who differ, I would cite the record of the Catholic Church in such nations as Ireland and France, and the independence of such statesmen as Adenauer and De Gaulle.

But let me stress again that these are my views. For contrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for president. I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic. I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me.

Whatever issue may come before me as president — on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject — I will make my decision in accordance with these views, in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressures or dictates. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise.

But if the time should ever come — and I do not concede any conflict to be even remotely possible — when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do the same.

But I do not intend to apologize for these views to my critics of either Catholic or Protestant faith, nor do I intend to disavow either my views or my church in order to win this election.

If I should lose on the real issues, I shall return to my seat in the Senate, satisfied that I had tried my best and was fairly judged. But if this election is decided on the basis that 40 million Americans lost their chance of being president on the day they were baptized, then it is the whole nation that will be the loser — in the eyes of Catholics and non-Catholics around the world, in the eyes of history, and in the eyes of our own people.

But if, on the other hand, I should win the election, then I shall devote every effort of mind and spirit to fulfilling the oath of the presidency — practically identical, I might add, to the oath I have taken for 14 years in the Congress. For without reservation, I can "solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution, so help me God.

Back