T70 Spider Rep Thoughts.....

great choice Paul, good luck. i can remember picking my chassis up and the first parts of the kit, its a bit overwhelming at first looking at the bits n bobs but great once you are underway.

ask Andy for any updated build pics they have as the set i was supplied were a little out of date and they have changed quite a few items that you need to know of. nothing major but will save you some work and head scratching.
if you need any pics/help by all means ask, if you pm or email i could mail you some of my build pics if it helps, but its fairly straightforward if you arent rushing at it.
i took a slightly easier route and let GD pre fit my bodywork when i got to the rolling chassis stage, and took the car back at that point, as that assured me the perfect panel fits and gaps they get on their turnkey cars. you still have loads of bodywork to do in terms of lights/heatshielding/trim etc but i felt it was money well spent as the car now looks superb in terms of bodywork and fit.
anyway build up a large supply of tools/rivets/rivnuts/tie wraps/fixings etc in the meantime and enjoy!

what are you doing in terms of engine/box and ignition/fuelling?
regards
chris

Chris,

Many thanks for that. I would love to get my mitts on your build phots and any other tips you have. I'll drop you a PM with my address etc. I'm not taking delivery until Christmas time-ish as I have too much on between now and then (mainly the end of a race season and then car re-prep for the next race season) but I am trying to use any spare minutes to research etc.....

Any top tips would be really useful, particularly with regards to SVA/IVA issues although it sounds like Andy has them well gripped. Any crocodiles I should watch out for during the build?

I think I have the most recent build phots. To be honest the only thing that is a little disappointing is the 'build manual' which isn't great. However, it could be that it all becomes very obvious when I have the chassis etc in front of me in which case I'll take that back!

My only concern is the completeness of Andy's spreadsheet of build items. I am already starting to spot little odds and sods that aren't covered on his spreadsheet and I just hope I'm not going to find anything expensive missing which isn't, therefore, budgeted for. I'm sure I won't. Again, it will probably be all clear when I have the chassis in front of me! :)

Engine wise all I know at the mo is that I'll be using an LS. It will be a couple of years before I need to buy the lump and exchange rates and developments may have radically changed by then, so I'll decide on the spec at the time. I do know I'll be going dry sump though as this car will end up on the track from time to time. If I were buying now I'd go for the 535hp version of the LS3.

Gearbox wise I'll be going for a G50/52 probably. I like a rod change and they seem fairly plentiful and ok for road use. If you hear of any coming up at a good price, please let me know! I am undecided on the Porsche LSD vs Quaife ATB issue. I run an ATB in my race car and like its characteristics. I guess I'll see what I can turn up.

Induction wise I am again undecided. I'm having the 'other' style roll bar - single hoop with rear stays to make the setup more track friendly and to provide helmet clearance. That means I must have a hole in the engine cover for the rear stays to run through. So, purely for aesthetics, I need something sticking out from the top of the engine! I quite like the Holley-looking single, large throttle body unit that is in one of the cars that Andy looks after. It looks like a big Holley but allows the use of standard injection and appropriate fuelling etc. It just replaces the intake manifold. If I were buying now, I'd go for that.

For engine management, I'll probably go for the set up that Andy has developed to keep it simple - it is known to work well on the car.

Out of interest, did you buy all parts from Andy or did you source alternative suppliers for the more generic items such as lights etc....?

Cheers!

Paul

Chris,

Many thanks for that. I would love to get my mitts on your build phots and any other tips you have. I'll drop you a PM with my address etc. I'm not taking delivery until Christmas time-ish as I have too much on between now and then (mainly the end of a race season and then car re-prep for the next race season) but I am trying to use any spare minutes to research etc.....

Any top tips would be really useful, particularly with regards to SVA/IVA issues although it sounds like Andy has them well gripped. Any crocodiles I should watch out for during the build?

I think I have the most recent build phots. To be honest the only thing that is a little disappointing is the 'build manual' which isn't great. However, it could be that it all becomes very obvious when I have the chassis etc in front of me in which case I'll take that back!

My only concern is the completeness of Andy's spreadsheet of build items. I am already starting to spot little odds and sods that aren't covered on his spreadsheet and I just hope I'm not going to find anything expensive missing which isn't, therefore, budgeted for. I'm sure I won't. Again, it will probably be all clear when I have the chassis in front of me! :)

Engine wise all I know at the mo is that I'll be using an LS. It will be a couple of years before I need to buy the lump and exchange rates and developments may have radically changed by then, so I'll decide on the spec at the time. I do know I'll be going dry sump though as this car will end up on the track from time to time. If I were buying now I'd go for the 535hp version of the LS3.

Gearbox wise I'll be going for a G50/52 probably. I like a rod change and they seem fairly plentiful and ok for road use. If you hear of any coming up at a good price, please let me know! I am undecided on the Porsche LSD vs Quaife ATB issue. I run an ATB in my race car and like its characteristics. I guess I'll see what I can turn up.

Induction wise I am again undecided. I'm having the 'other' style roll bar - single hoop with rear stays to make the setup more track friendly and to provide helmet clearance. That means I must have a hole in the engine cover for the rear stays to run through. So, purely for aesthetics, I need something sticking out from the top of the engine! I quite like the Holley-looking single, large throttle body unit that is in one of the cars that Andy looks after. It looks like a big Holley but allows the use of standard injection and appropriate fuelling etc. It just replaces the intake manifold. If I were buying now, I'd go for that.

For engine management, I'll probably go for the set up that Andy has developed to keep it simple - it is known to work well on the car.

Out of interest, did you buy all parts from Andy or did you source alternative suppliers for the more generic items such as lights etc....?

Cheers!

Paul

hi Paul
good to talk to you! will sort out some pics next week. engine wise i got a great deal from weber race engines when the exchange was good (full forged LS6 for circa £1.7k+ shipping ) for a short motor. they were doing full engines at the time with ported heads and cams at about £3.5k +shipping. mine makes about 480bhp i guess. more than enough for me at the mo. 500bhp and reliable is plenty for most people.

gearbox- i have the rod change G50 with a quaife diff i fitted myself, wasnt too difficult. seems to drive well and is reasonably controlled out of bends with lock on and throttle control (some at least! ) :)

i did source some bits and bobs from elsewhere and andy doesnt have a problem with you doing that, but it was mainly trim related/lagging/heat shield/cut out switches type stuff plus other fixtures and fittings, steering wheel/boss etc etc that are needed. one thing i did look elsewhere for was the inlet/ecu etc etc and i went carb/msd so i could do it all myself and not have to rely on efi/mapping etc. but the majority of "biggger" bits (ie seats/light covers)are almost GD unique and so its easier to get them from andy to save time and hassle. if you have a long build time and no rush i've no doubt you could do a lot more sourcing yourself if you needed.
i was on very good terms with "kit car builder" suppliers etc for many months and demon tweeks (expensive) got well used as did numerous suppliers of braided hose fittings etc etc.
my inlet manifold/carb/msd box and ignitor packs only cost circa £1k all in and work well enough for track/sprints and general driving but may not suit sva compliance.

dry sump- i almost went wet sump and then was advised to spend the extra and dry sump it with mine being mainly track used/sprints. this is a fair expense when you factor in 2 oil coolers and hoses/fittings (which were anodised), i guess i spent £2.5k on the dry sump and fittings etc.

throttle bodies/trumpets- i think webcon do a system for the ls engines now, kinsler is pretty expensive £5k or so but its a big budget step if you go that route. i ended up with a big 4 barrel carb and large oval billet alloy filter box which looks good but isnt 100% authentic in terms of trumpets!

other budget costs which i hadnt allowed for were plumbed in extinguisher etc and originally i thought about sourcing alloys from elsewhere but it proved to be loads of hassle to get anything like a split rim look i wanted so ended up with "knock on" replicas from Image via andy. i need a second set now for wet weather tyres as 888s are useless in wet weather!

hope this helps
regards

Chris,

Many thanks for showing me round your car at the weekend - it was very useful.

Hope the clutch gets better soon.

Regards.

Paul

hi Paul
gearbox is out and the clutch plates are all shot, so a new clutch is to be ordered today. i may well be out again in late sept or october on track, will let you know dates, one of the other GDT70 owners may be there as well on track if you fancy a ride. will try and sort some pics out on a disc this weekend for you
regards
chris

Chris,

Good luck with the clutch job - glad to see that there is nothing more serious wrong. Many thanks regarding the photos and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cheers.

Paul

Well, the parts collection has started. Just bought a confirmed good and working (with warrenty) 930 gearbox for £1100, which seems like a good deal to me. Should do the job nicely. :)

thats a bargain if its all ok, you are underway then! :)
steve smith (GD t70 owner) is at silverstone trackday on the 13th and i might be joining him on that one, will let you know incase you fancy a second attempt at a ride around! mine is all rebuilt and ready to go with a ceremetallic super clutch now fitted.
glad you got the pics ok, some will be doubled up of my own pics as my friend took a load of his own as he helped me build mine

Chris,

Many thanks. I haven't actually received the photos yet though. Probably caught up in the post strike if you sent them recently.

As to being underway..... well, I'll have a gearbox tomorrow so I suppose that qualifies as underway. :)

I know that there are guys out there with 930s mated to LSs.... I just need to find one so I can find out what bits I need as I think they are almost, but not exactly, the same as those required for a G50. For some reason the forum search doesn't seem to like me. Back to trawling the Transaxle section again - there is sooooo much in fo on here it is amazing/faulous.

Cheers.

Paul

yes i sent 2 discs down last week, let me know if they dont turn up. i've got a spare hydraulic clutch release unit and bearing (brand new) which i am just about to send back to GD as unused, its a GM (Saab) part if you need the number let me know. its very compact and i know andy had probs finding anything small enought to work with the clutch/flywheel set up used and the g50 boxes.
i've now gone for a ceremetallic super clutch 7 1/4" triple plate which wasnt cheap but should handle the job ok.

Back