T70 Spyder Track Day Outing #2 Completed

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Excellent observations Randy.

Jeff G., our setup guy, pretty quickly figured out we didn't have enough rear brake bias in the car when I reported it would not trail brake (it'd try to snap spin). We got that closer this session (on the vid) and I could finally do it (trail brake). We gave up some braking performance though, but overall worth it and still not dialed in completely.

It does oversteer under hard throttle with steering input. We are working on that, may even have too much camber in the rear still.

No push on corner entry -- it turns in sharp and takes steering input well. Front end is "right" on entry and exit.

Even in econo mode the thing accelerates like the Enterprise going to light speed. The universe goes all mooshy and stuff. So fast it distorts time and space on the longer straights.

Good fun, look forward to getting in some track days of my own someday.

Ron Earp

Admin
It does oversteer under hard throttle with steering input. We are working on that, may even have too much camber in the rear still.

No push on corner entry -- it turns in sharp and takes steering input well. Front end is "right" on entry and exit.

The rear grip is good, especially given that we're feeding through a 275 series tire. Chris you might have to get a lot more tire (or just use slicks) as you'll have almost twice the hp from that LS motor. Tire temps showed we might have a tad too much camber in the rear, but it'd only be a very slight amount. The readings and wear were almost spot on but could be slightly improved.

I like the corner entry. I think the steering is precise and the nose stays on target with application of power, to a point. I have to admit I got a bit overconfident with the corner exit rear grip on two occasions because it did seem to be sticking so well. I hope the Trackmate collected properly, I'll try and pull some data.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
In regards to two "anoyomous" questions via the forum's "Contact Us" feature:

Engine - the engine is a standard 302, 4bbl carb, Edelbrock Performer heads (not so good in my opinion but not bad either), Edelbrock air gap intake, 10.4:1 compression, hydraulic roller, Ford alphabet cam. Probably around 215-225hp.

Lubrication - Wet. Canton road race pan, 8 quarts capacity. No loss of oil pressure in any turn on the track, steady 40 psi throughout both track days. Oil pressure is measured at the side of the block, oil temperature is measured via the oil return to the block. Oil temps were right at 240-250 degrees, which I'd like to see a bit lower.

Ron Earp

Admin
Got a few more pictures from Jon Felton at Get Fast Photography. Good stuff, of course I am biased!

exitoakside.jpg

lookwhoisoutfront.jpg

nascarclose.jpg

nascarclose2.jpg

oakexit.jpg

sideaoakexit2.jpg

sideoakjohnny.jpg

sideoakstand.jpg

t34.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Or they are about to lap Ron Wouldn't be able to catch Jeff...... :)

Hey now, first off that is Jeff in the car there, and Tmate data shows I ran the basically times as Jeff for the day. Maybe I had better tires in the AM! The yellow Ferrari is a full on team SpeedWorld Challenge car and it was fast. It holds the lap record on the North Course there for its type of car (not sure if that just means Ferrari car, class of one). One of the guys that drove it was very quick. Car has some serious straight line speed.

This in car video of the Ferrari was posted on another site, 1:58 times, damn fast!

<object height="315" width="500">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KHS92ZNNOdw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="500"></object>

Ron Earp

Admin
I think the Driveshaft Shop does some very nice work and I'm certain they will stand behind their product.
I didn't mean to rattle anyones cage re: the angles - however - good CV boots don't fail unless they were subject to conditions well outside their normal operating range

Called and spoke to Frank as Fran recommended. Talk to him a bit, Frank asked some questions and figured it out.

On my axle shafts the boots were a bunched up. So, he thinks that with the high speed running they essentially wore themselves and opened up a hole. He's going to take them back in and rebuild them for track use free of charge and doesn't think that I'll have any problems with them again.

Tip for guys running them is to inspect your boots at ride height. If they are bunched up on the top, i.e. touching, and splayed open on the bottom, then undo the small end boot retainer and slide it up the shaft thus opening up the bellows on the boot so they won't touch each other.

Nice guys down there. Knowledgeable and helpful.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Hmmm...but we didn't get TM data for the afternoon right? I thought the car was significantly faster second session (of mine) out.

One guy driving that car was blinding fast. The secodn guy was slower than an ITC Fiesta, and dangerous. You never knew what you were dealing with when that car came out of pit road.

Hey now, first off that is Jeff in the car there, and Tmate data shows I ran the basically times as Jeff for the day. Maybe I had better tires in the AM! The yellow Ferrari is a full on team SpeedWorld Challenge car and it was fast. It holds the lap record on the North Course there for its type of car (not sure if that just means Ferrari car, class of one). One of the guys that drove it was very quick. Car has some serious straight line speed.

This in car video of the Ferrari was posted on another site, 1:58 times, damn fast!

<object height="315" width="500">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KHS92ZNNOdw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="500"></object>

Ron Earp

Admin
Hmmm...but we didn't get TM data for the afternoon right? I thought the car was significantly faster second session (of mine) out.

Car went pretty fast at start of first session. Although little compression/rebound and lots of lean, it was able to go pretty quick. Then it got slower with adjustments. Second session it was slower still as things were fiddled with and you didn't like it. Third session still you and car was fastest of all.

Back