Thrown a Piston - no really!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
.. or your life....years ago when I was working in Norfolk, VA, I spent some time at Norshipco, which is one of the marine refit yards there. They seem to specialize in medium size commercial vessels, although I have seen them haul passenger liners etc in their floating drydocks. Anyway, they had pistons in their machine shop they were reconditioning which were from marine diesels which run on bunker oil. The pistons were three feet across, made of aluminum, and the recon process consisted of building the piston up with welded metal and then remachining it in a huge lathe. The ring lands were easily an inch square. They also had a lathe that they used for turning propeller shafts- the lathe drum was five feet across and the process of turning a prop shaft for a medium size ship took about a week or two. I can't imagine engines on that scale.

Ive got a picture of a con rod from a large slow speed 2 stroke diesel engine that is literally bent in half...... I'll post it when I find it ;)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Here is a 15 Liter Cummins ISX engine that tossed a rod at around 1400 rpm. Nothing that $22,000 won't fix....

The pan was torn in half and all of the bolt ons (Alternator, compressor, etc. were broken off the block.) Now a nice boat anchor!

Attachments

• isxd.jpg
    isxd.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 399
  • isxa.jpg
    isxa.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 410
  • isxb.jpg
    isxb.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 333
  • isxc.jpg
    isxc.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 348

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
15 liter !, What was that from? Over the road truck, boat, or.........?

Class 8 OTR tractor with a gross combo weight of 80,000 lbs. Most tractors are either 13 liter or 15 liter with torque ratings between 1550 and 2050. The 600 HP/1950-2050 engines are the "hot rods" of the trucking industry. Of course as HP/Torque goes up, so does heat generation and fuel economy goes down. Most fleets will KILL for a tenth of an MPG as it really adds up. Also more and more "automated manual" transmissions are being used. The automated has the ECU and transmission computer controling the clutch and shifting. It tends to equalize drivers making your less skilled guys perform more like your best. The automateds come in two flavors, with a clutch which is used only for starting and full automated with a "two pedal" system that drives just like an automatic. they have control pads that allow manual shifting via butttons but generally you just hit "D" and go.

Here tis....
Believed to be from a Sulzer RTflex engine. 10ish cylinders, 980mm bore 3500mm stroke 100rpm. Hydraulic lock was the root, water jacket split. Bet they even heard that bang on the bridge!!!

bentrod.jpg

Back