Tornado Ford 302 + Renault UN1 Transmission - very high clutch pedal power

Hi,
we have drived the first kilometers with our GT40. Now we have the problem, that you need a very high power for the clutch pedal. We have a hydraulic system with the original Renault 21 slave cylinder by the transpission. Have somebody an idea?
Thanks Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
Sounds like you need to play with the sizes of master and slave cylinders or as Roy Smart did for his car was to fit a servo to the clutch system.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I had the same issue. Tried lots of master cylinders. The set up now is a sleeved down slave cylinder (from Chris Cole). and a 3/4" master cylinder, This gave the correct amount of movement to release the clutch with a fairly heavy but bearable leg push. I replaced the pin on the Renault clutch arm with an ht bolt and made up a custom pushrod from an old bolt. To get a very small amount of free play I used washers on the slave cylinder bolts to keep the minimum slack in the system. The bolts holding the master cylinder are an odd size 7mm. They are available if needed. I use an AP clutch from Mick Sollis as the best Renault one was only 280 ft.lbs. I had the flywheel drilled and tapped for the AP clutch. I also use a stronger release bearing carrier and release bearing from Chris Cole.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
on the Lamborghini Miura (I dont know if it was really original) the owner told me that the clutch was assisted by vacuum with one of this Lucas in line vacuum boosters
Paul

Back