Transaxle strength

Tim,

We were both thinking the same thing, I was updating the post to include the fact that the stacks were being cut down and you were commenting on how long they are. Sort of funny.

Richard,
I can tell you're one to think ouside the box....Way outside the box.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Tim,

We invert the Porsches sometimes too. There are a couple ways to deal with the 5 spd in reverse issue: If the case will allow it, flip the ring gear to other side of the pinion OR flip the whole transaxle upside down. You have to make the drain the vent and vice versa. You have to establish the proper oil level. Some put a new fill hole at the intersection of the exterior webbing. I just made a dip stick and use the existing fill hole (I'm not putting holes in the case unless its for a sprayer system :). The biggest downside (at least on the Porsche trannies) is that the main input shaft is now at or below the oil level and any wear on the shaft seal is going to mean a leak. It is what it is and you deal with it. Inverted Porsches have been used for years and continue to be with out major hassel. There is a third alternative that used to be used a long time ago: reverse the rotation of the engine and run the gears backwards. I guess there is an argument for straight cut gear afterall :) Just some friendly ribbing there Richard!

Richard, you certainly have the business there; absolutely gorgeous! Can you say "buy rubber company stocks!" Seriously powered RF you've got there! I have had the pleasure of visiting the Kinsler shop and they do have some gorgeous stuff. Are those intake manifolds the 2 lb magnesium jobs they showed to me? When the young Kinsler handed it to me, I almost threw it over my shoulder thinking it was going to weigh much more than it did. They are the premier injection guys in my book.

Are you going to race in NASA with it?? That brings up a major bitch in my book and fodder for another thread: You put that much blood, sweat and tears, not to mention, money, in a car like that and where can you race it or even run it to its potential? To my knowledge, NASA is the only alternative to just attending track days with Car Guys or some marque club or another?

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn,

I plan on racing in NASA and some specialty events. Things like run-n-gun would be real fun in the car. As for taking the car to the limits, well lets say I saw a video on the speed channel of a 917 going around a track and I don't think I have that big of ones. This was just a short segment on the legends series when they were doing Porsch and the car was at the brink of out of control almost the whole time. After time I might develop the skill and the guts to make it really fly.

Okay, ..... If the Quaife sequential 6-speed is SO good, where the heck can I get one? And how many fingers, toes, arms or legs will it cost me? In U.S. $ of course.
Mark markmccandlish @c-zone.net

Resurecting this very good thread to post a couple tidbits of information. I measured (as best I could, my calipers weren't big enough to do it right) the distance between the shafts on an 01E transaxle as well as the ring gear diameter. The ring gear measures approximately 186 mm (7.31") and the distance between shaft centers is approximately 76 mm (3.0"). Now compare that with the published specs on the Ricardo transaxle being used in the Ford GT: ring gear diameter 250 mm and shaft center distance of 102.6 mm. I think these two parameters are the best indicator of the torque-management capacity of a gearbox.

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't agree that these two tell the entire tale. A lot of how well the tranny will do also depends on design and bearing load surfaces, this is one of the problems with the Audi/Getrag box. The surfaces are not so large and they are supported by relatively weak castings and can distort under load.

You can have large ring gears and shaft distances but still have poor designs like multi-piece input shafts, cut down shafts, poor bearing support, overloaded bearings, and poor casting strength/integrity.

Back