Truck People - any here?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Correct "X" plan is for non-Ford employees and is around invoice (can be just over or just under depending upon the model) It is a good deal and is a No-Haggle price. Dealers are not allowed to give any additional discount or any extra "frrebees" on X, A or Z. And the GT is not available on X!!!! I can get X plan price for gt40SW.COM members who wish to buy here in lovely Western New York!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dealers are not allowed to give any additional discount or any extra "frrebees" on X, A or Z.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this would mean that either: (1) my guys are in trouble, (2) they gave me the price without actually using the X plan (even though they took my PIN #), or (3) it never happened?

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Just have to weigh in on this one.
I have a 2004 Ford Lightning and love it. Great (and fast) everyday driver and it tows my race car in a 20' enclosed trailer with ease.
My brother liked it so much that he bought my 2002 and I got Ford employee discount at a dealer in Cincinnati with any hassle on my new one. MSRP on the 04 was just over 34,000 and I got it for 28,800.
Not sure there is any other truck that can combine speed, handling, decent gas mileage, and just pure good looks like the Ford, but then it's just my two cents worth.

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright, that might just do it. I'll drive one Thursday and see if I still like them. Thing is, as a daily driver I'd be very tempted to put a KB blower on it, redo the heads and cams, exhaust, and maybe even adapt a T56 to it and take it to the track. I've seen these things with my own two eyes run 11.6s at over 118mph using the stock 4 speed, chip, intake, pullies for more boost, more fuel, and exhaust mods. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... Rick, I'll call you!!!!

Ron

PS-With slicks, before anyone gets excited. And, you need to see a 4600lb truck lift the front wheels, definitely cool.

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Need to add a clarification to my last post. I am not a Ford employee, didn't get any plans from friends who are, just walked in off the street and got a great deal on a much sought after, low production truck.
And I have driven Chevies all my life, but this Lightning won me over.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dealers are not allowed to give any additional discount or any extra "frrebees" on X, A or Z.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this would mean that either: (1) my guys are in trouble, (2) they gave me the price without actually using the X plan (even though they took my PIN #), or (3) it never happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it was the rules.......I didn't say it never happens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Officially both the buyer and the seller can lose their rights to buy and sell under plans if they violate the rules. It is a shame that it gets abused becuase it is a grat opportunity for both.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Officially both the buyer and the seller can lose their rights to buy and sell under plans if they violate the rules. It is a shame that it gets abused becuase it is a grat opportunity for both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, FWIW, they were the ones making the offer. I went in not to buy but to ask when the '05s would be coming in and asked who their X plan person was. Wanted to find out if I could order one to my specs or whatever. I thought the PIN I got was only good for a 2005 vehicle. Well, they handed me off to a salesman who said oh, sure, that's good for an '04 and what if we could sell it to you for less than the X plan price - the old "what would it take to get you to buy this car today" kind of deal. Then he started saying it's an extra $1000 off if you buy it today and... So I'm not sure exactly how they're accounting for it.

Ron Earp

Admin
Are X Plans only good on new cars?

I prefer used cars, but, of course if an X Plan got the price of a new one down to the price of a year old car, then great!

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Letter purchase plans are only for new vehicles, on used it's anybodys game.....

Ron if you want examples let me know and I can email you invoices to look at

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I used to have an F150 with the third door. As the kids got bigger, I swapped over to the F250 with the four doors, (I think it's called Super Cab or Super Crew, something like that.) Great for the wife and kids, plus a couple of friends. Lots of stace, goes like a demon, love my truck. With a six foot bed it's big, but not too big.

The only problem I've ever had is in not running the 4x4 enough. I've had to replace the front hubs once, and may have to do it again. As you said, too much highway and not enough off-road - doesn't make 4x4 happy. But when you want, it can't be beat. Does turn like a pig with it engaged.

I know I'll catch hell for this one, but how can you guys buy Japanese pickups? It's just not right!

Ron Earp

Admin
I drove one of the lightnings again and it was quite nice. Lower than a normal truck, not too low, and doesn't drive much like a truck. I dig it. Bed is fine, space in the cab is fine. No, it isn't 4x4 but I don't need that in NC I don't think. The couple of times it snows I can stay home.

Mark, what do you reckon could be done on a new Lightning?

Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

A lightning is only available from and SVT dealer (or via a trade with an SVT dealer) I can get you one. Understand that production is odne so only stock on hand until the 2006 model. If you want I can locate and quote one for you.
Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for all the help with this. Rick Merz hooked me up with some special pricing and I'm the proud owner of a new Lightning for a fantastic price - as Rick said, friends don't let friends drive Chevys. I'll post a pic or two smokin'em down at the strip. I've seen these things hit 13.2s out of the box and low 12s with some pulley swaps, additional fuel, and chip. Easy 11s if you want to do some additional work.

Wonder if we can take one of these to Brighton? Automatic tranny so you just wank on the gas and go! 4600lbs truck in the 11s is a sight to see! Back to work, off lunch now.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It's what your right foot is for....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Those times in a truck would open a few eyes in Brighton next year !!

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright, I've been ripping around in this thing and using the G Tech Pro meter, which is usually within 0.2s track times, this truck is hitting 13.5s on street tires at 104 mph. Stock, just driven off the lot yesterday. Meter 0-60 was in 5.3 and it feels like it. I bet with some slicks it'd be low 13s stock, with no changes, as there is a good amount of wheelspin when the flat the pedal.

I'll take it to the strip next week and get some real track numbers but this thing is a hell of a truck. Julie says it is the best car I've bought in 10 years - she likes driving it, riding it in, and best of all, it carries house stuff with no problem! Took it out today with my buddy Ed driving my M3 and this thing pulls the M3 hard. Sure, no comparison in handling (truck isn't bad at all!) but it flat out drops the M3 like a bad habit.

Yes, I'll do some stuff to it too, like up the boost, and see what happens. All I can say us highly recommended and it is a Ford!!! As Rick said, friends don't let friends drive Nissans - thanks Rick!

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Anytime Ron. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif (What Ron looks like sitting at a light getting ready to spank some poor unsuspecting soul.)

[ QUOTE ]
I have nothing but good to say about my Toyota 4Runner (except maybe the 286 ft lbs of torque on the balancer/main pulley bolt.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you used your 4Runner for towing? I'm now considering it (or a Tundra) with either the V6 (4.0l) or the V8 (4.7l). I need something that can easily tow 3,500lbs and occasionally tow 5,000lbs.

Back