UK Election. Results for the PR Moaners..

Keith

Firstly I would like to congratulate all members of GT40's.com who have been directly affected by the UK elections. (i.e. The Voters).

Once again, we have seen a relatively calm and respectful lead up to election day and not a cross word exchanged on these pages, in sharp contrast to some of the dogmatic political vitriol that has been sprayed across this forum in the past 2 or 3 years, now thankfully in decline.

As for the result we have the usual crop of moaners (losers) saying that we need to adopt PR in our election system in order to ensure fair representation.

When applied to the actual election, PR would have produced the following interesting results: the biggest winners would have been UKIP, Lib/Dems & Greens losers: SNP & (ironically) Labour.

Conservatives would still have been the largest party albeit with a reduced majority and the end result would have been all kinds of behind the scenes alliances between diametrically opposed political philosophies, of the kind normally seen in Italy & Greece. Doesn't work..

Anyway, a fair result. The Country has spoken...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Conservatives would still have been the largest party albeit with a reduced majority and the end result would have been all kinds of behind the scenes alliances between diametrically opposed political philosophies, of the kind normally seen in Italy & Greece. Doesn't work...

If you Brits could manage that, you'd be waaaay better than we here in the U.S.

It was always my contention that if we had different parties in "control" of various houses of parliament that they would have to do just that...work together to get something done...even though it wasn't successful in those countries you mentioned, at least they tried.

Here in the U.S., though, our political parties showed that they had no intentions of trying to make things better for their constituents, they were only worried about keeping the other parties from exercising any control and that just led to gridlock.

Regarding the "tone" of the electorate...I think that's why we here in the U.S. have become more vitriolic...we have given up hope that our political system will ever be "fixed" so that the pols will focus on what is best for our citizens rather than what is best for their political party. That breeds comtempt and I think that contempt for our broken political system can easily spill over into the rhetoric we used (and, probably, will continue to use whenever things get heated).

I do admire the way the Brittish are much more cordial to each other than we Americans are...it is a favorable reflection on your history and the way your citizens view the inevitable changes that will occur over time. Kudos to you!!!

Cheers!

Doug

Keith

Don't get me wrong, but there are quite few (thankfully a minority) of Grashoppers here ready to build barricades. A quite disturbing trend in emerging democracies is that of violently challenging the result of a fair election. Whilst not that evident here, there are undercurrents.

I place the blame firmly on dumbed down education..together with media hysteria and sensationalism - treating serious political process as a virtual reality show. (Viz: Your TV style debates).

I feel that there was no credible opposition in the race this time round other than the current government. We have an aging population and most of us have been through three major recessions. The spend your way to popularity and rob the rich to give to the poor just never cut it this time as the opposition found out. So business as usual this side of the pond for a while:thumbsup:

Bob

Keith

I feel that there was no credible opposition in the race this time round other than the current government. We have an aging population and most of us have been through three major recessions. The spend your way to popularity and rob the rich to give to the poor just never cut it this time as the opposition found out. So business as usual this side of the pond for a while:thumbsup:

Bob

Yes the old Robin Hood ploy just doesn't work with the cash already nicked by Brown's sleight of hand...

People ain't that dumb.....

I really dont understand Labour keeping Ed Milliband in the build up to the elections , I think he was a paid up stool pigeon for the Tory`s. The guy is just way too slimy , wetter than an Otters pocket. The biggest surprise though was that no one needed Nick Cleggs rent a vote party for a prop.

Bob

Keith

That was their 'reward' for getting into bed with Cameron. Not sure whether they'll ever recover. Lloyd George will be turning in his grave.

Pat

Supporter
From this side of the pond, I'm not sure if I would score Mr. Cameron with the win as much as I would give Mr. Miliband the loss. If reports are true, he indicated one of his positions as Prime Minister would be to make "Islamophobia"( fear of the religion of Islam or Muslims???) a serious crime to be prosecuted by the full might of the state and ensure that the offence “is marked on people’s records with the police to make sure they root out Islamophobia as a hate crime.”

That's pretty chilling given world events and I wonder how many he frightened away. Perhaps the identity politics were just a bit much. I'm also baffled as to how apparently inept the UK posters must be. Between the Scots independence vote and now the most recent election they seem to consistently get things wrong.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...I'm not sure if I would score Mr. Cameron with the win as much as I would give Mr. Miliband the loss. If reports are true, he indicated one of his positions as Prime Minister would be to make "Islamophobia"( fear of the religion of Islam or Muslims???) a SERIOUS CRIME to be prosecuted by the full might of the state...

If that's actually what Miliband said/proposed/actually BELIEVES should be the case - HE'S A TOTALLY IGNORANT, MINDLESS, CLUELESS, FAAAR, FAAAAAAAAAAR LEFT, ''P.C." MORON.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

That was their 'reward' for getting into bed with Cameron. Not sure whether they'll ever recover. Lloyd George will be turning in his grave.

I never really gave the libs much though but you are right. They could hardly rip into the opposition on the run up to the election and then be prepared to jump into bed with them. They have lost their identity but at least they can regroup and stage a comeback. They were not slacking while in coalition and did get a fair amount done.

Lib Dem conference: What have they done with power? - BBC News

Bob

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If that's actually what Miliband said/proposed/actually BELIEVES should be the case - HE'S A TOTALLY IGNORANT, MINDLESS, CLUELESS, FAAAR, FAAAAAAAAAAR LEFT, ''P.C." MORON.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Absolutely agree 100% here is one politician who gets it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 183

Keith

From this side of the pond, I'm not sure if I would score Mr. Cameron with the win as much as I would give Mr. Miliband the loss. If reports are true, he indicated one of his positions as Prime Minister would be to make "Islamophobia"( fear of the religion of Islam or Muslims???) a serious crime to be prosecuted by the full might of the state and ensure that the offence “is marked on people’s records with the police to make sure they root out Islamophobia as a hate crime.”

That's pretty chilling given world events and I wonder how many he frightened away. Perhaps the identity politics were just a bit much. I'm also baffled as to how apparently inept the UK posters must be. Between the Scots independence vote and now the most recent election they seem to consistently get things wrong.

I'm fairly confident he never actually said that, or if he did, it wasn't reported here. Unsure of your comment about Cameron winning though. He did, clearly and with an overall majority (albeit small).

I take it you meant "pollsters" as opposed to posters (or was that Freudian)in your second para. Yes, they did slip up a bit, however some of the commissioners of the polls had a decided list to port..

Keith

Sorry Pat, read it again and I see where you're coming from. In fairness to Cameron, the Cons share of the vote did increase in certain areas and they made significant gains from labour. Such is the nature of the beast, I do not believe that the Cons gained any "protest" votes from any other party. It usually works the other way around, so I would say Cons won this fair and square.

However, their campaign was, at best, lacklustre, Cameron apparently believing his 5 year record on the economy was enough. A gamble perhaps, but it appears to have paid off despite the "cuts" everyone moans about.

We will still not see a typical Conservative term as his overall majority is slender and the SNP will be itching to get concessions. It will be interesting to see how this will work in practice when the subject of the EU comes up as Cameron has a few "Eurosceceptics" in his own party and it will take a concerted effort on behalf of ALL opposition parties plus a few of his own MP's defying the Whip to defeat the Govt. Ironically, it may be Northern Ireland's 8 D.U.P. seats that might save him... (at a cost, of course!)

(Edit) Quite a few local elections were also held in tandem. Cons made considerable gains there too, so, against the odds, a fairly telling result.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Some fair points there Keith May I add a couple more to the equation?

1) People can see the economy now and remember what it was like 5 yeas back after labour had been in for 3 terms. Sure the cuts have not been liked but the country is moving forward as opposed to the dire state at the demise of Brown & Co
2) Red Rubberband lost it for labour. This happened when he tried to but the blame for the lost lives in the Miditerranean with the sinking boats. Trying to blame Cameroun for the current war in Lybia and the human trafficing going on in that country.

The fact that he is a communist / solialist and has that thinkiing probably didn't help either

All IMO

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Oh and the SMP

I think they should walk down to London like the Proclaaimers "I will walk 500 Miles"

At least then they will realise how far from reality they actually are!

Off course their leader should also not be welcomed as she is not an elected MP of the UK House of Comons

Keith

It was interesting to see messers Sturgeon and Salmand squirm when Cameron immediately went on the "devolution" offensive. Seeing as how The Fishy One nailed her campaign flag to the anti-austerity mast, they haven't yet explained to the electorate in Scotland, just where the money would be coming from to fund these great freebie offers in a fully devolved Scotland. But we know, don't we? :laugh:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Just can't shift it from my mind....
Something about Nicola Sturgeon reminds me of a choirboy...
Is it her haircut.... ?
Anyway, brrrrrrrr ( shaking my head violently ) too nasty
an image...and i'm half Scottish..

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Islam a religion of peace? I'll get back to you on that one, but for now, chew on this....

Any religion that has to keep proclaiming it's a religion of peace is either:

1) acting in a distinctly unpeaceful way or
2) having a major public relations problem.

When was the last time you heard anyone defending Judaism or Christianity, telling everyone they are peaceful religions?

Of course not. They don't have to.

Back