Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Or, did you mean like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 20823-2 Bentleys.JPG
    20823-2 Bentleys.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 489
Performance aside, I think both cars are exquisite. The GT40 is an extraordinary car with its roots rich in racing history. The Ultima GTR targets a whole different segment of car enthusiasts - people who want a McClaren F1 type car at an affordable price.

As to which one is better, that's subjective.

I saw a 1969 Lola T-70 that had been beautifuuly restored at a local car show recently. I wish someone would make a replica of that car.

Bill

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I was also looking at the Ultima when I was deciding on which car to build. The GT40 won hands down because it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made! BTW my GT40 can run 11.6's all day long. Just to see how well the rear end would hold up (with the new CV joints and axles), I made 11 runs down the 1/4 mile in the same day. Best run was at 11.472 sec. worst was at 12.274 sec. (with a reaction time of 1.073 sec. (fell asleep at the wheel). I don't really like drag racing but I was curious how fast my car was and if the rear end components would hold up. 1st and 2nd gear are low so 0 to 60 is about 4 sec even (according to my G-Tech gauge).

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Rick, I like the description of your car's colour, in your sig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bill

Not to go off-subject (again) but Derek Bell purchased
the tooling for the GTD made T-70 coupe and offers kits.
Marauder used to...but apparently has disappeared forever.
Mac Maclendom makes authentic monocoque Lola's ($$$) but
told me he intended to do a space frame eventually(?).
And of course Andre40 is also planning a Lola mono.

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
OK, what if Michael Jordan, in an Ultima GTR, raced Christy Brinkly (with one eye closed) in a GT replica? Who would win then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, MJ would obviously win - but I'd much rather be seen
with CB and the 40 (either or works just as well!!)

[ QUOTE ]

Rick, I like the description of your car's colour, in your sig.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you search the forum for a post made by me about Rick's
car, you'll get a bigger smile!

Ian

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]

If you search the forum for a post made by me about Rick's
car, you'll get a bigger smile!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't find it, give us a clue.

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
That was one of the nicer officers that have pulled me over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Attachments

• 20895-GT40-03.jpg
    20895-GT40-03.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 548
The post number is 2459, subject Police Stories.

Rick, feel free to make any corrections/elaborations.

Ian

I agree with JP. THe Ultimas are very well engineered & seem to be under constant development. However the styling is somewhat awkward.

Imagine an ultima chassis with a GT40 body!

Having Built both a GT40 and a GTR, i can say both cars stir the emotion, and both draw crowds and Praise. I love them both, and in my ultimate Garage I would have a GT40, but would build my own version of a Modern Day GTR. As the GTR has not had any development since the 90's... The Chassis has the same spec's and no development since Lee Noble left it.
A GT40 will always be good but would look wrong being to modern, where as the GTR would have to keep up with the times and as far as I'm concerned has been left behind compared to RCR Replica's production techniques....

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Currently owning a GT40 replica and an Ultima CanAm they are both very different cars in styling, performance and era, but both equally invoke a smile from ear to ear each time I drive them, but for very different reasons. The GT40 instills Nostalgia and a certain raw crasness, it's load obnoxious and I feel like an arrogant teenager again. The Ultima has more modern lines, but not too sharp, then there's the shear power and handling, that evokes the mid life crisis feeling, made it this far but no F-car for me.

Being primarily a Ford guy (and still a teenager at heart) at the end of the day if I had to sell one it would probably be easier to let the Ultima go.

I had alway - from being a teenager - wanted a GT 40 . But racing a Chevy 1957 agains the fords of that time and Being a "Chevy Guy" directed me to purchase a ULTIMA GTR. Much more confortable building small blocks motors then fords. As for look I think both cars are great lookers. I think the Ultima may be a bit quicker, but both cars are fast. Big horsepower and light car are. I look at the Ultima as a poor mans Super Car and it is

I would imagine one of the superformance gt40s with the roush 427 should be able to break 12 seconds pretty handily with some quick shifting and not too much concern for the ZF....

Guys,

It's all about tactics. Line up your 450hp GT40 next to your 450hp GTR and while the girls in the Bikini do the pre-race parade in front of the drivers, have your pit crew crawl up and release 10psi out of one of the GTR's rear tyres.

Then proceed to open up a solid lead on lap one and while the GTR is in the pits getting a tyre change.

Then proceed to drive like Jacky Ickx so that the GTR driver has to push extra hard to regain lost time, hopefully stuffing him/herself into a gravel trap in the process.

While they spend the next couple hours digging their steed out of the gravel trap, you then calmly thunder around building a nice unassailable lead and then spend the next 22 hours giving them a friendly wave every time they lap you, knowing full well that they're too far behind to catch up.

You then cross the finish line knowing you've done for automotive beauty what most beautiful women do to get ahead. Cheat!

Then drive home knowing your car looks better and in 50 years will still be famous and the GTR will be a dim memory.

Cheating will also likely work for drag racing too, but as drag racing endurance cars is like delivering pizzas on a rocket, I wouldn't bother.

Back