US Army Sgt Bergdhal, thoughts?

Pat

Supporter
The current administration lists him as a POW and not as a deserter.

I don't know about that...but we do have a long set precedent of trading our enemy POWs to get back our POWs from them.

... then, we know about those "some" and their radical anti-B.O. viewpoints.

Cheers!

Doug

Doug, what would your Dad have thought about a deal in relevant terms of trading Hermann Göring, Heinrich Himmler, Rudolph Hess, Josef Goebbels and Adolf Eichmann for Eddie Slovik, even if they could live in Austria for a year "under close supervision?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
My dad was shot down three times, twice behind enemy lines and captured once...he escaped. He would have thought that ANY effort to gain the release of our captured troops was a good idea.

Cheers!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Regarding the parties you mentioned...back in the days of WWII we just bombed huge areas and took whatever kills we got. These days we have the ability to identify individual enemy combatants and specifically target them, ala Osama Bin Laden. I sincerely doubt those individuals who were released to gain the release of our "POW" (placed in quotes because I am not yet convinced he was such) can relax and expect any high degree of safety.

Cheers!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
If Berghdal turns out to be a deserter and enemy sympathizer I hope he spends the rest of his life behind bars and subjected to hard labor.

Cheers!

Doug

Pat

Supporter
My dad was shot down three times, twice behind enemy lines and captured once...he escaped. He would have thought that ANY effort to gain the release of our captured troops was a good idea.

Cheers!

Doug

By the way Doug, the AP repots that in his five years of captivity, Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was never listed by the Pentagon as a prisoner of war. Nor has the U.S. applied that term to any of its Taliban prisoners — including the five senior Taliban figures who were released last weekend from detention at the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, in exchange for Bergdahl's freedom.

And certainly I can't dispute your contention that your Dad would have thought releasing Hermann Göring, Heinrich Himmler, Rudolph Hess, Josef Goebbels and Adolf Eichmann to temporary custody was a good idea. You certainly do have a rather interesting "personal orientation to this matter" though.

Your defense of the indefensible is pretty amazing.

I personally wouldn't have the value of your insights, (I'm the one in the middle of the picture)...

Attachments

• Pat in the desert with the 377th.jpg
    Pat in the desert with the 377th.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 165

Cheers!

Doug
You obviously didn't read Veeks post very closely. You wouldn't release Hermann Göring, Heinrich Himmler, Rudolph Hess, Josef Goebbels and Adolf Eichmann for anyone, and you would seriously weigh the loss of life in the future and confer with others as per law before releasing the five extremely dangerous Taliban leaders.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Isn't it interesting that the Obama Admin traded 5 terrorist big shots for Bergdahl (an individual whose character is currently in some doubt) and made a lot of 'happy noise' about having done it...while at the same time that same admin sits stone-silent and evidently doing nothing about getting Marine Sgt. Tahmooressi released from a Mexican jail.

(Given all the b.s. the Mexican govt has pulled of late, I'd like to see all U.S. citizens just flat-out cancel any Mexican vacation/travel plans they may already have or be planning. That would get the Mexican govt's attention with regard to the above matter faaaaaaaaaaaar quicker than whatever it is the Obama Admin currently may [or may not] be doing.)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You'll pardon my skepticism, but I think "monitoring" the five senior Taliban that they traded for Bergdahl is dead on arrival. Personally I think the Qataris couldn't monitor a cattle prod if it were shoved up their asses.

With trades like this, it's good that the current administration is not running something important, like a major league baseball team. They'd be in the cellar.

Wait a moment.....

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
You obviously didn't read Veeks post very closely.

You may be right, Al...or perhaps I just phrased my answer incorrectly. Either way, I'll give Veek's post another look after the workday is over.

Cheers!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
...Of course, some will most assuredly assume the government will engage in a conspiracy to avoid classifying him as a deserter just to avoid embarrasment...but, then, we know about those "some" and their radical anti-B.O. viewpoints.

Cheers!

Doug

Isn't it interesting that the Obama Admin traded 5 terrorist big shots for Bergdahl (an individual whose character is currently in some doubt) and made a lot of 'happy noise' about having done it...while at the same time that same admin sits stone-silent and evidently doing nothing about getting Marine Sgt. Tahmooressi released from a Mexican

Saw that one coming, Larry, didn't I? Are the circumstances the same? Admittedly I am not familiar with the case in Mexico, at least I'll admit you are consistent (and...predictable).

When B.O. Was first elected I challenged a very conservative minded friend to find one good thing to say about B.O. His answer..."he seems to be a very family oriented man."

It was obvious that his hatred for Obama's liberal views was blinding him and effecting his judgement.

My mom had a favorite saying " No man is totally worthless, they can always serve as a bad example."

I would bet that saying epitomizes your feelings about Obama.

There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see. My mother was blinded by her hatred of men in general, you seem to be blinded by your hatred of liberals in general.

Just MHO, Larry...and I remind you that there are many issues on which we agree, but blindness can be mental as well as physical.

Cheers!

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Say, 'whaaaaaaaaat'?

Your post #31 negated, debunked, discredited, shot down, invalidated, refuted anything I stated in post #27 how, exactly??? :squint:

:speechless:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
And, put troops along the border and simply shoot anyone attempting to cross illegally. Never happen!

I was going to suggest the same thing...but then I remembered that the feds mindset these days is to rush to the aid of illegals trying to cross.

I 'gotta' hit the hiking trail.

'Later...

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Say, 'whaaaaaaaaat'?

Your post #31 negated, debunked, discredited, shot down, invalidated, refuted anything I stated in post #27 how, exactly??? :squint:

:speechless:

Wasn't meant to....just saying you are predictable in your self-induced :furious: and blindness regarding the Obama administration.

IMHO the facts are not all in yet...he MAY be a deserter, we shall see, AFAIK he was not listed as a deserter, but the White House Press Secretary did state during a press conference that he had been considered a POW and therefore the administration was just following a long-standing practice of trading POWs at the end of an armed conflict, regardless of the "ratio".

Let's not be too quick to judge....there but for the grace of God and all that stuff.

Cheers!

Doug

Prisioner, yes. POW, an emphatic NO!
"End of an armed conflict" - Not nearly!
We have never declared a war in the Middle East, period!
Armed conflict, you bet.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hopefully the five Taliban leaders have an implant somewhere that will lead a smart bomb straight to them.
For what it's worth our media over here are very left wing and they are reporting that he deserted his post and have shown interviews with some of the parents of the six troops killed searching for him.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...just saying you are predictable in your self-induced :furious: and blindness regarding the Obama administration.

I'M predictable in that regard???! ME? 'I couldn't possibly hold a candle to you in that department, sir!!! 'Don't know a soul who could! :quirk:

Saw that one coming, Larry, didn't I? Are the circumstances the same? Admittedly I am not familiar with the case in Mexico, at least I'll admit you are consistent (and...predictable).

When B.O. Was first elected I challenged a very conservative minded friend to find one good thing to say about B.O. His answer..."he seems to be a very family oriented man."

It was obvious that his hatred for Obama's liberal views was blinding him and effecting his judgement.

My mom had a favorite saying " No man is totally worthless, they can always serve as a bad example."

I would bet that saying epitomizes your feelings about Obama.

There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see. My mother was blinded by her hatred of men in general, you seem to be blinded by your hatred of liberals in general.

Just MHO, Larry...and I remind you that there are many issues on which we agree, but blindness can be mental as well as physical.

Cheers!

Doug

Doug, Liberals are so quick to use "hatred, racist, bigot, etc." The majority of people that I asked why they voted for B.O. the first time, answered " the first black president, the speeches , and hope and change". They told me how they hugged and cried because they had part in voting in the first black president. The second time was more of the same along with "I want to give him a second chance", and people like Samuel L Jackson who said he voted for him 'because he is black". Somehow the 1/2 white part has disappeared. Not one of the reasons I just listed is a good reason to elect someone to the highest most powerful office in the world. If Donald Duck were president when Osama Bin Laden was found, the outcome would have been the same. There were years of searching leading up to the "Ok do it". I don't hate B.O., I just think he is extremely inept, and proves it almost daily. Off subject, sorry.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Not one of the reasons I just listed is a good reason to elect someone to the highest most powerful office in the world....I don't hate B.O., I just think he is extremely inept, and proves it almost daily. Off subject, sorry.

Need reasons? How about many of the campaign promises he made during his first run for POTUS? He kept the promise to get Bin Laden. He kept the promise to get our combat troops out of Iraq. He kept the promise to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", thereby allowing those with same-sex attractions to honor their patriotic intentions by serving in the Armed Forces...and let us not forget his campaign promise to enact universal health-care?

Notice how I did not mention whether or not I feel those promises SHOULD have been kept...Larry will probably find it surprising to hear I was NOT a fan of some of some of those leftist-oriented issues...but I feel Obama is due the credit for getting accomplished as much as he has considering the vigorous opposition the conservatives have mounted.

He may not have been the best POTUS, but he is far from the worst, IMHO...Nixon and Gee-Dub come to mind as some of the worst in recent times, not to mention that we might have gotten stuck with Romney (talk about complaints regarding the transparency of B.O.'s administration, think about how little transparency there would have been with Romney, who only grudgingly disclosed just the very minimum required in regards to his financial status, despite a long-standing practice of candidates for POTUS releasing much more than required).

Of course, those who dislike the leftist orientation of his ideals will never give him credit for what he HAS accomplished, choosing to focus instead on the issues they wish he would have supported.

They may, however, point out that he seems like a very dedicated family man when asked to see if they can say something good about him...how lame can you get?

We shall see how he handles this deserter vs POW issue...it is still too early to judge that, and particularly given the media-fueled feeding frenzy and rush to judgement.

Cheers!

Doug

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sure the Army will sort out the did he desert or not question as long as there is no interference from the C.I.C.
He was never a POW as no war was declared.

Back