valve cover designs for GT40 engines

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't recall this being discussed except for the coveted Gurney-Weslake valve covers, so here goes.

When I had the engine built for my GT40 (the build started with a 302 Mexico block, but all the internals are new) I bought a set of plain aluminum Canton valve covers and had them powdercoated with a flat black material that looks a lot like the black wrinkle finish used on old Ferraris. They seal fine and all that, but the look hasn't worn well on me; they make the engine resemble a hot rod motor. I guess this is a matter of personal preference.

I ran across a set of stamped steel "Power by Ford" valve covers which had been cleaned and refinished and I bought them. Are there any photos which show these as original fitment on sixties GT40s? I guess my real question is: what DO original GT40 valve covers look like? Given the large number of variations on these cars, I find it hard to believe that there would be only one original fitment. I AM familiar with the ones that have the box-like breather built up on top of what appears to be just a stamped steel valve cover (I had a chance to buy a set from Bill Wonder a while back and I am kicking myself that I didn't do it).

Any and all opinions solicited and thanks in advance. I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jim,
They look like this.
Although some were standard tin ones from the HiPo heads

Attachments

• Valve Catch Can Covers.jpg
    Valve Catch Can Covers.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,623
'They' were from the first 221/260/289 steel covers, no names, no logos with filler/breather fittings @ Rear on both sides. Same style of pressing as attached Daytona pic.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
These are made from the same stuff, I think, but they say "Power by Ford" on them, stamped into the tin.

It looks like the breather box arrangement has to do with ventilating crankcase pressure, or returning condensed oil to the engine- kind of like a catch can built onto the vale cover, Am I right?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If they aren't appropriate for the GT40's engine, I can always stick them on the Cobra's engine; it's also a 302. Somehow it seems like the old-looking stuff looks better to me. I guess that is where this all started, isn't it....

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
The valve covers you describe are the late 60s and on design...probably 67-68, that were standard Ford issue. I haven't seen any GT40 pics that had them, although they may have been used on the street MKIII. As pointed out both versions are available through several Mustang suppliers. I think the vent tanks on the one set illustrated were not a "standard" cover, per se. But it, as well as others, are seen on many early GT40 pics.

Jim:
I definitely am going for the stamped steel valve covers. I think they look just fine on the motor. I really can't get into some of those flashy aluminum covers, especially when they have someones advertising on them. The only thing I might consider would be a set of the Gurney Weslake covers, but only if I had the heads under them.
I have a pair of original (1965?) valve covers, painted gold from the factory that are destined for my motor.
Cheers
Phil

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
The fit could be an issue depending on the use of roller rockers and/or their size... it was for me, anyway. :thumbsdown:

Am crossing my fingers for you, Jim.

T.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
The fit could be an issue depending on the use of roller rockers and/or their size... it was for me, anyway. :thumbsdown:

Am crossing my fingers for you, Jim.

T.
I believe there are some valve cover spacers available to remedy any roller rocker interference. They aren't that thick and would likely go unnoticed in most applications.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There ought to be room. I may stick them on the Kirkham's engine. I'm driving that car now; it will be a few months yet before 1149 is out running around and getting the rear clip lifted at hot rod gatherings to wow everyone :)

These are made from the same stuff, I think, but they say "Power by Ford" on them, stamped into the tin.

It looks like the breather box arrangement has to do with ventilating crankcase pressure, or returning condensed oil to the engine- kind of like a catch can built onto the vale cover, Am I right?

The "Power by Ford" embossed valve covers started in 1967. Early 221-260-289 tin covers did not have oil breather/fill tubes as the oil was added via a tube in the front cover. Circa 1965 they added the filler tube/breather on the valve cover and dropped the tube in the front cover (also when the changeover from generator to alternator took place).

The tin cover genrally will not clear roller rockers but you can add an aluminum spacer that is available.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Turns out the valve cover spacers are available from Ansen; I got a pair through Mustangs Unlimited. I am going to set a set of the repro tin valve covers, either gold or dark blue, from the same source. With the spacers, they ought to clear the roller rockers. The PBF valve covers will end up on the Kirkham Cobra's engine, once we get them cleaned up and repainted. All of this is just details, I suppose, but why not.

It turns out that the original oil-box covers that I passed up from Bill Wonder wouldn't have fit in any case- they would have required the spacers which would have made the overall height too much to fit under the rear bodywork, I think. Although the box design is kind of cool in its' own way.

Jim,
They look like this.
Although some were standard tin ones from the HiPo heads

Jimmy,

Can you explain the function/plumbing of these original valve covers? What is the purpose of the two tubes which rise from the end of the valve covers, but are capped off? Did the boxes in the center have hoses which went to a catch tank, and if so, what did it look like?

Jimmy,

Can you explain the function/plumbing of these original valve covers? What is the purpose of the two tubes which rise from the end of the valve covers, but are capped off? Did the boxes in the center have hoses which went to a catch tank, and if so, what did it look like?

I have a original pair of Hi-Po valve covers I would like to convert to the optional GT40 "race" valve covers with ventilation boxes but am lacking info also.

Looks like push-in breather caps on both sides and a raised oil fill pipe away from the headers on the right side (chained cap in case of the 'ooops')?

Chris

FWIW P/1063, a very original, unmolested GT40 Mk 1 road car, wears 'open-letter' COBRA valve covers. Perhaps from new, or perhaps a Shelby touch when it was first sent to the USA?

Jim Dewar

Supporter
I used valve covers like Jimmymac's photo. There was a clearance problem I resolved by slight flattening of the baffles (a little modeling clay between rocker and valve cover) with a hammer to clear the roller rockers. I also ordered the spacers but could not tolerate the appearance and returned them.

Back