Vent Window Install

Hi All-

I am putting new side windows my GTD. When I bought my car it had some funky insets in the doors which I am replacing with original style windows with the vent flaps in them. I don't have the benefit of having an original window as a guide. I have been looking at some of the pics on the site but- as I do want to drill the holes in the right place the first time, I thought that I would ask around before drilling. These parts are hard to come by.
The windows that I am working with have very tight tolerances between the window and the vent insert. Looks like the insert will need to be trimmed on the front edge in order for the vent to pivot outward on the hinges. Anyone have tips on this install?

Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 228

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Yes - the insert/window leading edge join needs to be bevelled to allow the insert to swivel out (or at least did on mine). Just a few degrees on either the window, or insert, or both, should do the trick. Also, install the hinges such that the lower part of each hinge is on the window side, not the insert, or, alternatively, install with the window parts on either side of the insert hinges (as in the ERA sourced diagram attached). That way, if you are using the removable pins as shown in your photo, the hinges stop the insert moving up or down when opened.

ventwind.gif

Yes - the insert/window leading edge join needs to be bevelled to allow the insert to swivel out (or at least did on mine). Just a few degrees on either the window, or insert, or both, should do the trick. Also, install the hinges such that the lower part of each hinge is on the window side, not the insert, or, alternatively, install with the window parts on either side of the insert hinges (as in the ERA sourced diagram attached). That way, if you are using the removable pins as shown in your photo, the hinges stop the insert moving up or down when opened.

View attachment 119407
Thanks Brian- I was looking at the geometry of the hinges. Looks like the longer hinge arm goes on the vent side and placed back to maximize the vent flap lift away from the main window.
I am researching the black tape that is used where the side window seats into the door. I see the same or similar tape used to seal the headlight and turn signal covers. Any ideas there?
happy motoring,
Paul

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Yes - I put the longer am on the vent side.

I used black self adhesive foam tape around my light covers. Works well. However, for the side windows I merely masked and painted the window edges. If I ever re-do my side windows I may use the foam, although I'm not sure it is needed. I get very little leakage around mine.

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.35.37 AM.png

Painting the edges is a great idea. You could use any sealer behind that and it won't show.
I was just thinking about the lack of ventilation in the cabin. If I put the hinges on the rear edge of the vent, opening on the front edge, I wonder how much fresh air you would scoop in at 100+ MPH?
Ok, Ok, Just kidding.
Thanks again!

PS: Looks like summer in NZ

Helicopter vents fitted in the front of the window do a terrific job of ramming cold air into the cockpit whilst on the move.

Back