Video from Phillip Island

Loved the sights and sounds of the video. I noticed that you have your rear vision mirror some way done the windscreen. Mine is at the top of the windscreen and it compromises my rear view because my rear line of sight slants downwards. How does your mirror placement affect your forward vision?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Guys
Here are my responses to your questions-

Dave Bilyk- yes I do feel the spirit of the forum with me on the track but I also felt the pressure on saturday when I had nothing on the video tape (I had made promises)

Murray Cowley-Nice to know your enjoying my ramblings, there will be more, btw we used to live in Tavistock Road.

Sandy-I'll make sure the red light comes on more often next time.Motor has a bit of a Daytona sound about it, like 'Days of thunder' sound track.

Jim- (Woburn Massachusetts) I love the name Massachusetts reminds me of a time when we had flowers in our hair, am I showing my age. I wonder if you have the record at watching the video 20 times Jim? Yes the car even after 4 years is constantly developing and further changes are very likely.The steering is next and is way too heavy so I hope to fix this before next meeting.I do have more video.If anyone is interested I could make DVD's available but I would have to charge to defray expenses.
There were 2 Daytonas the black one and lime green.The black one suffered a diff failure.They both have gen3 Chev motors at 6 litres but my 5 litre doesn't do too badly.

Russ- you carby guy, when I eventually succeed in bringing you into the 21st century, I will demonstrate how a shift light operates.Ok heres a little primer.The red light comes on to say hey change gear buddy,then if you don't some soft limiting takes place,then if you still take no notice it cuts cylinders and I reached that point on the video first time down the straight.

Paolo- Glad you liked the video, you are most welcome to enjoy and I love your last line, so much so I will use it at the end of this post.

Kym H- Don't have a problem with forward view.I put the mirror there after spotting that position in a lot of original cars.I think that might have been to provide vision past the weber stacks.However I find it quite good and I have the guard mounted mirror so if I look a little higher I can catch that one. I found turning head to look at left door mirror hopeless while racing.

Ron- Motor has the goods over the old one.

I will finish with a fantastic line from Paolo

" Feel always our spirit with you when Racing Man"

Isn't that fantastic? A line I will remember forever.

Cheers Ross:)

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hells teeth Ross, you can get little lights that tell you when to change gear??:pepper:

I just wait til it stops accelerating then find the next one!! Could be a battle between the technologies when you bring her over here for Feb. meetings.

For those that are interested, Ross is bringing his car over for SFOS where we will be going wheel to wheel. His hi-tech, injected, 302 and 5 speed ZF against my lo-tech, carbed, 351 and 4 speed 930. Is that still on, Ross?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Nice video Ross!

It's interesting to watch and see the similarities and differences between our cars.
That steering is a sod isn't it... I am hopeful that Jim C will have a fix for that soon. I'm glad you can drive it like that, I can't.
You seemed to have that Porsche pretty well matched except on the corner leading to the pit straight where he gained quite a bit. Is that a stability issue with your car or something else? Power seemed good enough.
I have to see about improving my gear linkage, your car is quicker between gears than mine.

Thank's for the effort with the video. :)

Tim.

Last edited:
Thank you,

That was awsome!!!!!
I'm inspired to fit a video camera to my car also!
Way to share "Old School" with all those new cars.
I bet they enjoyed sharing track with you!!

Best always,
Jack

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Russ
I'm still hoping to bring the car over but it will depend on the budget.I will have to get cracking soon though as this year is certainly flying by.

Tim
I've always been slow at Phillip Island,but it was interesting to see how the new camber settings could affect lap times.Previously I had to work very hard to do a 1min 47sec time but now they are easily acheived.I must admit I never thought the video camera would be such a help in diagnosing problems and it is clear to me the heavy steering is contributing to slow cornering. The high speeds through those sweeping corners loads the steering to a muscle bulging level. I have been considering power steering this week but I'm going to take castor off the front to lighten up the steering instead. It's nice to see that I'm not far off the pace though. When my current motor was in the Daytona,like the ones racing, it acheived a 1min 42sec lap at the Island so that is my next goal.I'll let you know what castor I end up with so you can try it on your car.

Ross

Back