Vintage Sponsor Decals & Striping for GT40

Hi Howard,

Great question. The quick answer is yes, you can remove the numbers from the roundel without damage. The trick is to use the correct type of film that is specific to short term use (2-3 years) OR use static cling numbers. Either way, you can remove the numbers at will.

As for the roundel/stripes combo, I can setup the sill stripe with a roundel cut-out. Applying the sill stripe first and the roundel after is the easiest way to do it and would be the way we setup the graphics for you. I have an excellent install guide and application tools are included.

These can also be done in 3M paint mask - all digitally cut like the vinyl. I've sold to Cobra owners and many GT40 owners to date with very positive feedback.

Any questions or requests - just ask.

Hope that helps

Chris

Ron McCall

Supporter
Chris,

Can you supply ,say,a set of dual white stripes with a thin black(or other color) border already attached?

Attachments

• Ford-GT40-red-f-lrkj, (Small).jpg
    Ford-GT40-red-f-lrkj, (Small).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 506
  • gt40j (Small).jpg
    gt40j (Small).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 439
Hi Ron,

It can be done. It would have to be printed with a clear over-laminate. I would suggest that the 'White' and outer stripe be applied separately. The wide stripe I can cut in shop and the outer smaller stripe I can get in a roll of pin stripe - all in any color you want. The nostril panel will require some additional care/application technique due to it's unique proportions but the better film I use can contour around them.

Hell if you can build your car to the very high standards you've posted then I don't see you having any difficulty applying this stuff - no rocket science here...

Chris

Howard Jones

Supporter
As you can see it came out great. Took a few hours but wasn't really very hard.

Follow directions and take your time. Use a spray bottle with dish soap (1/2 teaspoon to 1 quart) and really flood the work area and back (adhesive side) of stripes. Your can't really use too much water, use a lot.

Keep your hands clean, don't contaminate the adhesive backing, trial fit the whole side one at a time. Measure twice, or 10 times if you are like me, and cut once. Pre trim everything and leave on backing until you are completely ready to apply to car. Work slow and put on one piece at a time. I did the roundel's first after I trimmed the stripes to fit both length and cut out for roundel.

Good stuff Chris!!! Thanks.

Attachments

• HPIM0432.jpg
    HPIM0432.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 432
  • HPIM0450.jpg
    HPIM0450.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 405
  • HPIM0448.jpg
    HPIM0448.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 429
  • HPIM0439.jpg
    HPIM0439.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Great job Ron, looks fantastic!

Yes, lots of fluid and take your time, the install guide I provide is based on working experience but if anyone has suggestions to improve it then let me know your thoughts.

Cool.

Chris

Ron McCall

Supporter
Chris,
What size roundels do GT40s usually use? Can you supply them with the number already part of them or would they have to be added seperately?
What is the price (USD) for a set?

Thanks

Hi Ron,

Roundel sizes typically are 22 inch for the doors and 20 inch for uppers. I recommend the numbers be done in vinyl (can do flat or gloss Black) - more durable and are as thin as a couple of coats of paint. Sizes to fit roundels are typically 16 inch doors and 14 inch uppers.

Roundels are sold as a pair for $45.00, same for the numbers. $180.00 USD + shipping is your total.

Hope that helps-

Thanks!

Chris

Also - we can now do static cling for roundels, decals etc. should you want that option. Numbers will be printed onto the static material, as the decals. Not as durable as the semi-permanent type but that's the nature of the beast.

FYI

Chris

Chris, can you make me paint masks for the sill stripes that say GT40? I need two and fairly quickly. I will be in paint in two weeks. Thanks.

Chris, I found the sill decal mask I needed on your web site and placed the order tonight. 29 April delivery will get it to me just in time for paint!

While I was there, I found the exact decals I was looking for for my daytona coupe!!! I included them in the order. Here is is before the unfortunate accident:

Coupe10-14-06002.jpg

I always wanted the correct decals for the paint scheme I am copying:

Carpics010.jpg

It just came out of the paint booth and now will match the model:

couperecon18.jpg

Thanks so much for your attention to detail!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It just came out of the paint booth and now will match the model:

Man - that's going to take a HECKUVA Sharpie to get the Ol' man to swing as he autographs the roof!!! :stunned:
:thumbsup:

Just kiddin...

She's looking good Mark!!! Like nothing ever happened!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Chris, I have been using your static cling numbers on the permanent roundels to good effect for a while now. As you may remember I applied the permanent roundels and used the static cling numbers as different numbers were needed. This has worked out pretty well but I have been assigned permanent numbers by the club that I do most of my on track time with and I would like to put on permanent numbers.

Can I apply permanent numbers on the currently in place roundels? Or should I remove the old roundels and put back on new ones with a printed on number?

I have 18" diameter white roundels and will need number 83 on them. The numbers on the car now are 14" tall and they work well with 18" roundels.

What would be the cost of three 18" white roundels with a printed on black 83, Style 7 numbers? This would be the best way to go unless it is hard to get off the old ones.
If I need to remove the old roundels what is the best way to do it?

If you think I should just apply stick on numbers to the old roundels, what would be the cost for three sets of 83?

Also have you any clear tape that I can use to protect the lower portion of the roundel on the doors at the edge. When getting in and out of the car my shoes are beginning to damage the permanent stick on roundel and I would like to cover the edge with some clear tape of some kind. One inch wide by 18" strip would do it. Does anybody make a roll of tape that would be good for this?

Last edited:
Hi Howard,

Your roundels are pretty much new so I would leave them on and apply the numbers in the permanent film. I can make them 14 inches in height, cost for 3 sets would be $60.00 USD and I'll throw in some clear 1 inch film for your door roundels FOC.

Chris

Howard Jones

Supporter
Chris, I just sent you my order. I need 3 of the permanent stick on gloss black 83's to put onto the roundels that are already on the car. I think the order form put me down for 6 because they come in pairs and I want the decals I ordered to be the permanent type NOT static cling. Anyway would you check on this for me.

And if you have some 3" or so Raceline decals I'll put two on my car for you if you wish to include them.

Thank you, Howard

Last edited:
Back