WEBER 48 IDA quality issue

Will continue this in my buildlog, to not distract from the subject of quality issues with the last batch of IDA´s which are currently in the market.
My Reco is clear. Check them and if they feature the same issue, i would not use them and rather send them back.
TOM

Hi Cliff

yes quite sure about the fact that it is not a designed offset.

This webers are die cast. Only the first ones where sandcast.
After casting the barrels are machined. So any offset or centered placement is just question of correct or as in this case uncorrect machining. No changes of mould necesarry to correct this, only good machining.

this is how it should be. I could take a picture of my other pair of IDA´s both of them look like this. So defenitely bad quality of the "made in spain" stuff.
oldwebercorrect_zps1504b095.jpg

TOM

Hi Tom,

I totally misunderstood your original posting - I thought you were saying the venturi bridge was cast offset to the bore....now I see you're talking about the non-centric boring of the throat relative to the casting contour. Duh. Yeah, that's pretty basic...set it up properly in the mill with the boring fixture centered properly relative to the casting....

Tom, best to be sure your IDAs are all the same with regards to the progression holes drilled in the throats. Obviously, even if the jetting is matched up across all four if the progression holes differ then you'll have different mixtures across the cylinders throughout the rpm range. You probably already know this....

Tom-
I have an uninstalled set from the late '60 I can photograph if you like, but I have no idea if that's the early period you're interested in or not. They do have cam follower arms that protrude slightly below the base at idle position, if that helps.
John

Back