Weber Air Filter

Tim, I don't know what the Tornado uses for a fear tranny mount but if it is similar to the GTD, you can dump the approximately 2 inch thick doughnuts for a much thinner one. Using one from an early 60's Pontiac Catalina (1964) automatic lowers the tranny over 1".Here are some part numbers from after market suppliers in the US. Seal Power # 270-2206; Perfect Circle # 220-1084; Republic # 31-2206 or Napa/Balkamp # 602-1061.

This is kind of old, but has anyone done this. Any problems or other adjustments that have to be carried out. I would like to try to reduce the tilt of my GTD's engine so I can fit a set of Tornado 180 degree headers.

Thanks!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
What about screens or filters at the sides of the engine intake area- those sculptured inlets that are lateral to the plexiglass rear window? Most of the engine supply air comes through those two scoops. It seems that would be a good place to fit a screen as the air velocity is lower and the area is bigger...I am going to do the tea strainer screens also. I think if they are rounded upwards they won't block much air at all.

Wish I was at the point that this was ALL I had to worry about with this project....

Jim,
Check out some pictures of the early cars. I have seen some with a screen on the air scoop that feeds the air to the engine. It should be easy to fabricate a cheap but handsome solution to the issue. On car P1043, a "road coupe", there was a nifty screen on these scoops that was attached to an aluminum frame that moulded the airscoop from the inside of the tail. It also added a little subtle bling in that area that perfectly matched the weber stacks. There is also some other builds on this site that addresses this same issue.
Garry

Chuck

Supporter
One could perhaps use a finer screen for the vents than depicted in these pics.

Attachments

• VentRearClip2.JPG
    VentRearClip2.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 233
  • VentRearClip4.JPG
    VentRearClip4.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 291
What about screens or filters at the sides of the engine intake area- those sculptured inlets that are lateral to the plexiglass rear window? Most of the engine supply air comes through those two scoops. It seems that would be a good place to fit a screen as the air velocity is lower and the area is bigger...I am going to do the tea strainer screens also. I think if they are rounded upwards they won't block much air at all.

Wish I was at the point that this was ALL I had to worry about with this project....

Jim,

I know that Bill Bayard had this setup on his old car. I'll try to find the thread...

Someone dynoed a GT40 with and without the small air filters. I think it was Gordon Levy, the former RF dealer. If memory serves me the filters cost around 38-40 REAR wheel hp - a bunch!!!! The ones they had looked like a large disc with a lot of big holes in it. Under the metal disc was the filter material and the whole thing plugged into the trumpet.

But, that is just one engine, one filter, one example. Take it for what it is worth.

I own a Mustang MD800 dyno so I can do hundreds of slight mods to my engine and do statistical redundancy testing at no real cost. I used the filters Ron refers to above and after several dozen runs with and without these filters, I averaged a rear wheel HP reduction of 42 HP.

Back