What Warranty ??

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Larry,

Thank you for responding to my requests for more information.
It appears to me that your claim is more the responsibility of your dealer(s) than it is with Superformance.
Understand that companies that are in flux (in the process of being bought/sold) can cause a serious latency within the process and sometimes loss of information.
Their can also be a misunderstanding in terms of responsibility for post sales service and warranty remedy.
If Superformance sold the vehicle to DMS and not to DMS-W, then I can certainly understand why SPF is willing to only deal with their customer of record for the car (DMS).
I understand your frustration and I hope that you find resolution to it.
I stand by my previous statement that SPF's customer was neither you nor DMS-W but DMS. Hence your problem is not with SPF but with your original dealer and their agreement with DMS-W.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Randy I am not so quick to jump on the bandwagon with you. Generally warranties are in the name of the end user, which in this case would be Larry. Notwithstanding that, I would want to see the contract of sale and warranty contract. Additionally I would want to know who supplied and installed the fuel line as well as the pedal assembly. It would seem that the pedal assembly is directly connected to the manufacture of the car. If so, Superformance should be liable at least for the pedal assembly. Would need to know the alleged "defect" of the pedal assembly and other facts. Just my opinion.

Unfortunately, this kind of problems happens all the time between dealers and the brands. I had a similar problem with Renault because of a faulty paint-job on a brand new car. Needless to say, never saw a single cent for my loss...

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I understand that there are various vantage points to this issue - but - here goes some of the particulars that my thought patterns are influenced by;

First - Know that I am not an SPF owner but have long been a large fan of their products.

> SPF is not an automobile manufacturer. They are a manufacturer of parts that are shipped as a subassembly to be completed by their owner. In this case the owner of record is DMS.

> As I understand it - it is up to the owner of the car to install or adjust the pedals and steering shaft/wheel to suit the size and comfort of the owner. In this case, DMS was to be working on behalf of Larry and making the appropriate adjustments. Said installation and adjustments may have compromised the assembly as shipped by SPF to DMS.

> Fuel line issue - Not knowing where the particular issue is, I can only surmise that it's installation to the non-SPF supplied engine may have been boffed by the installer (DMS).

> We do not know the relationship of DMS to DMS-W nor any potential agreements between them.

So - in conclusion - given the information as I understand it so far, plus what I have always understood about SPF and their deliverable goods - I have to believe that the issues are squarely on the shoulders of the dealer - DMS.

Now - that's all my opinion and we all know about those... Opinions that is..

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Randy, if I may build upon your statements. Please do not see this as an attack, as it is not.

I have no first hand knowledge of SPF business practices. I have never seen their contracts of sale or warranty contract either. Those two documents should determine who the responsible party is.

I am aware that SPF is "technically" not an auto manufacturer under current law, but lets look at the issue.

Did SPF supply the pedal assembly? I assume yes. Why was the assembly "sticking" or defective. If manufactured improperly, I would think SPF is responsible to cover replacement/repair. They in turn could go after their supplier. If the pedal assembly was rendered inoperable based upon installer error, then the installer should be held accountable. My understanding is that SPF installs the pedals with the dealer possibly adjusting per customer. But I am not 100 % certain. If the pedal assembly is defective based upon SPF installation, then they are responsible. If dealer error, dealer on the hook.

Same goes for the "pinched" fuel line. I am assuming a hard line. If pinched from the factory - SPF needs to address. If damaged by the dealer, he needs to address the issue.

The only concern I have is your certain opinion that SPF is not a responsible party here. In my opinion there are not enough facts presently known to come to that conclusion. It appears that Larry is unfortunately in a he said-she said situation with one of the initial selling/installing dealer going out of business.

More information-- The dealer that I bought it from, Dynamic Motor Sports, Is responsible for the first $1000( as I believe all the dealers are),Superformance is responsible for the balance. You would also think that Superformance would be the one to sort out their dealer liability issue and not leave their customer hanging! The fuel line and brake assembly are definetly factory issues. In one case my fuel delivery shut down on the freeway when passing a car at 80mph+ with a car coming at me head on.In another case ,the brakes locked up late at night going around a mountain turn--- what fun!!

Not sure if it matters but Superformance doesn't build anything. As I understand it they are the world wide distributor of some of the cars built by Hi-Tech in South Africa.

I'll have to look but I think all I got was a limited one year warranty on the car. In fact on my bill of sale from the dealer at first it said "As Is No Warranty", they only changed it when I pressed them on it.

It's all hand written in my case. But then again they didn't do anything later when I asked for help. The also told me I would have to bring the car to them if I didn't want to fix it myself as they would not pay for anyone else to do the work. I live about 350 miles from them and the car doesn't run. Gas was almost $5 gal at the time.

Not a formal warranty in any stretch of the imagination. It looks like the dealership should have pick up the labor (at the dealership) and Superformance would have provided the parts. That’s just a guess based on my experience.

Ultimately if I were Superformance and one of my dealerships didn’t live up to their end of the bargain I would take the hit. If it cost them one or more car sales due to bad press the $1700 would seem like chump change. IMHO.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Larry - Thank you, again, for supplying yet more information...

So I'm curious, since I know nothing of Dynamic Motor Sports, are they an authorized dealer of Superformance products, or are they a reseller. There is a difference. Authorized dealers work on behalf of the supplying company. Resellers are simply given a break on the product's cost and they resell that product to their customers.
This might be something that comes out during all the legal proceedings unless you absolutely know it as fact.
If they are an authorized dealer - then they (DMS) are representing Superformance during the sale and post sale dealings with you the customer. In that case, I would expect that Superformance would be on the hook not for a portion of the costs of repair while in warranty, but the whole 9 yards..

If I might ask on behalf of all the SPF owners that gather here - what was the problem - precisely as you can be - with the fuel line and brakes?

Hi again, and thanks for your great responses. More information--- Dynamic Motor Sports was the authorized dealer for Superformance, Owned by Ian Grunes ( now has the Rossion dealership in Pompano Beach, Fl) , who sold the dealership to Dynamic Motor Sports, while my car was in warranty. The warranty is a formal one year term.
The collasped fuel line was the factory installed cross over line from one fuel tank to the other. The pedal assemly was factory set in the extended position, which fit me
fine, The repair shop ,Full Throttle Performance, is an authorized repair facitity for Superformance and does excellant work!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your responses...

Do you recall what the problem was with the brakes (pedals?) and what was done to resolve it?

I know in some other cars there has been a potential issue with interference between the brake pedal and steering shaft..

Randy,
There was a tec.sheet sent from the factory, I believe, that addressed redrilling the bushing shaft hole and replacing the bushing. I believe in my case it was found that end of the brake pedal was hanging up on the base plate and the assemble was removed and the base of the pedal was ground down.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
All great info Larry -

Please do keep us posted on new developments - we do hope that they move in your favor of course..

Meanwhile - Please do make use of our forums here.. We have many Superformance owners here as well as other manufacturers - but most importantly - we are all fans of the GT40.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Hi Larry,

Please tell us what your car # is, I'm P2125.

Re the fuel line issue...Is it possible that it was crushed and "collapsed" during engine install? Where in the line did the "collapse" occur?

Re the brake pedal issue: Do you have or can you get and post a copy of the (from your post above) "tec.sheet sent from the factory" that you believe addressed redrilling the bushing shaft hole and replacing the bushing. I haven't experienced this problem but, would be great to inform all the SPF forum owners and allow us to inspect our cars. We will be grateful for your info!

Looking forward to more detail, even some pics of the area you have had repaired along with the "tech sheet" would be great.

Thanks in advance for your response. We are eager to check our cars but, need more detail.

Fellow SPF owner Steve P2125

Back