What's the difference?

I have been checking out lots of car builders and have found about the same amount of differences in the cost of the GT40's. What makes one company that much more than the next? Is it in the materials used, the engineering?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
A lot of different factors, some are space frame chassis others are monocoque, price also depends on what stage of build you want. I.E. Body chassis, rolling chassis, turnkey. You need to contact each manufacturer and
get it spelt out in writing exactly what you are getting for your $.
Also take into account exchange rates and shipping costs if you are dealing with a different country.

Thanks Pete for the reply. It's mind boggling the amount of stuff you need to consider. I can see this process taking quite some time.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Just to add a note to Pete's comments about the many brands & stages of completion - perhaps you should also look at what other guys have done in Canada. Registration is one of the big issues with these cars, & if you can find someone who has already been there with "Brand X" in your local area, it might knock a year off your total build time (& add a few years to your life-span) !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Paul,

As in all things, beyond the actual cost of production, there is usually a price to pay for the marque. Not to say there won't be technical differences between all products, but some manufacturers will certainly feel that their cars should carry a premium. Thorough research should be able to ferret out those that will charge you for a certain badge.

Lynn

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul,

Peter makes an excellent point about time saved by purchasing a GT ready to go. For many of us, the build is some of the fun - but that doesn't mean building a car from scratch or even finishing a kit is for everyone. When it's all said and done, we'll all agree it's the driving that has the attention of every one of us!

BTW, I'm really not all that far South of you - if you'd like to have a good look at an RCR over the holiday break, let me know.

Best,

T.

delaneyp said:
Just to add a note to Pete's comments about the many brands & stages of completion - perhaps you should also look at what other guys have done in Canada. Registration is one of the big issues with these cars, & if you can find someone who has already been there with "Brand X" in your local area, it might knock a year off your total build time (& add a few years to your life-span) !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Good advice for sure, replica regualtions are very different here in the Great White North...

Chris

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
For some of us in those hard to register jurisdictions, buying a built car is much easier, cheaper and lots faster. It's also not as rewarding initially, but you do get to drive a GT40 right away! :) I still plan on building one someday, but on careful reflection of my current stage of life, drive now, build later worked for me.

One other side benefit of having a built car is that it gives me a chance to think about how I'd change certain things when I do build one.

Either way you go, you're not likely to regret much as long as you are honest with yourself and do your homework (as you're doing).

Back