Which kit?

I've done some research and am wanting to take the plunge, however there is only one prominent stumbling block. Because of finances, i would like to spread my build to suit income and time, however with the latest news of DRB scaling down, i am worried others may follow suit and i could be stuck with a half completed kit.

I am fortunate to have both RCR and DRB at my doorstep but this doesnt guarantee continued support.

Do most of you purchase the complete kit or stages? If for some reason one manufacturer cannot continue supply of parts, are other kits somewhat interchangeable?

I apologise for the naive questions.

Cheers Ty

If you saw how busy our factory is, you wouldn't be concerned. We are getting an RCR-40 replica out per week at the moment. My guys are working nights and weekends.

One of the great things with the RCR kit is you can buy as little or as much as you want. From the base kit you can source the remaining components from a huge number of suppliers.

And if you have any doubts with compatibility, you can always ask for advice from fellow forum members. Plus the wealth of information contained in the many build threads & posts on this forum.

Also local builders you can chat with.

And the local GT40 club.

Thanks Craig, I will have to get down and have look once i am back home.

I would love to have a chat with any current local builders.

Cheers Ty

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ty, I think your concern is more than legitimate. In todays economy; "here today, gone tomorrow" doesn't surprise me nearly like it used to. For a myriad of reasons, some being very valid, even strong companies have choosen to close their doors. With that being said, I have been involved with this wonderful community almost ten years (wow! when I think about it, purchased my Tornado in 2002) and knowing what I know now I would be confident doing business with any one of five to six well known manufacturers mentioned throughout this website.

My suggestions if building in stages would be, at minimum, get the basic chassis and body i.e. suspension and molded body components (front & rear clip, spider, doors, dash) from the source of your choice. If the unlikely prophetic event were to happen then the balance of parts to complete your build are abundantly available through other sources. In other words, I think the chassis, suspension and body need to match manufacturer. Everything else if need be can be sourced elsewhere.

Oh, one last comment. Windshields, having never replaced one and from what I've read, may be a concern. There was a thread some years back that outlined the manufacturers that were compatible with each other and the ones that weren't. I'm sure a diligent search could find it in short order.

just my .02, hope it helps.

Tim

Thanks for your advice Tim.

I hate being a little pessimistic but the reality is just that. Though after talking to some owners and manufacturers at length, I am beginning to feel much more comfortable with the whole process.

I agree with what your saying with regard to chassis, body and suspension, i had planned to do just that once i decide on the manufacturer to go with. I also plan to keep engine, gearbox and any other generic parts purchases to the end, so that way it allows me more in the budget to spend on build and manufacturer specific items.

I'm also planning to take a good period off work in the initial stages so that i can get a good roll on the project and also to keep the build time to a minimum. This may seem optimistic for a novice but from reading previous builds i am pretty sure you educate yourself very quickly.

Cheers Ty

What about RF? They have great service and the base kit is Australian made.

I've started conversations with Jonathan from RF, from the outset a very professional outfit indeed, and with development of their new engine setups, it left me feeling very comfortable. Hopefully he will be able to pass on details of current builders in QLD so that i can have a chat.

I like their concept of being more assembly based construction than fabrication and sourcing, I think this suits me far better.

Cheers Ty

I have built one of their kits up to a roller and i was very impressed especially with Paul's honesty and technical know how. You will have no trouble with RF and there will be plenty of RF's in QLD.

They really can supply every nut and bolt needed.

Fran and Mark, thanks. I would be silly to not consider all options especially with the great specials Craig is running at the moment plus i don't need to factor in the cost of interstate delivery etc.

I will definitely be visiting both facilities in the coming weeks, i just want to educate myself enough to be able to observe things and be able to ask about things that will matter or be more important to me.

Cheers Ty

I have built one of their kits up to a roller and i was very impressed especially with Paul's honesty and technical know how. You will have no trouble with RF and there will be plenty of RF's in QLD.

They really can supply every nut and bolt needed.

Hi Dave, I've read your build log on the DRB though i didnt find anything on the RF kit.

Currently trying to find all the RF build logs post '06 and reading and saving pictures, never know when you may need the reference.

Cheers Ty

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
How much fabrication can you do ??
Sourcing of parts - regardless of what you buy - you'll be looking for parts of one kind or another..
I have a hard time calling any of these cars "Kits"..
Have you ever built a car before?
There's lots (and I mean LOTS) of work to do in building any of these cars...
Local support is HUGE in these cars.

How much fabrication can you do ??
Sourcing of parts - regardless of what you buy - you'll be looking for parts of one kind or another..
I have a hard time calling any of these cars "Kits"..
Have you ever built a car before?
There's lots (and I mean LOTS) of work to do in building any of these cars...
Local support is HUGE in these cars.

Hi Randy, i can do minor fabrication work, and i think that would be very enjoyable. I've watched and helped a friend build his cobra kits and watched a couple of DRB's come together over the years.

Personal experiences are minor things like, i've removed and i stalled gearboxes, cluthes, motors, helped build my motor and fabricate a custom twin turbo setup etc.

I have access to most tools if needed, mandrel benders, sheet benders and the like. I understand its a big job, i just want it to be at least a little straight forward.

Cheers

Ps, thanks for switching my name over, i realised the mistake after officially joining.

Paul, are you back here in time for this:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/worldwid...-qld-australia-25th-26th-june.html#post337394

Great opportunity to see some GT40 replicas on and off track and speak to owners.

We have a couple of local RCR-40 owners now that have finished their cars in less than 6 months part time, they both attend most local events and would be very good people to speak with.

We have invested a lot of time and money in making the kits as easy to build as possible. Randy does bring up a valid point, you are still building a car from scratch, so it is a substantial project. Local resources are handy to have.

We are also happy to organise all the registration paperwork, submissions, testing etc for our local RCR customers as well. Makes for a quick and simple registration process.

(You just beat me with your post above. Going by your experience above, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see the RCR's in the flesh.)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Paul, I think your options are RCR and DRB, both are close to the Gold Coast and
the reason I chose DRB was because of this. Of course I am biased towards the DRB kit because I have one but I am sure the RCR is also a good product.

RCR wasn't in Australia when I made my choice and I had heard some disturbing stories about R.F. at the time, which later events turned out to be well founded.

I hasten to add that RF now has new owners and I have heard nothing but praise for them, it may be worth a trip to Melbourne to meet with them.

If you would like to have a look over my car you are welcome, just send me a P.M. One of my best mates has an R.F. and I am sure I can arrange for you to check it out also.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. An area we haven't been strong in to date is marketing and explanation of the kits. Paul (Ty) understands this but for others viewing:

As alluded to by Dave and Paul himself, the RF kits are COMPLETE - every nut, bolt, washer, clip, rivet is included in 140 - something kits (depending on options) the wiring harness comes complete, terminated, ready to plug in.
Jonathan's analogy is that if you were driving down the road in your fully compliant, completed and registered car, pulled into the garage and stripped it into 140 kits, thats what you can buy off us, I am not sure many others offer this.

If you choose to buy the lot from us, (some do some don't, some purchase all at once, others in varying stages of completeness) there is nothing to source yourself besides paint and tyres and we can help you with these anyway !
As such, fabrication skills required are limited to being able to use a set of spanners, rivet and bond agent guns and a drill. Bodywork is probably the same no matter which kit you choose - we can supply it ready to paint or like others we have preferred body fitting guys and painters but these are often outsourced jobs anyway. Most recent kits include the body fit option where panels and gaps are aligned, requiring only normal body prep prior to finishing.

There are not many build logs on recent RF's, I am not sure the current clients are web/blog active or necessarily GT40s.com guys but we would be pleased if they were, as we are proud of our product and would like you guys to know about it from a clients veiwpoint - I asked one to contribute here recently and although this may not necessarily be a typical response, his was "what do you want me to write, we followed the instructions and stuck it all together...." Others make changes from the std RF kit for individuality but just haven't written on here about it. Like others we have a significant network of like minded clients and a phone/email/mailout support service that makes it easy.

But really, compliance is the easy part - being a Vicroads compliance signatory myself, we assist interstate clients through the process and have nearly 100 vehicles complied Australia wide to date, my engineering counterpart in Queensland is a personal friend from our previous working life and, like our other engineers in other states, has all the test reports and data he needs to tick the boxs.

I respect Pete's comments re RF1 of course and I'm glad he made it out with a car BUT we have been here for 5 years (already !) in the current RF2 guise, and plan on sticking around.

And yes I really must learn to post more regularly instead of an essay rarely....further I have not posted this to be part of a debate, rather to clarify some previous posts and perhaps misconceptions about the RF product.

Regards Paul

Hi Craig, thanks very much for the link. I will definitely be there on the saturday morning. That will be a great event to meet and greet.

Hi Pete, pm sent

Cheers

Back