Who makes the best GT40?

Thanks for all the comments and opinions, I really appreciate it. Now for my issue...I am 6' 4" tall...which car has the most leg room etc? I tried to drive an ERA Cobra a while back, that didn't work out so well...

Thanks for all the comments and opinions, I really appreciate it. Now for my issue...I am 6' 4" tall...which car has the most leg room etc? I tried to drive an ERA Cobra a while back, that didn't work out so well...

Gosh, at 6'4" I'd suggest the following no matter what manufacturer you choose:

1) Gurney bubble
2) Lowered seating (some may disagree, but you will need it...trust me)
3) Custom seat (I am 6'2" with the above mentioned items and I am having my seat cushion trimmed down still)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The issue is not so much the 6' 4", but the porportions. Long legs or long torso? I have a customer who is 6' 3 or 4 (don't remember) but he fits his SPF GT with some judicious contouring of the stock moulded foam seat. The pedals are adjustable and can be modded to gain another inch or better yet.

Where are you located? We can arrange a "sit-down" with an owners car.

Not often when being tall is a drawback of sorts. Many times in life I'd have killed to be 6' +. But I ain't.....but I do fit in the 40 very nicely indeed. :) CAV as mentioned earlier has a larger (then most) interior. The pedals can be moved, the seat pan was lowered (in the 100+ serial numbered cars) to offer more head room and with the Gurney Bubble you might be just fine. Must be someone on the site in your area where you can test fit yourself in a few different cars. Worth a try.

I can talk from experience as I have built a few replicas now. I would really look into after sales service. There is nothing worse than having a kit that the Manufacturer wont or cant supply parts.

I can tell you that the after sales at RCR is awesome and I dont even have one of Frans kits.Also DRB has fantastic service as well and I enjoyed the process with them.

I am building an RF at the moment and if was not for Fran at RCR and Peter at DRB my car would never get completed. For example I waited 5 months for exterior door handles. I had to get my car painted without the spider door top eyebrows as RF wouldn't supply them, Yes I got some from DRB but they didn't fit. I call them and my call never gets returned.

My point is some cars are easy to build others are just plain painfull.
Extend your research to more than just the car itself.

Last edited:
The best GT40 replica is a personal thing and the one you can pay that meets your needs, limitations and scope. For me it is ERA. I do not know an ERA owner that is not satisfied with their purchase.

Clearly a very subjective thread, but a question we have all asked (or wanted to ask) at some point.

I would suggest a more usefull survey would be to rate each builder/supplier in the following specific areas.

I would like to see them rated 1-10 in the following areas:

-Originality
-Engineering quality of mechanicals
-Fit & finish
-Adaptability (drivetrain options etc)
-Race/track capability
-Street handling
-Instuctions / documentation
-Customer support
-Price / Cost
-Resale Value

This would give prospective buyers/builders a good 0-100 rating with less subjectivity.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I can't begin to tell you how many times this subject has been brought up, beat down and brought up again..

Like in all other threads, the word "best" is highly subjective to what the needs/desires are..

I can't begin to tell you how many times this subject has been brought up, beat down and brought up again..

Like in all other threads, the word "best" is highly subjective to what the needs/desires are..

+1

This horse has been beaten, flogged, drawn and quartered, eviscerated, and sent to sea on a burning Viking longboat.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, this subject “has been beaten, flogged, drawn and quartered, eviscerated, and sent to sea on a burning Viking longboat” but these cars and this website are always attracting new buyers and forum members that are looking for answers like most of us, as Mark pointed out, at some point were (maybe still are). For the ones that are tired of the question they certainly can refrain from responding while others with recent experience and knowledge can chime in. I for one like reading the current responses to this incessant question for validation of my own thoughts and for new information I may not be aware of. What’s funny is each time this subject comes up the thread will take on a life of it’s own and get plenty of traffic and comments. It’d be simple to have a default link to the previous 5,10,15 threads but no, I think forum members like making current assessments.
Continue on.....

Yes, this subject “has been beaten, flogged, drawn and quartered, eviscerated, and sent to sea on a burning Viking longboat” but these cars and this website are always attracting new buyers and forum members that are looking for answers like most of us, as Mark pointed out, at some point were (maybe still are). For the ones that are tired of the question they certainly can refrain from responding while others with recent experience and knowledge can chime in. I for one like reading the current responses to this incessant question for validation of my own thoughts and for new information I may not be aware of. What’s funny is each time this subject comes up the thread will take on a life of it’s own and get plenty of traffic and comments. It’d be simple to have a default link to the previous 5,10,15 threads but no, I think forum members like making current assessments.
Continue on.....

Thanks for putting up with a "newbie" regarding Gt-40's. I fell in love with the car when my neighbor bought an original dark blue 1966 GT-40 back in the mid 1990's. It was right hand drive street driven only car. According to him it had no racing history...I have some pics somewhere, I will post them when I find them. I didn't get an opportunity to go for a ride in it...but he DID let me drive his 1993 F-40 Ferrari. That is one sweet automobile...and my 6' 4" frame actually fit!

Tim,

I think I understand your point. I still remember when I was doing "research" as a newby. But, there are a bunch of threads now dealing with this...and aside from ERA no-longer producing cars, not much has changed for a while.

In my earlier post, I made a brief attempt to categorize cars in a fashion that I hoped would be helpful to the original poster. Maybe it wasn't of much use, but...

As for Mark's suggestion of a rating system, interesting idea, but it would still be very subjective. Suffice it to say that any of the more original-styed mono chassis (SPF, Gelscoe, H-M, Gox, and those guys in New Zealand (can't remember the name right now)) would handle very much like, well, an original. Of course, one would have to consider advancements in shocks and tires, but they should all be more or less the same.

As for ERA, CAV and RCR, I believe they all have suspensions that are somewhat "optimized" for modern tires, so potentially they could handle better than the originals. This is also potentially true for any of the spaceframe cars as well. Realistically, few of us can drive well enough to approach the limits of any of these cars, assuming they are set up correctly.

As for originality....that could take pages. Suffice it to say that most of the mono cars are pretty close, some are very close, and a couple are spot on. The entry price rises exponentially as one attempts perfection. The devil is in the details, how much do you want to pay? ($75K to $500K)

All of the cars that come as rollers (the ones I've personally seen anyway..CAV and SPF) look pretty good right off the boat. Engineering and customer support...depends on who you ask, and what about. All of these cars are built to a price...low or high, and some corners have to be cut. Personally, I'm very happy with my SPF, and consider it a bargin. Other's may not think so, but it depends on your perspective. I once had a Kirkham Cobra, and it was an absolute jewel. Again, I thought it a bargin. But if you only had $40K to spend, it wasn't such a bargin. Again, perspective.

The other details...fit, finish, customer support etc. Most of these are at least somewhat subjective, and depend on how the car is purchased (partial kit, complete kit, roller), and on who does the assembly. I'm not even going to try to cover these. I would suggest you just read up in the respective subforums to get a (somewhat) unbiased idea of the different manufacturers. In the case of SPF, the manufacturer doesn't provide much, but there is a good bunch of dealers and owners that can help you out.

Everyone has to decide what's important to them, and how much you care to spend. Then, the choices become somewhat easier.

Ron

Living in the US not too difficult a questionnaire als long as you do NOT visit RCR.
Fran offers 5 or 6 (come to think of it 6 or 8) cars any petrolhead with racing in his blood absolutely wants. A good thing I am not living in the US, I would be bankrupt.

John

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Living in the US not too difficult a questionnaire als long as you do NOT visit RCR.
Fran offers 5 or 6 (come to think of it 6 or 8) cars any petrolhead with racing in his blood absolutely wants. A good thing I am not living in the US, I would be bankrupt.

John

Me too!:thumbsup:

Sorry about the silly text, was typing on an iPad and the damn thing was correcting and suggesting all by itself.
Nevertheless, I think my message cam across anyway. Living in the US, go visit RCR's candy store. And no, not related in any way. Just sad it is very difficult to get Fran's cars registered overhere in Holland.

John

Continue on.....

I agree that there has been too many threads but I also think it will always be a valid question. Perhaps the powers that be could create a "hot topics" sub forum to help direct traffic for those who are interested particularly the new members. After all, how many threads are there about how to post pictures?

This stuff is so subjective. I have had both an RCR and a Superformance and I'm over 6'2". Both have serious merit but they are different cars and probably meet definerent criteria. Give me a call and we can talk through the pro's and con's. Just shoot me a PM with your number.

Back