Who rides cycles around here?

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
This forum is full of 2 wheeled freaks. Must have something to do with the thrill of high speed motoring. I just spent the weekend riding my 1972 CB750 K2 around the Mornington Peninsula (near the RF factory). The bike sounds fantastic with the baffles removed from the original exhaust.
grin.gif

Bill.

6 boats at the present including a 13 ft aluminium dual cockpit 1955 FEATHERCRAFT, 1964 ALUMINIUM Loan Star, 12 ft riid botom inflatable wth a steering station and NEW sUZUKI 25 hp and a 36 ft Albin Trawler with a 125 hp 8 liter diesl with 350 gal tanks and a 1000 mile range (19 TONS OF PURE, SLOW FUN 7 MPH AVERAGE!) Chip in Atlanta

Jim,

My car is a couple of days away from being finished and driveable, but insurance, titling, road registration will probably
take another ten days to two weeks.
Regarding boats and fishing, check out my website, listed above.

Bill

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Ron,
My 900 has a jet kit and 2 Brothers' pipe (full system). I had the carbs re-worked a little bit at Redden Honda here in Raleigh, and the thing just screams now. Those guys do pretty good work.
As for appearance, it's solid red, mostly stock-looking with the exception of flush-mount turnsignals in the front and a seat cowl on the back. I'm going to be doing some wheel- and frame polishing this month, but should be rolling by mid-April. I would like to do some riding with you sometime. I'll bet you know some great roads.
Also, thanks for the offer to look at your car. I'll send you an e-mail to arrange a time. Maybe next weekend (April 6/7) if you're not too busy.

I have to confess a fantasy I have had for a while...
What would be cooler than a Honda CBX engined Spondon framed beast?
Has anyone seen/heard/laughed at one, or somthing similar?
Rob

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

(six screaming cylinders)

Brian Magee

Supporter
I thought I had better post something to show we brits ride bikes over here as well.
I rode bikes in my youth, mainly small cc strokers.When I retired from kart racing I bought a 350 YPVS Yamaha. I sold that to finance the 40. Now the car has been on the road three years I fancied some leisurely bike sport so I recently bought a Hagon Suzuki road racer. It is a Suzuki TS250 trail bike that was converted in a batch for a racing school back in the 70's. It has a full race engine,alloy rims and fairing 350 forks and front disc etc.
At 60 I shall only be using it for sprinting (Drag racing but against the clock, not the lights.)

My last bike was a Kawasaki ZZR100 D1, but now we have a very lightweight single seat race car powered by a 900cc Suzuki motorcycle engine, which my son is racing this year. Frank

Ron,

I think you have opened a can of worms here ! It's good to see that we are not just a bunch of sad car nuts ! Bikes, bikes, bikes !

At present I have a Honda XR600 (I've had it since 1987 and just cannot bear to part with it), a 1977 Tiumph Bonniville T140V, a Honda CR250 (I used to race motocross) and a Ducati 851 Superbike which I have tuned, ported and fitted a superchipped ignition and a set of wicked stainless race pipes that I made myself (sounds awesome as you growl through remote Scottish Villages !).

Now I know why the GT is taking so long to finish !

Keep it up guys.....nice to know there are others like myself out there. In fact....I think I better let my girlfriend read this string......

Robert,

I'm not sure of what a spondon chassis is, but there is a car going around at the moment called a Radical Clubman. It looks like a small contemporary LeMans style car and is driven by a Suzuki Hyabusa supercharged engine.

I had the unfortunate privilege of competing against one at the 2000 Winton 6Hr. It was an absolute rocket. It sounded like a Formula One car and was the quickest thing on the track - quicker even than a Porsche GT3. Its high on my list of "luv-ta's" but there's a limit to the number of toys one can store in a 2 car garage
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Mark,

Oh yeah, just one other thing Mark, I used to be totally blinkered about fast cars, until my girlfriend (partner) got me into fast bikes. (It didn't take much convincing
grin.gif
grin.gif
) It might help to let your girlfriend know that its not just a guy thing
grin.gif

Any other guys out there with actively supportive partners? I've only read of passive support at best - even for their GT40s.

Ron Earp

Admin
My wife had ridden for about 5 years, right up until we had Sydney. At that point we sold her bike, but she has had a few. A CB-1 (400 sport bike), SV650, and an old KZ750 twin. The best by far was the SV650, not for power but weight and size - very tossable.

As for GT40 support, well she supported bikes better than the car habit. But, I think it is because the car takes up the entire garage and she has no place to park the wagon.

I'm suspended on the car for a little bit because I've got a wire feed welder, exhaust tubing, a turbocharger, and a 1L bike that doesn't have anything to do. Get all that together in one place with a couple of guys and a few beers and something is bound to happen...

Ron

[ March 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp - Administrator ]

Bought a cheap mini bike (not the Sears that I had mentioned) and then added a McCollough MC-9 2 stroke kart racng engine. FAST for what it was. A friend of mine put a 175 Ducati 4 stroke on a 90cc frame. Would pop the clutch to kill the engine and the thing would stand up on it's rear wheel! cb

Been riding since I was about 11 yrs of age after pleading with Dad to take me to see 'On Any Sunday'. It must have worked because shortly after he bought me a bike!
Since then had trail bikes, motocrossers, roadbike, and racebikes.
Currently have a Ducati 851. Bought in '91, turned into a racebike in '95, recently restored and just for fun built and installed a 955 engine with titanium rods, 3/4 race cams, twin injectors, Motec, etc.
130 rwhp 185 kg
fdd6f776.jpg

Also have a '97 996 Corsa racebike, 1 of 20 built by Ducati that year and distributed to race teams around the world. I bought it in '99 and raced it for 2 yrs culminating in '00 World Superbike round at Phillip Island. Awesome bike. 142 rwhp 162kg
fdd6f777.jpg

Retired in '00 due to combination of birth of little guy in first photo, and getting too old to fall off anymore.
I'll be happy if racing the GT40 will provide 80% of the thrill of bike racing with 20-30% of the risk.
Cheers

[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: Mark Ferrari ]

Hey Mark,

I was wondering when you'de pop your head up on this thread. THATS ONE HOT LOOKIN' 996, all except for the bald tyers that is
rolleyes.gif

Don't worry about the racing excitement in the '40. I'll be giving you enough of a "hurry up" on the track to make sure there aint no boring bits
grin.gif

I came across this old photo of my motocross
days. I finished nineth on this day. I was
a heck of a mudder.
grin.gif

Hersh
smile.gif

Sorry guys, I can't seem to get it to work.
I'll keep trying.

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

download

The Gunbus 410 cubic inch V-Twin motorcycle is complete.

The monster engine placed in a motorcycle frame of comparable size looked impossible and many who saw the photos were skeptical of the bike ever being finished, but I guess Clemens F. Leonhardt is one of those persistent guys who ignores the naysayers and keeps at his work.

download

The fuel-injected, 45 degree 6728 cc/410 cubic inch V-Twin runs through a 3 speed transmission with reverse and actually looks pretty good in its finished state. In fact, everything looks good!

It puts out 523 foot pounds of torque.

Seat height is 31.5 inches and overall length is 136 inches.

It is a little heavy at 1433 pounds so high speed corner carving might be an issue and there aren't any photos of the big bike on the road, so I guess we'll have to wait for the road test, that is if someone can actually road test this monster.

download

This is actually going to go into limited series production and a sidecar will be available as well, which might help with balance when waiting at a light.

download

I don't even want to think about a driveway tipover.

download

I bet this sucker eats some gas!!!

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Another CBX fan and (ex) owner. A red 1980 model that I loved.

Since then a GSXR750 and an R6 Yamaha - at which point I decided I am too old for those bikes - as well as not being talented enough to do them justice.

To that end, I am about to purchase a Harley Road King.

I figured I would like to see what the other side sees in them....and I want to take some longer rides.

WOW, talk about being brought back from the dead.

I have an X1 Lightning and an ST2, I'm also looking pretty hard at the new Aprilia, and the 1125R

Back