Why am I conservative??

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doug, I agree with all you say..........with one small exception.

"Long may you run" is also one of my favorite songs. Years ago I went to a C,S,N & Y concert, Mr Young said that "This next song is about my first car and my last girlfriend"............."with trunks of memories still to come"......

ps, Neil now lives just down the road from us, on the "Misty Mountain". I see him from time to time.

This is a great version from the Olympics, a tribute to a car... "but we missed that shift, on the long decline"

<LI class="video-list-item video-list-item-related">4:57<BUTTON class="addto-button default video-actions yt-uix-button yt-uix-button-default yt-uix-button-short" role=button data-button-menu-id="shared-addto-menu" data-feature="thumbnail" data-video-ids="QKu-GiXQ12s" data-button-menu-action="yt.www.lists.addto.toggleMenu">Add to </BUTTON>Neil Young - Long May You Runby drager2198,222 views

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well, Neil would surely know.

I saw him perform it at the Woodlands Pavilion long after the demise of CSN&Y, even CS&N....he performed it with Nils Lofgren playing on, of all things, a broom. Nils scraped that broom across the floor to the beat of the music and it was pure genius.

Neil didn't describe the origins, I just figured it was about his Harley b/c of the line:

<TABLE cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=tl><TD>"With your chrome heart </TD><TD>shinin' </TD><TD>in the </TD><TD>sun"</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

...sounded like a Harley to me, but I YouTubed it and saw another comment that verified your version, apparently Neil attributed the song to his first car and "last girlfriend" on a 1970's album cover.

I stand corrected :idea: . Thanks, Jim :thumbsup:

It's in my songbook, too......

Cheers!

Doug

Back