Why?

After reading many of your posts Tom, you seem like a straight up guy. I have no idea where you are on the course of life's path however, I would venture to say that if you had as many questions, needed as many assurances, wanted to be so sure before getting married, your wife would now be enjoying the comfort of another. :)

IMHO, sometimes, like Nike says... JUST DO IT!!

You'll be as happy or not that you did as you decide to be along the way.

Marcos

What did he tell you was the current delivery estimate? Did he say how many units were ahead of yours?

JR

John,

Frankly, I think I asked every question except what was the anticipated date. Since, my first purchases will be engine and transmission, and they will be the last to install, I think I just figured it would be here by the time I was ready for them.

I'll give Delynn a call next week and get more specifics about time frame and length of wait list and update this message. --Avery

Why? For me it was several reasons. Over the years, I have purchased several custom cars and commissioned to have a custom car built; so now I thought it was about time to try my hand a building my own custom car. This is something that I have always wanted to do but never had the nerve to pull the trigger.

Things have changed drastically (for the better) in my life! Due to some medical issues, I have been inactive for the past 6 years with little to no energy. Now with this new found energy level, all of this spare time not having to go to dialysis 3 times a week and new perspective on life, I decided that it was time to tackle a build. Life is too short and I didn't want to someday say: “I wish I would have done that”. Besides, I haven't figured out how to take my money with me when I depart this planet, so I might as well help this anemic economy and give some of to Fran!

When it comes to cars, I've always had a affinity for the unique/unusual cars. I enjoy high performance sport cars but they have to be something that very few people own and most people haven’t seen before. Currently filling that requirement is a SLS Gull wing and a 63' Corvette split window C6-ZO6 conversion and before them, it was an SLR McLaren.

The SLC certainly filled the unique requirement and after researching it to death, I determined that this was (maybe) within my skill level. I live in a relatively small but huge “car guy town”. You drive down the street and look into the open garages and see hundreds of build projects (mostly street rods); however, many of them have several inches of dust on them and have been been in the build process for seemly decades. This was my big fear; it took me some time to get my wife on board with the build concept and that happened only after promising her that the garage would not have a permanent build tenant.

I plan on using the the SLC as a street toy with some occasional track time. I plan on keeping the customization and fabrication of the kit to a minimum; at lest that is the plan at this per-delivery stage.

As others have stated, for me its as much about the pride of the journey as it is the destination; also its going to be an opportunity to bond with two very good friends! I just wish it would hurry up and get here, I feel that I should be doing something during these four month, so I keep buying stuff.

In summation and an attempt to answer the O. P’s question: I think that there is such a thing as “over thinking” something. Threw out my business career, I relied upon my gut feeling, if after asking all the right questions, doing the due diligence and considering the financial aspects, it still feels right, then step up to the plate and go for it.

Good luck,
Jim

Howard Jones

Supporter
So having asked question Why? Look how may people jumped right in to help. Can you see what I mean about new friends? I told ya so!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's what I would do. I would call Fran and tell him that you want him to let you know when his demo car is ready and he's prepaired to sell units. Then spend a few hundred and fly out to detroit, take a ride, talk options, work out a real cost, and save your money until then.

Thanks, good ideas. I wanted to post this not just for my own reasons, but also just to get people to share what's behind their pursuit of what's really a non-essential item and ultimately just for fun. I figured it might also help some others along their path to building something cool.

I think what I've figured out about my own decision is that the most important thing is whether I want to take on a new hobby of building vehicles. Just like others I have/had, it'll mean time, money, effort, thought, and so on. The other questions I have really follow from there because if you are into a hobby, you'll figure out ways to find time, money, etc.

I have to say, while I like the Apex and the idea that it can be a DD, I also have some lust for a Ferrari powered SLC, just nowhere near the funding!

Back