With a little help from my friends (GT40 research)

This forum and some of the people on it are really great. After having driven both the Superformance MkII en MkI (in that order) I knew I wanted one and so I started reading and posting on GT40s.com. From what I read I was soon able to make a short list in order to contact a few of the different manufacturers. However, there is a lot more to it than that so I tried to find an owner who used his GT40 the way I intend to use mine i.e. trackdays. In my view GT40s were only created with one purpose in mind and that is being driven at any circuit as fast as possible.

So a very intense email correspondence was started with Malcolm who turned out to be very open and willing to give in insight in every aspect of buying, building and living with a 40. This culminated in me visiting Malcolm and his lovely wife Wendy and in three days we drove a couple of hundred miles in his Gulf liveried GTD40 on a wide variety of English roads (honoustly we never exceeded 130 mph) visiting Roy Smart and Southern GT. Unfortunately, my company car broke down which effectively stopped us from visiting Chris Melia as distributor of RCR and Jim Pearson who has a nice GTD for sale (and which is why I wasn’t able to take pictures while visiting Southern GT).

To top it up we went to Silverstone for the RMA trackday (open pitlane) where apart from experiencing Malcolms car on track we also got some first hand experience in fiddling with the set up of his car (it has been further improved, so the times should come down; no pressure Malcolm!).

You can imagine every minute of the day was used discussing the different possibilities of buying second hand and further modifying that car for trackday use, buying new, the differences between Southern GT, MDA and RCR (now you know my shortlist), engine and gearbox options, monocoque versus space frame, you name it. If we weren’t talking we were either sleeping, watching dvd’s of the GTD Club events, or going through books on GT40s.

So has it helped? I really learned a lot and it was great fun. Mick Sollis of Southern GT proved to be a real craftsman and impressed enormously. At the moment he might be the best when it comes to a space frame GT40. I would also entrust him in case I would go for the option of buying a second hand GTD and have a few modifications done like lowering the engine or fitting a roll cage in the cockpit. However, I would still like to see the RCR40 and it’s monocoque and would really like to feel if it’s any good on track. I know Malcolm’s GTD is and I already know who can build me GT40 that will top that.

Thanks a lot Malcolm for all you’ve done for me this week and also a big thank you to Paul who rescued my Peugeot from the hard shoulder of the M25 (there is hidden message in there; never buy French). Next time just drop it from a cliff! By now Dave Parker (another GTD owner) has surely fixed it, so it’ll probably be here again on Monday. Can’t wait to get the 500+ historic magazines out of it.

Cheers!

John

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi John

It was good to have you to stay. Shame your road car wasn't as reliable as my GTD but sometimes, trust me, it can be the other way round!

Glenn came over and I gave hm the keys for a 45 minute run (A3, A339, A31 and home) and he was able to concur the handling improvements since he last drove it. Thanks for your input in deciding what to change and when.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
John

Just wondered why Tornado is not on your short list?

We have been producing the TS40 since 1989 and have been in business longer than all those on your short list put together.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks a lot Malcolm for all you’ve done for me this week and also a big thank you to Paul who rescued my Peugeot from the hard shoulder of the M25 (there is hidden message in there; never buy French). Next time just drop it from a cliff! By now Dave Parker (another GTD owner) has surely fixed it, so it’ll probably be here again on Monday. Can’t wait to get the 500+ historic magazines out of it.

Cheers!

John

Hi John -

I trust all is well with you and your research for a 40 is progressing.

One thing though, that Peugeot that Dave & Jan repaired as an urgent job, they still have NOT been paid for the work....:mad: Could you possibly give the company that hired you the car a 'kick in the backside' re the invoice. You being that side of the channel and speaking the lingo, would most likely progress the matter more easily....

Best regards
Paul :)

Hi John,

If you are ever over in the U.K again visiting Malcolm, you're welcome to come over and take a look at my MDA. I live very close to Malcolm.
Good luck making the decision.
Cheers,
Martin

I'll stick to my shortlist.

John,

I hope you're not discounting the Tornado? it is a cracking car and VERY worthy of your consideration! (and this is from a committed GTD owner!) I've NEVER seen a Tornado that was less than superb.

Simon

Ron Earp

Admin
Fellows, John S. hasn't been on the forum in 2+ months. You might best email him if you need to get in touch with him on something urgent.

Ron

Fellows, John S. hasn't been on the forum in 2+ months. You might best email him if you need to get in touch with him on something urgent.

Ron

It has been a while since I last visited, but thanks for your kind help Ron. I do always read my email, so I was able to reply to Paul. Hopefully, everything worked out as the Dutch RAC has assured me. A real shame a company like the RAC is doing such a lousy job. I hardly dare to come over again.
Anyway, we sold the house and will start building the new one in April. This will get me the double garage I really need.

John

Back